starfall said:
    Gabrosin said:
    My list:
    1. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager
    2. Sarkhan Unbroken
    3. Tamiyo, Field Researcher
    4. There are other planeswalkers?
    There's Ral :)
    I do use Ral, and Bolas 1, and on occasion Kiora and Teferi and Nissa 4.  
    Nissa 4 is surprisingly awesome for a mono green. She can play Killer Instinct decks like an absolute boss.

On the subject of being surprised, tho, I was surprised to discover how weak Kiora was in Standard events without access to decent gem conversion. Still good, but nothing like top tier.
    She fills a niche, in that she has easy access to mana on a bad board through her A1, and can fetch a creature with her A2, which can often help fulfill objectives.  She's still pretty great at getting a Ghalta stack out there.  And she has access to all the good blue things.

But both Sarkhan and Teferi are basically better at what she does than she is.  Sarkhan can go get you three creatures and fill up their mana, and Teferi can get you a fresh hand and two turns of big mana ramping.  Plus each gives you access to another color and loses very little in mana gains compared to Kiora.  It's only on events where you're locking those two to other nodes that Kiora starts to enter consideration.

I think you're thinking too narrowly for Kiora.  I have a standard Jodah deck with her that is just nuts, and a standard Jhoira loop that is hilarious (although it is better in legacy).

She works outside of the general "convert all the gems" trope, and her second makes a lot of combo decks work because it can fetch the creatures you need basically for free.  I also find her much faster to get rolling than Tamiyo most of the time (although Brokhan is definitely better at pretty much everything)
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    starfall said:
    Azerack said:
    Gabrosin said:
    starfall said:
    Gabrosin said:
    starfall said:
    Gabrosin said:
    My list:
    1. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager
    2. Sarkhan Unbroken
    3. Tamiyo, Field Researcher
    4. There are other planeswalkers?
    There's Ral :)
    I do use Ral, and Bolas 1, and on occasion Kiora and Teferi and Nissa 4.  
    Nissa 4 is surprisingly awesome for a mono green. She can play Killer Instinct decks like an absolute boss.

On the subject of being surprised, tho, I was surprised to discover how weak Kiora was in Standard events without access to decent gem conversion. Still good, but nothing like top tier.
    She fills a niche, in that she has easy access to mana on a bad board through her A1, and can fetch a creature with her A2, which can often help fulfill objectives.  She's still pretty great at getting a Ghalta stack out there.  And she has access to all the good blue things.

But both Sarkhan and Teferi are basically better at what she does than she is.  Sarkhan can go get you three creatures and fill up their mana, and Teferi can get you a fresh hand and two turns of big mana ramping.  Plus each gives you access to another color and loses very little in mana gains compared to Kiora.  It's only on events where you're locking those two to other nodes that Kiora starts to enter consideration.

You mean Tamiyo, not Teferi, I presume.  ;)

Kiora wss queen for a long time,  though. Her and Koth's mana gains were tough, "back in the day". I can still win with her, though. The  card access DOES make a big difference, of course...
    I still use both in certain events.  Just used Koth in Emergency Ordinances.  Never lost a game.  
    Koth can be fine, most of the time. But I'm not taking him into a 3 day weekend event with 300 crystals on the line.
    I get where you are coming from but my coalition isn't super competitive so.  As long as I give the effort for the event, playing Koth  isn't going to kill us if I can.  Also I only have Broken and NB1 maxed out and the other tri colors are at level 1.