Did the devs sneak in a new QOL improvement?

helix72
helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
Up until C-Worthy, I seem to recall the new 4*s and the events around them ended up with me starting with three covers in a single color and none in the other two (e.g. a 0/0/3 character). But now with C-Worthy, SHIELD training gave me Blue, the upcoming PvP gives Yellow, and the upcoming PvE gives Red, which would make him a satisfying 1/1/1 to start off.

Am I misremembering the prior releases and cover rewards or does anyone else notice this as a change that will (please devs, please) hopefully be continued going forward?

Comments

• Greenroom
    Greenroom Posts: 71 Match Maker
    I believe shield training gives a random color cover
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Greenroom said:
    I believe shield training gives a random color cover
    Yes, it's random. And as long as I can remember, the release PvP has given the bottom cover for progression and the release PvE has given the middle. 

Not sure how OP was ending up without at least one middle cover, provided they're playing to at least that progression point. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Nice to know SHIELD award is random, but it seems others have noticed the previous trend of color heavy releases, in particular if you are a progression only player: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/79599/can-we-talk-about-colour-distribution-of-new-releases
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    From what I see:

1. For alliance placement reward in each pve, the colour will go from the bottom to the top.

2. For Individual progression rewards, it will be 3rd/2nd/3rd/2nd colour gained in the following order pvp/pve/pve/pve.

3. The 1st cover are gained by top placement players but I didn't track when they rotate the first cover for subsequent pve.

So, if you are a full progression only player, most of your 4* should end up 0/2/2 for the first 3 pve and first pvp.

Conditions that change this will be boss event, lucky pulls, shield training and placement.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's sad how often the answer to this question is "No. It's always been like this."
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    The updated loaner nodes are a fantastic QOL change of late..... maybe we will see more in the near future.

At one point (until a year or so ago) I feel like the 4* PVP progression rewards were progressing from one time to the next.  So if you got the top one this time, next time it would be the middle, etc.

Then it seemed like it went to a fairly random reward selection process; not sure why.

Just another tidbit in the "what color will I get" information pool.

Let's look at Mysterio's progression colors, just to see what it looks like.

PVE after release:  Blue (middle)
    PVP at release:  Yellow (bottom)
    PVE in August:  Yellow 
    2nd PVE in August:  Blue
    Upcoming PVE in September:  Yellow

So.....no purple to be had from progression, at least in this case.

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to say this is intentional to get you to need to chase covers for new characters via bonus, or chasing placement, or just hoping random draws help you.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I’m not mistaken, during the “latest 12” era of legendary tokens (both with and without vaulting), characters hung around in long enough to get at least one of each color cycle through progression in PVE, so while there was still an imbalance at least it wasn’t of the 0/x/x variety.

Otherwise, in addition to what @HoundofShadow said, it seems like the missing color from PVE and PVP progression has generally been the following season’s PVP Shield Simulator 2,000 pt progression cover.  Of course, that doesn’t work in cases where two 4*’s are released in the same season...  ...and you know in those cases that the one who drew the short straw will invariably be the next required 4* for Shield Training :-P

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    helix72 said:
    Up until C-Worthy, I seem to recall the new 4*s and the events around them ended up with me starting with three covers in a single color and none in the other two (e.g. a 0/0/3 character). But now with C-Worthy, SHIELD training gave me Blue, the upcoming PvP gives Yellow, and the upcoming PvE gives Red, which would make him a satisfying 1/1/1 to start off.

Am I misremembering the prior releases and cover rewards or does anyone else notice this as a change that will (please devs, please) hopefully be continued going forward?
    you got lucky with your random. my cap is 0/2/4.

torch is 0/2/3.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    0/2/2 for me.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    0/1/3, before 4th yellow from pvp lol