Match-4 line clears & specials in the new engine

Options
ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
I’ve noticed a consistent new behavior for special tiles cleared out by a match-4 ever since the new engine went live. Tiles/powers that used to be destroyed by it are now exhibiting the effects you’d get from a direct match.

3* Doc Ock: 4-clearing an enemy special triggers his passive and creates attack tiles

Miles and Gwen both do the web tile matching passive on a web tile that has been 4-cleared

4ocket’s green countdown used to get destroyed by a 4-clear, but now it behaves as if you matched it and explodes early

i haven’t checked Medusa or Hawk3y3’s AP gain passives

i haven’t checked the trap behavior on Dar3devil’s red

any others acting weird y’all have seen? Is this a bug or a feature?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Add in Sabretooth.

Tombstone said:
    @jamesh
    I've checked with the team, and this power is designed to trigger whenever you match an enemy special tile or destroy an enemy special tile by such means as a clearing a line with a match 4. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/890339/#Comment_890339

I don't think this works on trap tiles such as Daredevil's. I remember mine getting destroyed via match 4 and not triggering during LR.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Interesting. That power is definitely not worded such that you would expect it to operate on a 4-clear.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  Figured something was off, but couldn't put my finger on it.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I’m going to predict that Dar3devil’s trap nerf is still in place, but a 4-clear of his blue will collect AP as if it were matched. Sounds from that sabretooth comment that this is an intentional change. Was it in the New Engine patch notes and we all missed it?
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think this is happening for Prowler too, it's great.
    Make a hoizontal match four and steal all specials from the line above.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    It’s all positive save the Rocket one lol. 
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Clearing Medusa's CD in a match four give out 4 attack tiles now too
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't remember this happening in the past. If this is permanenf, then this is a buff to many characters.

I 'm wondering if it's due to trying to solve Mysterio's bugged power not triggering or other characters before him. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    It definitely came in with the new engine, it didn’t work this way before.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, it came in with the new engine. There are a couple of threads about it in the Bugs forum.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Clearing with a match4 used to register as tile "destruction.". Now it sounds like it is registering as tile "matching" (or maybe as both if Medusa's tile double procs).

Definitely something new since the engine updated.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think it's changed 5* Daredevil's green too.  Normally if the player matches it, or destroys it in a match 4, it would give the player green AP.  Now if the player destroys it in a match 4, it behaves as if the AI destroyed it, dealing damage and respawning on the board.    
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vins2 said:
    I think it's changed 5* Daredevil's green too.  Normally if the player matches it, or destroys it in a match 4, it would give the player green AP.  Now if the player destroys it in a match 4, it behaves as if the AI destroyed it, dealing damage and respawning on the board.    
    It has always worked that way, and is consistent with how is text is written. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    ^yeah Dd5 is unchanged, it was always like that
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Vins2 said:
    That is how the power has worked since DD's release (player directly matching the tile results in green apple, enemy matching the tile or either team clearing it with a match4 or destroying it outright with boardshake results in damage and a respawned tile.  Overwriting it with a board control power like lazy cap red/blue produces no additional effect).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Worthy Cap treats charges tiles that are scooped up by enemy 4-clears as being matched for the purposes of passive damage.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It was hard to tell, because it was happening during cascades where there was a lot going on, but it looked like Countdown for What tiles that were caught in the line clear of a match-4 were also triggering twice, like Medusa's Entanglement tile does. It would make sense, since both of those have the "when matched or destroyed" wording.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    @IceIX some of these feel like bugs, or at best unintended. Do you know if the dev team is aware of this behavior? 
    Some of the double-proc ones very much sound like bugs, and the change to Don't Push This Button is for sure a buff to Rocket & Groot if it is intended, and probably should have been announced as such
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It was hard to tell, because it was happening during cascades where there was a lot going on, but it looked like Countdown for What tiles that were caught in the line clear of a match-4 were also triggering twice, like Medusa's Entanglement tile does. It would make sense, since both of those have the "when matched or destroyed" wording.
    Verified. I clear lined two of the Countdown for What tiles and got 4 shots off.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    ^ That one and Medusa are almost certainly bugs, right?