Rotation of sets

Options
topochico
topochico Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
Are there any plans of set rotation to keep in line with Standard or does this game lean more towards Modern?

Comments

• Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wrong forum again buddy. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    **Mod note: Moved from Marvel Puzzle Quest forum to MtGPQ General Discussion forum. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The sets do rotate.  The rules around this are documented here: https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Standard

The next rotation will come when Throne of Eldraine (ELD) ships, maybe next month or December.  Then Ixalan (XLN), Rivals of Ixalan (RIX), Domineria (DOM), and Core 2019 (M19) will rotate out.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The sets do rotate.  The rules around this are documented here: https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Standard

The next rotation will come when Throne of Eldraine (ELD) ships, maybe next month or December.  Then Ixalan (XLN), Rivals of Ixalan (RIX), Domineria (DOM), and Core 2019 (M19) will rotate out.
    That is...a lot of sets leaving :'(
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Can’t wait. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    edited October 2019
    Options

I was more a fan of dropping one set with each new set, but I think Oktagon was just too proud of Ixalan (the first set they developed) to let go of it so early. ;)
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options

I was more a fan of dropping one set with each new set, but I think Oktagon was just too proud of Ixalan (the first set they developed) to let go of it so early. ;)
    Nope, it's just how MTG works (and pardon if you were "yust yoshing" ;) ). I've been playing Arena off and on and getting used to NOT using Dinos was interesting. 
    My Brokhan decks are going to have to find replacements, when Throne comes around. Fortunately I think I've found some potentials.  ;)
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Options
    @Azerack
    Yes, I know they decided to align to paper, it was just very suspect in its timing of "right after the last set that the other guys made" was officially in legacy...     o:)
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, well they ARE going to be a tad late with delivery, so maybe they felt they wanted PQ players to enjoy the cards just a little longer before they went bye-bye. ;)
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Haha likely so.  Rivals is where I got my first masterpiece (the Evening Star) so I guess I'm being a bit clingy lol
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Approximately 800+cards. Going to be quite the shock for the meta once it happens. It'll be a good thing though. Forcing many of us, myself included, to rethink old strategies and introduce new ones. It'll be fun
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:

Approximately 800+cards. Going to be quite the shock for the meta once it happens. It'll be a good thing though. Forcing many of us, myself included, to rethink old strategies and introduce new ones. It'll be fun
    I, for one, will be happy to see our blue overlords losing their main weapons.

Apparently Green (and *sigh* Blue) are the most powerful colors in paper standard post-rotation, I'm excited to see how that translates here.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:

I, for one, will be happy to see our blue overlords losing their main weapons.

Apparently Green (and *sigh* Blue) are the most powerful colors in paper standard post-rotation, I'm excited to see how that translates here.
    If I ever see Storm the Vaults and Blue Sun's Zenith again, it'll be too soon.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I, for one, am very excited to see crutches being kicked away. And hopefully, it can slow the game down a bit (at least in standard).
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Well, say hello to Grafdigger's Cage, Leyline of Singularity, Karn's Vanguard, Lavinia, Notion Thief, Vanilla Gates, Kaya ! and removal , removal and more removal..

Say goodbye to mana gain, tokens, graveyard decks, high cost cards and I'm guessing a 1/3rd of the major PWs abilities.

Fetching and Token PWs will all be shut down by Grafdigger and LoS with a total cost of 12 mana. 

Dowsing Dagger, Search for Azcanta and Legion's Landing were well designed mana supports being creative, unique and useful, but now vanilla Gates will be the norm of boring and slow mana gain. They should've at least given each gate a simple unique effect.

Cheap removal will create a slog in the these long events.

The theme of board manipulation to handcuffing PWs and cards will be not fun when Greg does one of his crazy cascades.

Kaya's PW ability is unavoidable. The slog will empower her ability and there are very few ways to stop it. There are so many cards that team with her ability that she will be annoying as hell.

I'll see what the next set comes up with , but we're losing a lot of great cards and I'm not really impressed with the recent sets.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I don't think it pure casualty if we hardly find cards to replace the XLN/DOM/M19 classics ...

Those sets brought some of the most Nefarious cards ever in the meta (absurd converters, gain full mana fetchers, BSZ) .. they changed the game balance and gameplay so much that if feeks like playing a different game.

It can't be bad to see the power scaled down a bit... And the meta get rid of the 5-10 cards that pilot 90% of the decks.

We'll just have to learn how to play mtgpq again...and there's enough power in the ravnica bloc to deal with it.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Aeroplane said:
    Well, say hello to Grafdigger's Cage, Leyline of Singularity, Karn's Vanguard, Lavinia, Notion Thief, Vanilla Gates, Kaya ! and removal , removal and more removal..

Say goodbye to mana gain, tokens, graveyard decks, high cost cards and I'm guessing a 1/3rd of the major PWs abilities.

Fetching and Token PWs will all be shut down by Grafdigger and LoS with a total cost of 12 mana. 

Dowsing Dagger, Search for Azcanta and Legion's Landing were well designed mana supports being creative, unique and useful, but now vanilla Gates will be the norm of boring and slow mana gain. They should've at least given each gate a simple unique effect.

The theme of board manipulation to handcuffing PWs and cards will be not fun when Greg does one of his crazy cascades.

Kaya's PW ability is unavoidable. The slog will empower her ability and there are very few ways to stop it. There are so many cards that team with her ability that she will be annoying as hell.

I'll see what the next set comes up with , but we're losing a lot of great cards and I'm not really impressed with the recent sets.
    Do you have a decklist for this Kaya deck of doom that will be the ruin of us all?

I'm giving it a shot, but so far this deck sucks butt. It's biggest problem is that you need to maintain so many cards on board in order to have control, and you can't use cards that help you get the cards you need because you've killed fetching. I almost lost a game to a single Etali that was just beating my face for 6 even though it couldn't get the cast a free card due to Lavinia because I was stuck on the draw needing removal.

It has no offense to speak of, it's a slow kill no matter what. Kaya's A3 isn't even scary with this deck cause you can't fill GY's without some form of recursion combo that would basically be a different deck. I'm really not worried about a deck that *might* be scary after 30 turns. If you're relying on Kaya's A1 to fill up the GY, it'll take a while to do anything of note.

Contrast that to the new Chandra who will kill a creature and shoot your opponent in the face for 30 with a full loyalty bar (which is going to be much faster than multiple A1s + A3 for Kaya). Or Bolas Dragon God who will also shoot you in the face for 30 without any of the legendary bonus.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aeroplane said:

Maybe I'm off base here, but it looks like you're entire post can be summed up with "the game will be slower and less creative"

The slower part I absolutely agree with.  Losing a lot of great converters and combo pieces will definitely slow things down a lot (unless Eldraine comes with new great converters and combo pieces).  Food tokens have slowed down paper Magic a lot, and I see no reason they won't do the same here too.

As for creativity, I very much disagree with you.  I don't think Gates will be as big of a problem as you think, since you need at least 3 of them for them to work well and that's a lot of deck slots to commit to mana supports nowadays.  I think losing the "fill your hand every turn" cards are going to make us all think much more about how our decks are constructed in terms of cost and impact, much like it used to be way back in the day (I remember specifically thinking GR was awful at first because by the time you got it into play you already lost.  Now I get it out by turn 2 or 3 pretty consistently).

We'll be losing so many fantastic converters, destroy/exile cards, fetchers, and combos that decks will definitely get way more diverse (I hope).  Also, much slower.  But that's ok too!
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    App is already slow. Now games will be slow. Tasty.  
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quantius said:
    Aeroplane said:

Do you have a decklist for this Kaya deck of doom that will be the ruin of us all?

I'm giving it a shot, but so far this deck sucks butt. It's biggest problem is that you need to maintain so many cards on board in order to have control, and you can't use cards that help you get the cards you need because you've killed fetching. I almost lost a game to a single Etali that was just beating my face for 6 even though it couldn't get the cast a free card due to Lavinia because I was stuck on the draw needing removal.

It has no offense to speak of, it's a slow kill no matter what. Kaya's A3 isn't even scary with this deck cause you can't fill GY's without some form of recursion combo that would basically be a different deck. I'm really not worried about a deck that *might* be scary after 30 turns. If you're relying on Kaya's A1 to fill up the GY, it'll take a while to do anything of note.

Contrast that to the new Chandra who will kill a creature and shoot your opponent in the face for 30 with a full loyalty bar (which is going to be much faster than multiple A1s + A3 for Kaya). Or Bolas Dragon God who will also shoot you in the face for 30 without any of the legendary bonus.

Remove Grafdigger as it counters your own graveyard. Add Glimpse, Underealm Lich, Unmoored ego, Infinite OB, Deathsprout with a gate. Add some more removal (I like finale of eternity or isolation) Dowsing dagger while its here. Tomb bound Lich is Ok , but you might find a better card. I've tried stitchers supplier which is a neat little card. Notion thief/Lavinia are  my favorite cards. The key is to have enough removal for you to keep dumping cards with the Liches and any other card drawing cards while spamming ability one.