Will you hoard before shards?

halirin
halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
We have a week until the new feature rolls out. There's been plenty of discussion about the relative odds from bonus heroes vs. shards (it seems shards give you fewer extra heroes on average), but I'm personally on the fence about whether I'd rather open marginal tokens in the new system or the old.

I often feel unlucky about bonus heroes (but I don't track my pulls, so maybe it's all in my head), so that suggests I should hoard all pulls.

On the other hand, the math! Also, shards will presumably be around a long time, so I'll get plenty of tokens in the new system. 

What are you thinking and why? 

Will you hoard before shards? 102 votes

I don't usually hoard, but I will be saving my tokens for shards.
25%
afsplatchrisHdivounenorthnorthZootSaxtiomonoMoosePrimepheregasultimate_rizzogentgeenrg72Amsha3gargrenadierHoundofShadowScofiefuguecmXheroeskittledaddyMaxPowersMrEd95 26 votes
I don't hoard and won't hoard.
17%
KolenceChipster22jackstar0LilithDyingLegendMushroomGenius808TenebraerobertbahTeamStewieHistamielPtahhotepPalookavilleNotBAMFThaRoadWarriorAres76spidyjedi84Southside84itsuka7 18 votes
I already hoard LT and CP, and I will continue to hoard those only.
29%
nbperpPorkBellyantreas1911Polareskillercooltrat73GrimSkaldwymtimeSendikelmWarbringarataplanJackDeath666The Viceroy ReturnssupergarvturbomoosegranneMonsoon3Wilgercaptainheathikul 30 votes
I've been hoarding, but plan to open before BHs go away.
8%
sinnerjflvudu3xKOBALTxrdvargas1krak0GENxSLADEBarnstormer[Deleted User]AWorthyChap 9 votes
I am Smaug. The petty developments of humans do not concern me.
18%
Bryan LambertDeNapparawfsuUNC_SamurairainkingucdLLohm[Deleted User]bluewolfmaguirenumber6PiMacleodHilkfurbear00000ManoPAEd_DragonriderMegaBeeNeoktheoneOmegasedGodzillafan67tsdchaos 19 votes

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Cached in one 1000 standard and elite tokens last night, but held on to my other tokens because I use them strategically vs pure farming 
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not enough time to build up a meaningful hoard.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll certainly delay opening the tokens I have (Elites Heroics but not Standards as I can still score a full Bonus 3 on those) simply because the new system will be pointless to play with if you don't bring anything to plug in. That said - I already opened my LT's to make sure that any 5* covers I would be receiving would be 100% not Carnage and it was then going to be my intention to start hoarding until next 5* release. Depends on how this goes down as to whether I change course.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    I'll keep doing things the way I've always done them, I've decided not to change my patterns... I spend-hoard-spend-hoard based on characters (waiting for Storm to leave) and not based on bh drops.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I recently made the decision to hoard vault tokens, but I otherwise cash in my token cache and I will not bend to D3's whims.  ...though I really might as well hoard for the next week.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't hoard and won't hoard.
    I'm not hoarding because I'd really like to try my luck at landing the last 3 America Chavez covers I need to finish Jessica Jones before my timeline for that drops from "maybe today?" to "definitely in 1.5 months."
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    I already hoard Legendary and cp for when new 5*'s come out I can get a new cover.  Being unhappy with dilution I haven't really been opening stuff like heroics so I have a pretty big hoard there
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Accidently spent my standards and elites today... Oh well.  Not used to needing to hoard them. 

But i will for this new feature.  Might as well roll into it guns blazing.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Already hoarding CP/LT as I have the Latest 3 champed. 

Will start hoarding Heroics not just until the feature is live, but after as well, so I can open up 133 at a time in case I need a ST cover in a pinch. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    This new system even more favorable favors the hoarders.  Join the herd or get left behind, unfortunately.  I hate hoarding.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    I've been hoarding since the Targetting was first teased. I figured it would be something like this shard system.
    Confession, I have been opening tacos, story vaults, and standard tokens as i didn't think they would implement it for those types of pulls - guess I was wrong on standard tokens. Oh well, I got some 3* BHs along the way, good enough for me.

I'm curious to see how many will pop the hoard BEFORE the shards take effect. One last swing at BHs. I won't likely be in that group, but haven't completely ruled it out.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2019
    Was hoarding to avoid more Storm champ levels, but kinda thinking of risking it for last minute BHs if they happen.

Really don't care about not legendary tokens.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm already hoarding LT/CP as my Storm is at the level that I deem is best (459 seems fine for her.)  What's more, I've finished Iceman and drew two Carnage from his featured tokens so... I'll probably hoard CP and pull LTs until I've gotten about 5 Carnage covers and hopefully finished Prof X.  Neither Carnage nor Iceman is really worth a ton of extra levels, I think, so I'm planning on spending carefully.  It will be interesting to see how good whomever follows Iceman is - if they are I may well end up with a ton of pulls.  If not, I'll probably keep a huge buffer of CP.
    This is a long way to say I think shards are no better or worse than Bonus Heroes, and plan on pulling normally both before and after.  They may be very slightly worse, since I'll end up with less "bonus" covers, but the difference seems to be pretty small.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I hoarded all tokens except vault tokens when the new feature was announced.  I did a short write up in the new feature section about the impact on lesser tokens (standard, elite, heroics) with a view of my roster and my plan.  In summary, I plan on opening all of my standards and elite before the new feature and will hoard my heroics to a point. I will continue to hoard LT/CP as the new system changes don't change the math in the most effective way to add fully covered 5* to your roster is through LT hoards.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I hoarded all last year and opened my stash during this year's Anniversary. It made me realize how much I was holding back my roster development, so I'm no longer doing it. I'll get the shards when I get the shards, not worried about it.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't do the math, but the most convincing mathematical arguments in the shards thread point to the new feature resulting in a reduction in covers overall. I see no reason to hoard based on the new system implementation.

That said, I'm already hoarding LTs and CPs until Carnage rotates out.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    pheregas said:
    This new system even more favorable favors the hoarders.  Join the herd or get left behind, unfortunately.  I hate hoarding.
    I actually don't understand how this is true? all it's really done is remove the "chance" part of bonus heroes. can you explain why this is the case?

let's not forget we'll be able to get shards other places too

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    WTH is a shard?
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:
    WTH is a shard?
    Bishop's sister.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:
    WTH is a shard?
    A nickname that some people call me because they're too damn lazy to type four more letters. 

Anyway, I'm only hoarding cp and LTs. Trying to get one or two more 4* bonus heroes before they kill off that system.