Broken brackets. Ruined fun.

Options
Firinmahlazer
Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
I was genuinely looking forward to the Halloween event and then I joined at 1854/100. Being that I'm missing the 2 required PW I have no chance of making it above 100 for placement rewards. How are we this far into the game and the Devs still can't make an event that isn't screwed up?

Comments

• Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IKR, At the least they could let us borrow the planewalkers fort he event.  Instead, most are at a disadvantage.  Stack on top of that that they have an error in the bracket size...  WHo knows, maybe now that they have tricked us, they may treat us later?
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I found the event itself painful. The food/tricks/treats flashing across the screen constantly. No strategy to it, certainly no fun to it. I just keep tapping the screen till the turn ends and see where I end up. "Oh, my creatures died at some point, and I gained 4 life. Ok." Slow, brutal slog. I don't even care about the bracket, because there was no chance I'd play passed progression rewards.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I liked the variety and randomness of the trick or treat possibility, but the trick/treat images were perfectly slow and repetitive enough to slow the game down but fast enough to where I had to screenshot and review the cards outside the app to actually read what they did.

Still beats just breaking out that same 'ol Halloween event from last year...and the year before...and the year before...
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm a bit annoyed by the negatives posts here for the Trick or Treat event, so I'm posting my experiences. First of all, it's a BIG plus that the devs created a brand new event, instead of rerunning the old Halloween event. You wanted new events, right? Secondy, I like the flavor of the event and the randomness of the Trick or Treat gems. Yes, the animations can slow the game down, but that shouldn't ruin take the focus off of the event itself. I like and would like to say THANK YOU to the devs. Also, the rewards, new cards are pretty solid.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Machine said:
    I'm a bit annoyed by the negatives posts here for the Trick or Treat event, so I'm posting my experiences. First of all, it's a BIG plus that the devs created a brand new event, instead of rerunning the old Halloween event. You wanted new events, right? Secondy, I like the flavor of the event and the randomness of the Trick or Treat gems. Yes, the animations can slow the game down, but that shouldn't ruin take the focus off of the event itself. I like and would like to say THANK YOU to the devs. Also, the rewards, new cards are pretty solid.
    I haven't even played the event because I'll be play for a few common cards and 10 jewels. My point is that the screwed up brackets make getting a placement reward impossible for me and I'm sure many others. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Machine said:
    Look, we're all happy that there is a new event.

But when half of it is broken (did you know matching the trick or treat gems counts as a spell so your werewolves can't transform?  I didn't) there is definitely a good reason to complain a bit.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TBH, I didn't realize the brackets were screwed up, so I guess they did NOT come up with a 100% bug-free event, but it was close.

As to the need for Kaya and Arlinn, yeah, I can see people not being happy with not having them "loaned out" so they could try them out (and actually get above 1K in a 100 bracket. :neutral:  ) and that might be something for next time. 

This IS the first time they've had TWO PW's required for nodes IIRC, so I'll totally give that's not "nice" for newer folks who don't/can't afford to grab every PW. 

Oddly I think it was only luck that I had Arlinn because a year or so back I was bored and thought I would buy her for crystals. 

So yeah I think the event, itself, was creative, fun and annoyingly (too many food and ToT tokens for my "taste" ;) ) entertaining, maybe next time there can be some compromise on the PW requirements and a better check on the bracket blocking.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Some people will be dissatisfied with anything short of perfection.  That's not a criticism, just an observation / fact of life, and not trying to single anyone out.  Everyone's free to decide their own satisfaction thresholds, but it does mean that I expect anything new to attract negativity unless it is, in fact, perfect.

ToT wasn't perfect.  (And yeah, missing rewards are significant in a reward-oriented game.) But looking at the content as a whole, I thought it was well done.  Nice flavour.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    starfall said:
    Machine said:
    First of all, it's a BIG plus that the devs created a brand new event, instead of rerunning the old Halloween event. You wanted new events, right? 
    You point here is that "anything new must therefore be good"?
    No, that's not my point. I agree that the event had its bugs, like the screwed up brackets. My point is that we, the community, complained in several threads about the lack of new content. Now we got new content and all I was reading were complaints. They could have opted to run the old Halloween event for the third time in a row. I'd rather choose this new event over the old event.

@Mburn7: Sure, you can complain about the broken things, but you can also complement about the good stuff. Since I also have the tendency to complain over complimenting, I thought pointing out the positive aspects of the event shouldn't be missing.
  • Mcclaine
    Mcclaine Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    I enjoyed the event, if for no other reason than to use walkers I don’t use much. Even for the third node, I thought I would go for Nahiri rather than any of the triple color planeswalkers because I enjoyed coming up with decks for Kaya and Arlinn.
    The trick or treat mechanics were interesting if a little aggravating at times, and felt thematically appropriate for the upcoming set. 
    That being said, joining at 800+ in the rankings did not inspire me to grind for the top rank while a coalition event was ongoing. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Machine said:
    First of all, it's a BIG plus that the devs created a brand new event, instead of rerunning the old Halloween event. You wanted new events, right? 
    You point here is that "anything new must therefore be good"?

Your point here is anything the devs make isn't?
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Machine said:

The event was fresh and honestly I enjoyed it. I personally did not have any speed or play issues resulting from the trick or treat supports popping left and right. For me personally the supports popped at a rather high speed so I didn't feel the drag any more than if I was looping.

A mention earlier that the event didn't have any strategy, it kind of did and kind of not. it was easy to build for, but the crazy amount of Trick or treat support pops threw in a weird mix that challenged you on the go but wasn't game breaking or was underwhelming either. One issue I found was that this event appeared to have an impressive amount of cascades... if this was a PvP event I would have gotten slaughtered.

I for one am glad the devs were able to deliver an interesting event. but sad that they bracketed it so badly and the missing rewards at the end took some of good fluff it had going for it.