New Feature in R191: Shards

2456732

Comments

  • jp1jp1 Posts: 756 Critical Contributor
    Last thing before I quit beating this drum...

    Who is making these decisions? You fellas are consistently devaluing our resources, both in game and real dollars. It is almost insulting at this point. This is the bone you throw at us? 

    Marketing department must be having a fun time.
  • DogfaceDogface Posts: 714 Critical Contributor
    If i'm reading this correctly, if you pull a LT, you get 3 5* shards PLUS 15 4* shards, which means you're working on two targeted heroes at the same time. That would change the math.
  • The rockettThe rockett Posts: 1,959 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    IceIX said:
    @IceIX does this mean feeders are dead and we will not get anymore?  
    No, and... not dead. Champion Rewards updates are not coming with this launch, but the Shards system impacts them, which is why feeders have kind of halted for the moment.
    Thank you for being honest with this since Feeders have been a huge hot button.  At least we have an answer, even if we do not agree with it.  

    As others have pointed out, Shards will be a lower rate than BH which isn’t good.  Any reasoning behind that? 
    Statistically on say, Legendaries, about 33% of players would fail to pull a single BH from 167 pulls. Some of those players that pull a BH would pull a cover they don't need. With this system, 100% of players get the character and cover they want (assuming they've fav'd one character anyway).

    This also is just in regards to pulls. As stated towards the end, the Shards will be rolled out elsewhere in the game. So you won't just be gaining Shards from pulls, you'll get them from progressions, or placements, or Champ Rewards, or whatever, which, if you're looking for 5s currently is not the case.
    Ok.  If i am understanding this, the “reduction” of shard rate compared to BH is because there will be other NON- monetary ways to earn them.  If this could be PVE, PVP, SIM, champ rewards etc.  This almost seems a little like CPs being in other parts of the game. 

    Will you be able to get/earn  3*/4*/5* shards in these other parts of the game?  Just want to make sure all levels will be earnable.  . 
  • IceIXIceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,543 Site Admin
    Dogface said:
    If i'm reading this correctly, if you pull a LT, you get 3 5* shards PLUS 15 4* shards, which means you're working on two targeted heroes at the same time. That would change the math.
    Correct.

    IceIX said:
    IceIX said:
    @IceIX does this mean feeders are dead and we will not get anymore?  
    No, and... not dead. Champion Rewards updates are not coming with this launch, but the Shards system impacts them, which is why feeders have kind of halted for the moment.
    Thank you for being honest with this since Feeders have been a huge hot button.  At least we have an answer, even if we do not agree with it.  

    As others have pointed out, Shards will be a lower rate than BH which isn’t good.  Any reasoning behind that? 
    Statistically on say, Legendaries, about 33% of players would fail to pull a single BH from 167 pulls. Some of those players that pull a BH would pull a cover they don't need. With this system, 100% of players get the character and cover they want (assuming they've fav'd one character anyway).

    This also is just in regards to pulls. As stated towards the end, the Shards will be rolled out elsewhere in the game. So you won't just be gaining Shards from pulls, you'll get them from progressions, or placements, or Champ Rewards, or whatever, which, if you're looking for 5s currently is not the case.
    Ok.  If i am understanding this, the “reduction” of shard rate compared to BH is because there will be other NON- monetary ways to earn them.  If this could be PVE, PVP, SIM, champ rewards etc.  This almost seems a little like CPs being in other parts of the game. 

    Will you be able to get/earn  3*/4*/5* shards in these other parts of the game?  Just want to make sure all levels will be earnable.  . 
    I can't speak to exactly what the rewards will be in the other parts of the game since they aren't finalized yet. However, your assumption is a pretty sound one.
  • St_BernadusSt_Bernadus Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    When does this come into the game? When is R 191 going to be available?
  • IceIXIceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,543 Site Admin
    When does this come into the game? When is R 191 going to be available?
    We don't announce exact dates since we're beholden to first party (Apple/Amazon/Google) store approvals and they've been wonky sometimes. I'd expect it early next week (week of the 18th) though.
  • jp1jp1 Posts: 756 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    RickOShay said:
    jp1 said:
    Dogface said:
    Isn't the chance for a BH something like 5%? With a 1 in 7 chance for a 5*, that's a chance of 1 in 140 for a 5* BH. With 3 shards per Legendary/Classic pull, you need a bit more pulls (around 166), but that's without shards you might pick up otherways. Plus, as said, you get to pick your color.
    Ever purchase a 40 pack and get 4 or 5 bonus 4* toons? Say goodbye to those days. Same for 3s.

    What about getting a run of 5* BH (in this case meaning more than one) while a much wanted character was in packs? Also gone.

    Even if you ran hot with your odds during your example. your lifetime expectations will fall right in line with the stats. 
    Therefore, it may not feel like an improvement, but I assure you that choosing a specific color will outweigh your concerns in the long run.
    Specific colors haven’t been a large concern of mine at my rate of cover acquisition. So, I would have to disagree about that. 

    However, I recognize some folks will be happy with the trade off. Especially folks with an abundance of spare hp who are making consistent placement.

    It undermines the joy you might find in lucking into a great cover and doesn’t really offer much in return. It certainly isn’t improving acquisition rates which desperately needs addressing.
  • FesterTesterFesterTester Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    IceIX said:
    Dogface said:
    If i'm reading this correctly, if you pull a LT, you get 3 5* shards PLUS 15 4* shards, which means you're working on two targeted heroes at the same time. That would change the math.
    Correct.
    It is correct that you would be working on two targeted heroes at the same time, but that does NOT change the math, it has already been taken into consideration when stating the odds earlier.

    What would change the math is shards being given out in-game for things other than token pulls, that is still up in the air at this time.

    Would like to see a statement about useless shards accumulating across several characters, especially if shards given out in-game are character specific (the screen grab already shows character-specific shards in a storefront).

  • OmegasedOmegased Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    i'm.... Torn. I'm disappointed that bonus heroes are going. For 3star characters, I like having multiple bonus so i just favourite ones that are about to give me the next cool rewards.

    I honestly don't see how this is any better at fixing dilution. the tiny fraction of improvement doesn't really sit with me as a step forward.

    At any rate, i'll wait for it to start. hopefully it's way better than it sounds.
  • HoundofShadowHoundofShadow Posts: 3,243 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the new character interface a lot. It gives me a RPG vibe where the characters' weapons, armours etc are all shown on a single page.

    As for Targeted Heroes, I find it strange that some are still surprised/disappointed that the concept of "balance" means "give and take". 

    As seen in other parts of the game, guaranteed stuff cost more than stuff gained via RNG. For example, it cost 500CP/720CP for a guaranteed latest cover but it could take as low as 25CP to get one. Naturally, it will cost more pulls for guaranteed cover of your choice.

    Instead of getting 1/87 chance and future diminishing chance of getting a 4* of your choice, it is now capped at 400/15 or 27 pulls.

    For classic 5*, instead of 1/210 chance and future diminishing chance of getting the Classic 5* of your choice, it's now fixed at 167 pulls.

    Obviously, no solution will satisfy all parties but I think for those casual players, which I believe make up the majority of the playerbase, this is a great help for them.

  • OmegasedOmegased Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Hey IceIX, if a character I've bonused (or favourited, or whatevs) appears in the daily store, will i get an alert?

  • St_BernadusSt_Bernadus Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    I have been on those long stretches of pulls with no 5s at all, I appreciate this is kind of a streak breaker and I like making steady progress better than it being all on a random chance. I can see some prefer to take their chances but I am ok with giving this new system a chance. I have a hoard to open too.
Sign In or Register to comment.