How much are you playing PVP in the "new meta"?

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
We just finished the first full season of PVP with a (it seems) a lot of champed WorthyCaps in the game, giving many players the choice between 2 different sets (Worthy and Bishop) of teams (to fight/skip/use) based on jump-in-front hairtrigger 4's.  So in a way, there is more variety now, something that is often a complaint.  So what is your engagement with PVP now?

How much are you playing PVP in the "new meta"? 99 votes

I am playing PVP more than I used to due to liking it more.
5%
acescrackedhalirinNotBAMFAres76MegaBee 5 votes
I am playing PVP the same amount; I need the rewards.
51%
PuceMoosePorkBellywymtimeKojubatrawfsuSendikelmjackstar0rdvargas1BasepuzzlerjreddJ0nnythejigtiomonoMoosePrimeTwomp_thaDJJackDeath666[Deleted User]ammenellsupergarvChameleonbluewolf 51 votes
I am playing PVP less because it's not fun.
32%
MattR42Kolencesinnerjflfirethornekillercoolburrichtrat73xKOBALTxTiggidaTrerasJSP869LLohmLopan15smiley22LiftoffjustplainchipsJHawkIncmaguirenumber6Alfje17DyingLegend 32 votes
I never liked PVP and I still don't play it.
5%
divouneTrilateralusLilithBubba3210[Deleted User] 5 votes
I don't really have time for PVP so the meta doesn't matter to me.
6%
ZeiramMRIridiousWarbringaJaGomega ghostFesterTester 6 votes

Comments

• Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    This season I was playing more Shield sim than ever. When I shielded out I was 4th with 2,100 points. Last season was a lot harder against Grittyshop only above 1,800 points. But a lot of people were using WorthyCap/HE with JJ or Strange this season. And beating those teams is both a lot of fun but also a bit challenging. Only skipped a few teams with 370 lvl. Peggy's since I fon't like her power that increases the cost of my powers. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there is a difference between PVP and shield sim.  I have played the same amount as I will see Thor Okoye early, and gritty teams late.  Occasionally I will see Bishop teams or Worthy cap.  In Sim I saw a lot more worthy cap and Bishop and the last 200-300 points were a pain and a health pack suck since I felt if I didn’t use one of those 2 characters I would lose hundreds of points.

overall my issue as a 5* player is the meta is stale.  I really want to see two 5* take over the mantle of top meta team compared to Thor Okoye or 5* with broken 4*
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    None of the Above

I'm playing more, but only because my roster is finally strong enough to participate in PvP. Finally making up for my past sins of ignorantly leveling-up my 5*s.
    The "new meta" doesn't change that, but it definitely "tells" me when to stop.

T100 in season placement (SCL8), 4* cover in Shield Sim progression, and 10-pack in season progression. My PvP play is pretty casual, but I'm happy with those rewards. I feel like I'm getting what I put in.
    All of this is possible solely because of my significantly faster play in PvE (Thanks, Juggs!).

• StormDragonE55
    StormDragonE55 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I'm playing about the same as before, but with lots of skips since I don't have a team that can deal with bishop and gritty teams.  I generally avoid gritty, but will sometimes tackle a team with bishop and another combo.  My goals are usually hit the 10 cp level and if time permits continue on until I hit the 28 wins for the 3 star cover.  If I need the 4 star cover to finish or step closer to fully coverin a character then I'll attempt to go to 40.  I almost always go to 40 wins to get the new character.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not down by a whole lot, but there are def more events where I'm just 575 and out, rather than going to 900. The wall of HammerHawk and GritShop just gets too frustrating sometimes, especially when it ends up combined with a few bad cascades or whatever wrecking me on what should have been easy matches.
    It would be way, way worse if I weren't ISO-positive. As it is, I can skip as much as necessary as long as I can do it quickly enough to not get hit during my climb.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really have time for PVP so the meta doesn't matter to me.
    I generally play to 575 to get 10 CP, unless I have extra time or the 4* cover is really coveted.  It is annoying in the Simulator imo getting both the Bishop/Gritty and Cap/Hawkeye.   

I believe that Worthy Cap is actually worse than Bishop. At least with Bishop, you can make a lot of different but effective team combos, although Gritty is probably the most efficient.  Worthy Cap pairs only with Hawkeye effectively in the 5* meta, so he is only effective for a much smaller portion of players due to this.  I can only speak to 5* meta, I am sure he is good with Coulson and others in the 4* meta. 
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    I play the same amount of PVP, but that's only because I have only maxed 4*s and no levelled 5*s, and I do not play against meta teams. I already don't enjoy PVP very much, so I really don't want it to become even more of a hassle, so I skip any 5* opponents (have almost 20M Iso so skips are no problem) and only play in the final few hours of a PVP bracket, and up to 900 points and then shield up if possible on 10 Health Packs. So far I haven't had any problems with overwhelming amounts of those meta teams, but if they ever become a problem I would probably play less (to 575 or so) or skip PVP altogether.

This wasn't an option in the poll (I don't really NEED the rewards so much tbh.), but I felt like putting this out there. Maybe there are more people who don't give a monkey's about going up to 5*(+ some 4*) PVP.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    I think there's an option missing: I keep playing but I avoid the new meta
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Firmly in the 5* tier, the prevalence of Bishop/WorthyCap has really lowered my engagement. I cannot be bothered to deal with this gross oversight regarding these two getting triggered by single match damage from a 5*, it is obviously broken and the little that we've heard is that everything is fine and according to plan.

Guess what, it is not fine and PVP is degenerating into everyone putting these 2 clowns on defense because they're basically a free shield. 

Grocket + Kitty is also still ridiculous and not fun to play again.

PVP was barely fun before, now it is straight up awful and I treat it more like a chore than ever before.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I’m playing more. Gritty teams kinda killed pvp for me, but now I’m seeing some variety. My BSSM only needs one cover, too, so with shards incoming, even the Gritty of it all is looking better. 
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    I think there's an option missing: I keep playing but I avoid the new meta
    Yep, agree with this.  I am playing the same amount because I enjoy the competition and aim for placement rewards. But I will skip the Hawkeye/HammerCap, JJ/Bishop, Strange/Bishop teams in pick-2 pvp. 
    In pick-3 events I will take them on sometimes and enjoy the puzzle of beating them, but only after skipping through the rest of the q to see if there's anything I prefer..
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I'm playing less, even though I have Hawkey and Cap and Bishop and almost all the other 5*s that matter for countering these teams. 

It's still not really fun to play these broken characters over and over again. 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    PvP really isn't much fun any more. It's the playground of the super whales now. Every team I see is champed Kitty and R4G. I only have four covers for my own Kitty Pryde so I can't even compete. I can barely make it to three figures before being attacked. Half the time I don't even get the chance to fight the seed teams. I used to be able to get to 575 for the CP fairly easily, but now I don't bother with PvP because I know that it'll drain all my health packs :-(
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2019
    4* player. Playing more than ever before because I'm not getting creamed by 5* players who should be way out of my league nearly as often. I used to get hit by 5* players even when the retal was 50+ points just because if they saw me (which is nonsense that they even could), they could hit me with impunity.

With Cap and Bishop, it feels like 5* players are a little more cautious about hitting us 4*'s. And that is a good thing.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had 5-star Hawkeye champed because of his awesome synergy with Coulson and G4mora. When Worthy Cap came along, I was fully prepared to become part of the problem.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2019
    sinnerjfl said:
    NotBAMF said:
    4* player. Playing more than ever before because I'm not getting creamed by 5* players who should be way out of my league nearly as often. I used to get hit by 5* players even when the retal was 50+ points just because if they saw me (which is nonsense that they even could), they could hit me with impunity.

With Cap and Bishop, it feels like 5* players are a little more cautious about hitting us 4*'s. And that is a good thing.
    As a 5* player, do you know how often a 4* team is even worth hitting during a climb to 1200? I usually see about maybe three 4* teams that are worth not even 40 pts per PVP, and that's only because I've broken MMR and the game has run out of targets to give me. Most of the time I don't even bother, I just shield and wait for better targets.
    (its always when you reach about 800 until approx 925)

This whole narrative of "4* teams getting slaughtered by 5* teams" is just not true. We cannot queue 4* teams unless we reach a certain score and under specific conditions, and the game will stop giving you 4* teams as soon as it finds better targets.

The real problem is people that have a few 5*'s champed that we can queue all the time but they are using Bishop/Worthycap as a free shield because they're just that broken. It's not a good thing, it is a problem sucking the fun out of PVP. 

4* characters should not totally invalidate  5* characters (much harder to cover and champ) just because of some broken tinykitty they didnt think about. 
    So you're just calling me a liar? Okay, cool.Cool cool cool cool cool. 

To be sure, I can only speak for my own personal anecdotes, but prior to Bishop and Cap, once I got over 650 pts or so, if I went unshielded longer than 5 minutes at a time, I'd get hit by at least one or two teams with double 5* champs. And they would hit me regardless of what I was worth because I was a sitting duck and couldn't retaliate.

Nowadays, I almost never get hit by such teams, and I can climb longer.

It's just my personal experience playing the game, but please don't sit there and "NUH UH" me when I'm telling you for a fact it happened constantly.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,761 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never liked PvP and play the absolute minimum since I champed my first 5*. I do see more Cap/Bishop teams now, makes a change from the endless stream of Gritty teams, since I have no chance of defeating either it doesn't make much difference in the end.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I'm a 4* player playing in S5 who typically enters PvP very early (ie the day it opens).

I usually climb to 575 using Grocket/Juggs who are around L290 and then I wait a day or so for retals. I occasionally get dual champ 5* team (or champed Gritty) hits in my retal queue. Likely for the reason OJSP says (lack of targets).

But within say 24 hrs to go when I resume my climb to 900, I never get hit by dual 5* teams till I break MMR around 800ish. So I make sure I have 3 good targets in my queue when I am around 780-800 so I can quickly do 3 battles and reach 900 for the 4* cover.

KGB