Rotation of sets

Comments

• Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler

29 turns is really sad. I activated her A1 four times and her A3 twice (needed the second time cause my board was wiped and I wanted to end it as fast as possible).

I'm just doing my best to understand your worry about her and all these cards you've listed. She's not even a tier 1 PW.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    Try Lazav ,Notion Thief or Tombbound Lich with Underrealm Lich or some other surveil cards. Rupture spire while we have  it instead of the gate. Usually the game will go 10-15 turns with a 40-50 pt laser from her 3rd ability. She'll become much stronger when the sets rotate out and the game slows down. I'm having good results from her and that heal/laser just turns the game on its head, but to each his/her own.
    The interaction between the liches can dump quite of few cards into your graveyard. Underrealm Lich is the key card to get out first.
    Even better can be walking archive with Lich...

• OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Aeroplane said:
    Try Lazav ,Notion Thief or Tombbound Lich with Underrealm Lich or some other surveil cards. Rupture spire while we have  it instead of the gate. Usually the game will go 10-15 turns with a 40-50 pt laser from her 3rd ability. She'll become much stronger when the sets rotate out and the game slows down. I'm having good results from her and that heal/laser just turns the game on its head, but to each his/her own.
    The interaction between the liches can dump quite of few cards into your graveyard. Underrealm Lich is the key card to get out first.
    Even better can be walking archive with Lich...

Wow, I just tried that and I gotta say... I feel kind of mean. 'Slodes real nice, though.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    That's a more reasonable speed, and I'm not saying she's not fun to use, it was more that the initial post I responded to sounded like she and a handful of control cards were going to dominate the meta and I doubt that will be the case.

Playing her in a more combo'ish shell does make her A3 much more significant of a threat a lot sooner than with all those control cards.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    The big deal about Kaya isn't really being fast or not (it is something, obviously, but she's far from being the only fast win option).

The big deal about kaya is ... How do you deal with a skill that is unstoppable, heals consistently enough to survive until you're able to oneshot the oponent?

I'm not sure there's really something to be afraid of ... But i can get Why @aeroplane highlights her potential in a slower meta.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    In some ways, we already have a few events that are starting us down the "learn the new meta" track where we can only use Ravnica or newer...
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Serum Powder is the new BSZ
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:
    Bacon Bolt will still beat everything.
    Kaya is bacon-challenged, though. Not her fault. ;)
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    As much I like what we have currently in standard,. I can't wait for change.  I seem to play the same cards in almost every deck.  It will be nice to figure so new strategies and will make it more competitive for awhile.
  • Azerack
    I've already started making decks with the switch out in mind. Given that when Throne comes out I'll have few of the cards, it's a safe bet I'll need ALL the M20 cards to help my decks out, initially. 

Mind you, having seen Throne cards during my time playing Arena, some of them look fun. :)
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Azerack said:
    I've already started making decks with the switch out in mind. Given that when Throne comes out I'll have few of the cards, it's a safe bet I'll need ALL the M20 cards to help my decks out, initially. 

Mind you, having seen Throne cards during my time playing Arena, some of them look fun. :)
    They can also completely miss the point when translating to PQ ... M20 was a solid paper set ... And it is not very inspiring in PQ.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bil said:
    Azerack said:

They can also completely miss the point when translating to PQ ... M20 was a solid paper set ... And it is not very inspiring in PQ.
    The very first discussion Octagon had with the forums stated that they were working to keep cards closer to their paper versions. This was a common complaint about Hibernium not doing so and "ruining" good paper cards that may have worked very well directly translated. Despite this being a good thing on one side of the coin, I does make the game more stale on the other side of that coin.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Azerack said:

To be fair, there are a lot of great cards from the Ravnica sets.
    So you don't need ALL of M20 to stay on top (although obviously the more cards the better)
    Bil said:
    Azerack said:

I dunno, I like the bit of M20 I have so far.  There are some solid cards, and most of the leylines are surprisingly useful.  I think Oktagon did a good job with it (except for all the bugs, but that's been said many other times already)
  • Azerack
    Oh, I'm not saying Ravnica doesn't have good or great cards. Just that I have all of those,  already,  and want all of M20's, as well... ;)
  • Caeman
    Caeman Posts: 65 Match Maker
    In my opinion, since ORI isn’t going to ever rotate (which is fair; there are great cards, but no real mechanics to them) I honestly don’t think M19 should rotate out either. It should join the ranks of ORI as a core set.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    Caeman said:
    In my opinion, since ORI isn’t going to ever rotate (which is fair; there are great cards, but no real mechanics to them) I honestly don’t think M19 should rotate out either. It should join the ranks of ORI as a core set.
    Interesting idea!

I wonder if the devs, will leave a number of notable powerhouses like, BSZ, luminarch Ascension, Djinn of wishes and summoners pact in standard for ever.

Some (if not all) have been ever present in their respective colours.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tremayne said:
    Caeman said:
    Interesting idea!

I wonder if the devs, will leave a number of notable powerhouses like, BSZ, luminarch Ascension, Djinn of wishes and summoners pact in standard for ever.

Some (if not all) have been ever present in their respective colours.
    I'm gonna have to say please dear lord no on that one.

Honestly I don't like how Origins gets to stay forever, but I do understand why it has to, since all of the tutorials and new player things are geared around it.
    But having powerful cards that are always available makes deckbuilding much more boring and warps the meta in annoyingly predictable ways (think how many Green decks run GR by default because there pretty much isn't any better Green creature available)
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I'd like to see the various cards that are reprinted show up in their newer sets.  They've shown they can now do this with their alternative art cards, so let's see those cards return as they should so they stay available as intended in paper.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Mburn7 - I still think that it is an interesting idea, but that does not necessarily mean it is a good idea. As I mentioned there are some pitfall, which the devs might overcome, if they had the time.

@ElfNeedsFood - I totally agree that reprints should be added to newer sets. Using the alternate art method could eliminate the problems which have prevented reprints in the past.