What are the Top 10 Planeswalkers?

Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
@Shecky's post about the best Black Walkers got me thinking:  Why not try to determine the Top 10 Walkers in the game?
I'm sure we'll agree on most of them, and it'll be a big help to any newer players who are unsure of what to buy in the sale.

So, here's my list:

1)  Sarkhan Unbroken
2)  Tamiyo
3)  Kiora
4)  Bolas 1
5)  Teferi
6)  Huatli Radiant
7)  Ral
8)  Bolas 2
9)  Karn
10)  Nahiri

Best Mono-Colors:

1)  Jace Unraveler
2)  Nissa Worldwaker
3)  Jaya
4)  Ob
5)  Elspeth

For newer players, though, I'd wait on the Tricolors and Karn.  They're really expensive for a new player to buy and level, and Karn won't help much with the PvP events where most of the big payouts are.
Also note I didn't include any walker I don't have (Bolas 3, Koth, Tezz 4...ect) that some people really like.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Mburn7 - Nice list! I was going to post a rebuttal on a few of your positions until I realised you had a caveat. However, this list is also for PW at level 60 right? Because, some of my PW are deliberately kept at lvl25/lvl40 while most are at lvl 60.
  • Mburn7
    Tremayne said:
    @Mburn7 - Nice list! I was going to post a rebuttal on a few of your positions until I realised you had a caveat. However, this list is also for PW at level 60 right? Because, some of my PW are deliberately kept at lvl25/lvl40 while most are at lvl 60.
    Yeah, all my walkers are at 60.  I don't like keeping them low level to cheese easier fights.
    And which of my non-owned walkers do you think crack the list?  Just curious if I need to buy some lol.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Is this a standard legal list only?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Top 10 Planeswalkers
    1. Sarkhan Unbroken (3)
    2. Kiora
    3. Teferi
    4. Karn
    5. Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
    6. Saheeli
    7. Ral
    8. Tamiyo
    9. Bolas, The Ravager (2)
    10. Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge (4)
    Runners Up
    1. Koth
    2. Tezzeret, The Schemer (2)
    3. Nahiri
    4. Nissa, Steward of Elements (3)
    Mono Color Worth Getting
    1. Jace, Unraveler of Secrets (2)
    2. Nissa, Worldwalker (4)
    3. Ob
    4. Vivien Reid
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    I would put Vraska1 in at about #10 on the list. 
  • Mburn7
    Avahad said:
    Is this a standard legal list only?
    All walkers are standard legal.  Not all are standard useful, though, if that's what you mean.
    But yeah, this is made for advising players what to buy.  So if it isn't standard useful it prob shouldn't be on the list.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I used to love H2 but she's so dependable on creatures I hardly use her anymore.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    In legacy, Ajani Vengeant is one of the best, and still super good in standars (below the tri-colored walkers of course).  One of my favs :)
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    @Mburn7 - it wasn’t your unowned PW that I had problems with it was Nissa Worldwaker, but then I realised I had her at lvl40 and that is why I posted my question earlier.

I would rank 
    Best Mono-Colours:

1. Jace Unraveler
    2. Elspeth
    3. Garruk
    4. Ob nix
    5. koth

Multi-colour:
    1. Bolas 1
    2. Sarkhan
    3. Teferi
    4. Karn
    5. Bolas 2
    6. Saheeli
    7. Ugin (if he still upgrades like a mono I’ll put him at 4)
    8. Angrath
    9. Domri
    10. Nahiri 

• JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2019
    @Mburn7 How you gonna leave Koth off your top monocolored walkers?  Blasphemy, dude.  

Top 10, no particular order:

Sarkhan 3
    Tamiyo
    NB God Pharaoh
    Karn
    Ral
    Teferi
    Saheeli
    Nahiri
    Koth
    Kiora

I've never been able to get NB2 to really work for me, I hate his mana but I get that a lot of people like him.  I like Angrath but he's just missing a little something.  GW Huatli is good but has been completely outclassed by Tamiyo.  Truth be told I almost never play Kiora anymore but someone needed to be the 10th.  For established players, all monocolored walkers other than Karn and Elspeth (only because of HoD) are vanity walkers.
  • Mburn7
    JopeX37 said:
    @Mburn7 How you gonna leave Koth off your top monocolored walkers?  Blasphemy, dude.  

I've never been able to get NB2 to really work for me, I hate his mana but I get that a lot of people like him.  I like Angrath but he's just missing a little something.  GW Huatli is good but has been completely outclassed by Tamiyo.  Truth be told I almost never play Kiora anymore but someone needed to be the 10th.  For established players, all monocolored walkers other than Karn and Elspeth (only because of HoD) are vanity walkers.
    Haha I still don't have Koth lol.  Can't list him.

And as for the mono colors, I use Jace 2, Jaya, and (now) Nissa Worldwake all the time in events.  They are still really powerful, even if the multis are usually better.  Def more than vanity lol.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tamiyo doesn’t belong on this list. She requires a more advanced skill set to play. Newer players struggle with her. 

I also agree with @ArielSira on H2, she’s tricky, bad draw or a kill happy Greg and you’re in trouble. 

Domri is a great add @Tremayne — his balanced loadouts and mana, plus two fetch abilities really make him stomp! 
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Mburn7 said:
    Haha I still don't have Koth lol.  Can't list him.
    Dude.  Buy him tomorrow when he goes on sale.  He's so good.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    So I see Nahiri a lot, is she really that good? Also, I'm curious why Huatli the Radiant doesn't make the list while Nahiri does? They're both creature focused and GW is a stronger color combo than RW, and without even getting deep into it, gem changers alone are some of the strongest cards in the game. That's leaving me a bit confused, cause if Nahiri is that good, then that means I should buy her since she's available right now.

I, too, am trying to think about what to spend gold on and then who to level with the upcoming PW sale.

My "to buy" list is:
    • Sarkhan Unbroken
    • Ral, Izzet Viceroy
    • NB Ravager/Arisen
    • Tezzeret Master of the Bridge & Master of Artifice (There is no Tezzeret I won't buy)
    • Dovin Grand Arbiter
    • Jace Unraveller (just to have, I love Jace)
    • Ob (Eh, people say he's worth it, but I could leave him)
    • Koth (Similar to Ob, nothing about him appeals to me. I generally don't like red).
    I have:
    • Angrath 60
    • Elspeth 60
    • Huatli Radiant Champion 60
    • Jace Cunning Castaway 60
    • Jace Telepath Unbound 60
    • Jaya 60
    • Karn 60
    • Kiora 60
    • NB God Pharoh 53!
    • Sorin, Grim Nemesis 60
    • Tamiyo 60
    • Teferi 60
    • Tezzeret the Schemer 60
    • Tezzeret the Seeker 60
    • Ugin 60
    • Vraska, Relic Seeker 60
    • Wrenn and Six 60
    So I don't really have any color needs, but I enjoy variety and interesting interactions.

Also, I have Saheeli (lvl 1), Ajani Vengeant (lvl 20), but I dunno if they're worth leveling these days. I have others that I just have that I won't put runes into until I've got the others maxed.

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Quantius — it depends on your playstyle. I’m not an aggro player. I use Aj1 in 90% of my events, even in coalition PvP — he doesn’t lose for me. I almost never use Nahiri, except for fun in PvE sometimes or in individual stuff. I like his control abilities, loadouts and his even mana gains. He sings for me, she’s fallen flat since QB went away. 
  • Mburn7
    @Quantius first of all, Tezz Master of the Bridge won't be on sale (he's a WAR Walker).

Nahiri is amazing for aggressive creature strategies, while Huatli is better for more midrange ones because of their abilities.  I almost never lose with my Huatli deck because once she starts rolling you win very quickly.  Nahiri requires a bit more strategy when building, but she tends to win very quickly once you get a creature or two out.

Saheeli and Ajani are both very good when maxed, though.  Saheeli has some of the best mana bonuses of any walker and is just absurd in Legacy by spamming the big vehicles.  Ajani is a really solid all around walker who currently runs the best HUF Deploy deck (besides maybe a 5 color Karn).  Looks like you need a lot of runes now lol.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    When will the 1 million rune sale happen?  lol, in my dreams.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    @Mburn7 I run huatl warrior poet as my huf/deploy walker these days- seems faster than Aj1 :)
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    If you're not playing blue, you're not trying. This will change in the next standard when BSZ, StV rotate out but still..
    Omni and Whir in legacy are my best BLUE combo.
    Sarkhan- PvP

Karn- PvE or Sarkhan

The rest 

Bolas2, Tamiyo, Teferi

Mono-Liliana4 Untouched by Death (graveyard -Finale of Eternity/Deadbridge Chant- Vamps - lifelink vanguard - dowsing dagger/dragon hoarde ) The most unblue PW I play.

• greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Ok here is my top 10 that I play with the most. In no particular order

Sarkahn the Unbroken
    Huatli, Radiant Champion
    Nichalos Bolas God Pharaoh
    Koth
    AJ 3
    Saheeli
    Garruk
    Lil 1
    Angarth