Options
2»

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:

I don't think Oktagon is able/willing to deviate too much from paper when designing cards.  They have never confirmed this (despite us asking for some sort of design insight rather frequently).
    We should not assume Oktagon's hands are tied to any great extent. If they can design Adapt, they clearly have a lot of leeway to change abilities and card text from how they function in paper.

They just don't.
    Adapt is an ability that is designed in paper and does a similar thing to its PQ functionality (a permanent buff off of an activated ability).  I actually really like how the team designed it for PQ, since a straight adaptation would have been completely useless.

So the team definitely has some leeway for how mechanics function, and we already knew they had some wiggle room for card rarity and stats (power/toughness/cost..ect).  It really seems, however, that they can't really give cards abilities that their paper counterparts don't have or bring in brand new cards that don't exist in paper (the closest it seems they can do is the Masterpieces, which are all reprints from old sets that aren't being re-released in paper.  But even those are existing cards whose abilities just happen to line up with what's going on in Standard).

I have seen nothing indicating that Oktagon could just spontaneously print a bunch of cards that make ooze tokens (for example) when that's something that doesn't happen much in paper.  Maybe they can add in an MP or two, but that's hardly enough for it to be supported the way we would like.