Will you hoard before shards?

2»

Comments

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am Smaug. The petty developments of humans do not concern me.
    I hoard in waves.  Sometimes for a while, sometimes not, just however I feel.  I only had around 20 CP right now, so figured that my 3/4/5 Hela could do with a BH rather than shards, so I pulled 1 classic just for fun.  5*Cable!  With a bonus Hela!  

Unfortuately, I now have a 3/4/6 Hela.  :neutral:  Guess I should have waited for shards....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't hoard and won't hoard.
    I've landed 0 bonus characters at any tier since making the decision to not save up for Shard. You never know though, could be the next one! or the next! Maybe this one!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't usually hoard, but I will be saving my tokens for shards.
    Hoarding like the winter is coming. I might open my Standard Tokens before R191 kicks in because it's going to be tiring opening more than 100 of them in one sitting.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Hoarding like the winter is coming. I might open my Standard Tokens before R191 kicks in because it's going to be tiring opening more than 100 of them in one sitting.
    You should def. wait for that update then :) Check the new release notes!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    You should def. wait for that update then :) Check the new release notes!
    Unless you are feeling lucky BH wise.

I opened 80 standards tonight while watching Turdsday Night Football and I hit 4 BH's thanks to 4 3* draws. That won't be possible under the new system (I wouldn't even earn 2). It was literally the only fun of opening standard tokens and now it's gone.

KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I ended up landing a 3* bonus hero today. Still a little time for a 4* or 5* before <early next week>
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    I have rarely been a hoarder and have decided to open all tokens before the switch to shards because of the higher odds.

However, after the shard era begins, I plan to start hoarding enough to be able to pull one 5* for required 5E if necessary.  I will also try to hoard enough to pull several levels of 4*s to quickly level them for Shield training.

Without the RNG factor I should be able to hoard the exact number of tokens necessary which appeals to me.

I reserve the right to change my mind when the shard system is actually put into practice rather than in theory only.  We have much missing information.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I just wanted to add that many surveys could be greatly improved by adding "I am Smaug. The petty developments of humans do not concern me." as an option.  Anybody from the U.S. Department of Commerce listening?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    I already hoard LT and CP, and I will continue to hoard those only.
    Borstock said:
    I can't do the math, but the most convincing mathematical arguments in the shards thread point to the new feature resulting in a reduction in covers overall. I see no reason to hoard based on the new system implementation.

That said, I'm already hoarding LTs and CPs until Carnage rotates out.

Not to derail the conversation, but the other thread is like 72 pages now so here's the nutshell version:

Straight up token pulling only, shards are something like a 20% decrease. But the wildcard is that the devs said there will be other ways to get shards besides opening tokens. So if (big if, big unknown) there are enough other shards to earn, you'll actually earn extra covers faster in total.

Shardhead: Yeah, and with BH the volatility is so much higher. I might pull 100 tokens and get 0 bonus heroes, and with shards I'm guaranteed progress.

Bonus Heroine: Correct, but you might also get 100 bonus heroes. With shards, you'll have 100 shards no matter what. No chance to get lucky!

Shardhead: With shards, I don't just target the toon, I target the color cover I want. Under BH, you might get a color you don't want or have to save. Not a problem for me!

Bonus Heroine: Sure, but you might earn 100 shards, then naturally draw the cover you wanted, then have to switch your shard earning to a new character, starting from 0 again. With BH, if I naturally draw what I want before I get the bonus hero, I can switch to a new character and there is no sunk cost--I have just as much chance to get a BH on the new toon.

EDIT: From what I can tell, I do not believe shards are color-specific, just character-specific. Adjusted to reflect this assumption.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoarded a bit after I finished covering 5torm, until she would be kicked out of the token pool by Carnage. I'm impartial to Carnage but wouldn't mind getting a few covers for him while trying to complete pX and/or Iceman. So, did a bit of pulling yesterday but while I stopped after completing my covers for pX, I think I will do my remaining pulls before the TH system kicks in. Not many pulls left so wouldn't make much of a dent towards sharding anyway.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I just wanted to add that many surveys could be greatly improved by adding "I am Smaug. The petty developments of humans do not concern me." as an option.  Anybody from the U.S. Department of Commerce listening?
    I’m glad you think so! Personally, I’ve been conflicted about whether it should have been “petty affairs” instead. Maybe that should be its own poll to decide the best version...
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Petty concerns?
  • AWorthyChap
    AWorthyChap Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    I've been hoarding, but plan to open before BHs go away.
    Has anyone crunched the numbers comparing 3/4/5* shards vs. BH?  I know that BH will net more 5* covers than shards, but at first glance it seems like all other token types will net more 3* and 4* covers through shards than BH?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I ended up with a couple more 3* bonus heroes, but nothing higher tier than that. I guess Shards are live on steam as of today, so we'll see what happens when it hits iOS.