Where to spend my CP hoard?

ElReyFelix
ElReyFelix Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
I'm undecided on where I should spend my CP. I currently have about 1600 CP and was planning on saving until Anniversary in hopes of there being a legendary store with Kitty Pryde in it (I currently have her at 4/2/3) and me being able to champ her with some luck.

I am now reconsidering my plan with the upcoming Legends of Wakanda Store. Should I spend my CP there? I currently have Black Panther at 5/3/2, Thanos at 2/4/2, and Okoye at 3/1/0. Chances are if I spent my hoard in this store I may champ BP and Thanos would hopefully come close to being champable. Am I better off working on BP and Thanos or holding out on the chance of a Kitty store coming during Anniversary?

For reference, my current champed 5* are Jessica Jones, Old Man Logan, Black Suit Spidey, Dr. Strange, and Captain Marvel; I also have Phoenix at 5/3/4 (almost champed).

Do I spend on Legends of Wakanda or keep saving for Anniversary hoping for Kitty?

For whatever it's worth, I currently play PVE to progression (not for placement) and PVP to 650 points (also not for placement) and I'm not really a $ spender. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    So from a math perspective you have 64 pulls with 15% odds so that would be 9.6 5* so round up to 10.  This would hopefully let you champ BP.

the thing is BP is really good for shield hopping in PVP with Thanos for 5* players when you get a really easy team aka grill.  On his own BP is not that great.  

For Thanos if you are competitive in PVE he is a must but he goes through a ton of health packs.  Since you say you are more casual he is not as critical for you.

Okoye is great regardless of play style but is your lowest covered of the 3 and you probably won’t champion.

overall I would say keep hoarding.  The reason why is in 2 weeks we will probably get a new 5* and being anniversary it will probably be a popular character. (Weather of not they will be meta defining is yet to be seen).  I would wait to see what they character is and look to go for them or if there is an extra anniversary store that is really good.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably will be a Fan Favorites Anniversary vault so I would just wait. That's what I'm doing anyway, hoping for a vault with Thor and/or Kitty in it.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    So from a math perspective you have 64 pulls with 25% odds so that would be 9.6 5* so round up to 10.  This would hopefully let you champ BP.
    Wait...the odds in the Wakanda store are 25% for a 5-star?  Is the increased chance normal for these special vaults?
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    wymtime said:
    So from a math perspective you have 64 pulls with 25% odds so that would be 9.6 5* so round up to 10.  This would hopefully let you champ BP.
    Wait...the odds in the Wakanda store are 25% for a 5-star?  Is the increased chance normal for these special vaults?
    I think he meant 15% which would follow the norm and fit his calculation
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Edited 15% odds
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Keep hoarding for Kitty. Panther is the least useful of the 3 in the store. Since you don't play PVE for placement, Thano5 isn't super useful for you either. Getting some Okoye covers would be nice, but realistically, you probably won't get enough to make a huge difference. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Ahhh...the typo got my hopes up. :smile:

• shardwick
    wymtime said:
    Ahhh...the typo got my hopes up. :smile:

2018: bugged Anniversary vault
    2019: bugged Fan Favorites store with 25+% odds???
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    shardwick said:
    2018: bugged Anniversary vault
    2019: bugged Fan Favorites store with 25+% odds???
    How as 2018's anniversary vault bugged?  I remember around 2017's anniversary there was a bugged store giving 25% odds.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    2018 vault was bugged because it closed earlier or it reset early.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 2018 vault was originally set to expire before the final tokens were given out in rewards. (Before the season ended.). They fixed that but instead the vault reset at midnight (my time) or the original expiration time. This had the most impact on people who had been saving a lot of their tokens for the final day. 
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    What's your priority for Thanos and Okoye? You could get 3+ covers for each, especially with champ rewards. Those are both game changing 5* to have covered that will change your gaming life for the better. And they both have feeders, so if you sacrifice some on your BH you may round them out faster. 

Thanos plays well with OML, Okoye plays well with the rest of your champs,

That being said Kitty is probably better than either, and you're closer to champing her, but she doesn't have a feeder. Gritty does well with strange, kind of slow with OML, well with JJ and I guess phoenix and captain marvel.  

I think you've got a 50:50 shot of being able to count on Kitty being available in the anniversary store. 

Where are your Shuri and Gamora on champ levels?

I'd be tempted to set Kitty to my 5* BH, put Shuri and Gamora on 4* BH and pull and feed both Thanos and Okoye.  If you have HP stored up, I'd be more likely to use that in anniversary vaults. Then, after your pulls, take stock of where you are. If you're close to Okoye, I'd set her as your BH and hope to get enough pulls in an anniversary vault to finish her. I'm betting we have a 25% chance to get a Kitty feeder at the anniversary, in which case you'd be set.

I just finished Okoye through BH, it's been a long slog, but it was really gratifying to be able to effectively run Thor and her for the first time. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    justsing said:
    Keep hoarding for Kitty. Panther is the least useful of the 3 in the store. Since you don't play PVE for placement, Thano5 isn't super useful for you either. Getting some Okoye covers would be nice, but realistically, you probably won't get enough to make a huge difference. 

I'm sitting on 3227 CP with a 1/3/1 Okoye, a 3/3/0 Thanos, and a 2/1/3 Black Panther. Was thinking of dumping the hoard in this vault, but your comments fit my situation and make a lot of sense. It's just sad to realize that 3227 CP will only average you 19 5* covers which, if I get even distribution across all 3, won't make any of them champ-able.

Here's hoping we get an anniversary vault with Kitty, Thor, and Jessica. Although at 1/1/2, 3/0/0, and 3/3/1 respectively, I'm not sure that vault is looking much better for me. And I can't say I'm not still a little worried about the possibility of mostly Kitty but even possibly Thor getting hit with a nerf stick.

Darn you 5* transition!!!!
  • shardwick
    helix72 said:
    justsing said:

I'm sitting on 3227 CP with a 1/3/1 Okoye, a 3/3/0 Thanos, and a 2/1/3 Black Panther. Was thinking of dumping the hoard in this vault, but your comments fit my situation and make a lot of sense. It's just sad to realize that 3227 CP will only average you 19 5* covers which, if I get even distribution across all 3, won't make any of them champ-able.

Here's hoping we get an anniversary vault with Kitty, Thor, and Jessica. Although at 1/1/2, 3/0/0, and 3/3/1 respectively, I'm not sure that vault is looking much better for me. And I can't say I'm not still a little worried about the possibility of mostly Kitty but even possibly Thor getting hit with a nerf stick.

See that's why I don't get excited about going to 5* land. I remember when I was a newer player and everyone was singing the praises of OML so all I wanted was that glorious yellow cover because he was such a pain to fight in pvp. Well, one day I got a legendary and his icon flashed so I crossed my fingers and I got the yellow. I was so happy and then two weeks later they nerfed him. My jaw hit the floor. I was like "Seriously? You gotta be kidding me." So now whenever some character comes out that everyone is going nuts over I can't help but think of OML or even Gambit. And yeah I think about Kitty getting nerfed too.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    shardwick said:
    helix72 said:
    justsing said:

See that's why I don't get excited about going to 5* land. I remember when I was a newer player and everyone was singing the praises of OML so all I wanted was that glorious yellow cover because he was such a pain to fight in pvp. Well, one day I got a legendary and his icon flashed so I crossed my fingers and I got the yellow. I was so happy and then two weeks later they nerfed him. My jaw hit the floor. I was like "Seriously? You gotta be kidding me." So now whenever some character comes out that everyone is going nuts over I can't help but think of OML or even Gambit. And yeah I think about Kitty getting nerfed too.
    Sometimes you have to take a chance though if the vault is good.  I opened my small hoard of 2000 CP (plus 4* CP rewards) on this one with the hope of getting Thanos covered. I had him at 8 covers.  BP and Okoye were nice too but my Okoye was only at 3 black and BP at 1/1/2.  I ended up getting ton of Okoye covers (getting her to level 451) and a decent number of BP covers (2/3/3 now).  I did get 4 Thanos covers but they were all black and black was the cover I already have maxed out so I only got 4 saved covers for him.  Overall though my pull rate was above average 17/83 with 2 additional 5* bonus heroes (total of 19 5* covers) and one of those was Doom, which allowed me to champ him as well.  Okoye is a beast and probably better than Thanos since she is really good in PvE and PvP, as opposed to Thanos who is really just a PvE beast.  You can hold out hope the anniversary store is better but last year it was JJ/OML/Strange fyi.
  • shardwick
    Warbringa said:
    shardwick said:
    helix72 said:
    justsing said:

Sometimes you have to take a chance though if the vault is good.  I opened my small hoard of 2000 CP (plus 4* CP rewards) on this one with the hope of getting Thanos covered. I had him at 8 covers.  BP and Okoye were nice too but my Okoye was only at 3 black and BP at 1/1/2.  I ended up getting ton of Okoye covers (getting her to level 451) and a decent number of BP covers (2/3/3 now).  I did get 4 Thanos covers but they were all black and black was the cover I already have maxed out so I only got 4 saved covers for him.  Overall though my pull rate was above average 17/83 with 2 additional 5* bonus heroes (total of 19 5* covers) and one of those was Doom, which allowed me to champ him as well.  Okoye is a beast and probably better than Thanos since she is really good in PvE and PvP, as opposed to Thanos who is really just a PvE beast.  You can hold out hope the anniversary store is better but last year it was JJ/OML/Strange fyi.
    Yeah, probably just wait and see. The only 5* in this bunch that interests me is Okoye but I doubt that I would pull four black covers (currently 1/5/1) and I only have like 538 cp.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm torn a bit too.

I was waiting for the anniversary store to decide whether I should spend my 1700ish CP on that or spend it on latest tokens for (hopefully) some more Iceman covers (I think he's pretty cool :s:sunglasses:).

But with this vault... While I have Okoye champed already, my BP and Thano5 are at 11 and 9 covers, respectively. I might just do some pulls after all, as odds are the anniversary store will contain some of the characters I have champed or 12 or 13 covers for already.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Yup yup yup. I’m conflicted. 

My Okoye is 5/3/4 and my BP and Thanos both champed. Shuri is lvl 293 so she’s only 7 covers away from giving me the 13th Okoye. I should probably wait and hope for an anniversary LT for characters that don’t have feeders but, on the other hand, I would love to have Okoye champed. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme said:
    Yup yup yup. I’m conflicted. 

My Okoye is 5/3/4 and my BP and Thanos both champed. Shuri is lvl 293 so she’s only 7 covers away from giving me the 13th Okoye. I should probably wait and hope for an anniversary LT for characters that don’t have feeders but, on the other hand, I would love to have Okoye champed. 
    In your case I would probably wait and BH Shuri since you are so close on Okoye.  Of course extra champ covers for Thanos or Okoye are always useful too.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    I understand why so many are conflicted with this store. It's a classic cash grab ahead of anniversary. 

With 2 meta 5*s there it's a tough choice. Fortunately I'm nowhere near 5* land so I'll hold out until anniversary in the hope of a class of 2019 store that will get me close to champing the MVP 4*s from this year like Ronin, Creed, Juggs et al. 
    The typical Anniversary offering is a Fan Favorite store which should contain a strong mix of meta/very good 4's at weighted odds (50% of 12 favorite ones, 50% everyone else - aka the bottom 73).  This is based on the survey we saw about a month ago.  Then there will be 3 5's who are have also been selected as favorites (look for Strange and/or OML and maybe a meta 5).

In general, people who are spending money on 5's and/or CP may not be that excited about the Fan Favorite store if the mix isn't strong.

So is this a cash grab?  Not necessarily, but it is:

1.  A good CP store, which is something we really haven't seen in a while - the new release stores have been it, and I don't think we've seen a really strong one in a while.
    2.  A way to entice people to use their CP hoards, which is always something the devs are looking to do, especially if they want to begin figuring out ways to somehow address dilution.
    3.  A way to get some people spending when most players are looking to converse resources/hold onto their money for the Anniversary.

There will be a new 5 released (very likely 10/3, otherwise shortly after) and they do like to push out these special CP stores close to those, based on the first half of this year and the store timing we saw then.

Lastly......if they didn't run special CP stores it would take a pretty long time to feature all 34+ 5's in pairs alongside new people.....approximately 85 weeks, or 1 1/2 years (without considering all the 5's you are adding along the way).  So it's a good thing to have special stores like this IMO.