A discussion on the changing PvP Meta

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:
    Borstock said:
    Oh man, 4* Thor was my go-to when I made the transition to 4-land. That's a really good example. Although, I will say that I tended to use her with 3* IM. So, I guess he's an example of a bridge character that played up. 
    Exactly. But the more 4's you champ the less you use 3* ironman. Bishop is different. Imo if a new 5* doesnt do something to slow or stop bishop they are not useful. Currently the biggest challenge to all young 5* rosters is bishop and grocket. Not a super strong pairing of 5*. There are multiple answers to grocket in both 5* and 4* play. We are not there yet on bishop. I just hope it happens soon.
    I know all the 5* players want a 5* answer to Bishop but the problem is that if it's just a 1 character answer then in 3 months time anyone who didn't cover that character is screwed as it fades into classics in the same manner BSSM/Surfer has. And a 4* answer won't really please 5* players either because there are plenty of those now.

Since nerfing/changing Bishop isn't on the table maybe what we should be lobbying for is a change to PvP defensive teams. Instead of just using the last team, maybe your defensive team could be randomly selected from all the valid teams you've used in the PvP event (Valid = MMR scaled so you can't be leaving out cupcakes you beat seeds teams with). So say you climb with Thorkoye and then finish with Kitty/Bishop your defensive team would randomly be selected from Thorkoye or Kitty/Bishop (had you used 3+ teams it would be from the 3 plus teams). That way someone repeatedly queuing you would eventually see your other teams used. This would solve the lack of MMR diversity and solve the Bishop problem (unless someone ONLY used Bishop for all their battles which seems unlikely given his health pack requirements) and of course force more shield usage.

KGB
    I feel the 4* answers to bishop are not working for 5* players though. Trying to bring an unboosted 4* into a 5* fight goes sideways quickly unless its Chavez, grocket (paired with kitty), or sabretooth (paired with thorkoye). Bishop unboosted does very well into any 5* with the exception of maybe kitty with grocket. You hope for no cascade turn 1 then good cascade on turn 2 that can wipe him out.

The second you have a 5* on your team facing bishop its a roll of the dice, even surfer. For 5* players, bishops you face are paired with a 5*. Its not just him with gritty.

I feel the answer needs to be a 5* counter.
    I have covered several 5*'s from classics and do not have quite the same view on them as most players. I realize I am in a minority there. Players told me dillution was  making covering 4*s impossible before they turned on the latest 12 method of tokens. I was getting 4*'s completed under full dillution. I was getting latest 12 4*s covered quickly when they started that. Now that it's gone and we are back under full dillution, I am still champing 4*s. I am slowly champing classic 5*s pulling exclusively from classics. Not special stores or relying on bonus heros. Currently I am pulling from latest legends because I want iceman sooner rather than later. The second he rotates out I will be back to pulling classics unless a 5* comes out that can counter bishops ability to punish match 3's vs 5* players.

If we had a slightly buffed bonus hero chance for classic 5's or a slightly buffed draw rate in classic tokens (besides the cheaper cost), I think it would make them more valuable in many players eyes. Even changing all champ rewards that give a latest legend token into 25 cp so the players could choose where to spend it would be an amazing upgrade in my opinion. 

Ultimately i do feel the biggest hurdle to changing metas is the speed at which counter characters can be acquired and brought to useable levels. I feel confident I can cover every 5* character in classics, but it's a slow process. If the devs do not do something a bit more to help that process then they need to change tactics to more frequent character balancing. This game gets "stale" for many players solely because the metas shift so slowly. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Single target weapons (hard counters) are all well and good, but it would be ideal if it had a little utility beyond simply fixing Bishop. In the event it doesn't actually work as well as intended, you don't want another dud 5* hanging around like the Gambit counter attempts of old.

As mentioned, if you miss out on that hard counter in Latest, you're almost certainly just stuck without it. Much like if you transition now, and you don't have Gladiator Thor or Kitty, you're just stuck at the mercy of whatever comes out next to deal with it. 

This would have been a great opportunity for a support, assuming those were allowed in PVP. Even something with a high percent chance to override a status effect rather than a flat immunity to stun would probably be pretty popular. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards

This would have been a great opportunity for a support, assuming those were allowed in PVP. Even something with a high percent chance to override a status effect rather than a flat immunity to stun would probably be pretty popular. 
    "Reduces stun duration by x amount of turns and cannot be stunned again for, say, 2 turns" or functions like Elektra's shadow step - whilst x amount of traps are on the board character cannot be stunned.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:
    Borstock said:
    Oh man, 4* Thor was my go-to when I made the transition to 4-land. That's a really good example. Although, I will say that I tended to use her with 3* IM. So, I guess he's an example of a bridge character that played up. 
    Exactly. But the more 4's you champ the less you use 3* ironman. Bishop is different. Imo if a new 5* doesnt do something to slow or stop bishop they are not useful. Currently the biggest challenge to all young 5* rosters is bishop and grocket. Not a super strong pairing of 5*. There are multiple answers to grocket in both 5* and 4* play. We are not there yet on bishop. I just hope it happens soon.
    I know all the 5* players want a 5* answer to Bishop but the problem is that if it's just a 1 character answer then in 3 months time anyone who didn't cover that character is screwed as it fades into classics in the same manner BSSM/Surfer has. And a 4* answer won't really please 5* players either because there are plenty of those now.

Since nerfing/changing Bishop isn't on the table maybe what we should be lobbying for is a change to PvP defensive teams. Instead of just using the last team, maybe your defensive team could be randomly selected from all the valid teams you've used in the PvP event (Valid = MMR scaled so you can't be leaving out cupcakes you beat seeds teams with). So say you climb with Thorkoye and then finish with Kitty/Bishop your defensive team would randomly be selected from Thorkoye or Kitty/Bishop (had you used 3+ teams it would be from the 3 plus teams). That way someone repeatedly queuing you would eventually see your other teams used. This would solve the lack of MMR diversity and solve the Bishop problem (unless someone ONLY used Bishop for all their battles which seems unlikely given his health pack requirements) and of course force more shield usage.

KGB
    not to mention,  when you get to a certain point you're cueing up the same 3-5 teams anyways. a fix to expand available teams would help a little.
  • tiomono
    If supports were not more rare than 5* that could be a good solution.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2019
    I wonder how much that's an artifact of who you have and how hard it is generally to cover a 5*? In particular Kitty seems like she'd go very well with Rescue (is there a 5* with a cheaper attack power than 6ap?) and OML. Is that the "best available" team? I guess I couldn't say with authority, and anecdotal evidence of never seeing it being run suggest "no." 
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, a simple match damage balance would do wonders for classic 5*’s.

Doesn't seem crazy difficult but who knows.
  • tiomono
    The weird thing about Bishop (and a couple of others, like Grocket) to me is that I have a handful of decent to excellent 5* champs (including both Kitty and Okoye), but the most effective teams available to me always involve running a 4*, if not two of them. That just doesn't feel right. I ran Falcon or IM40 with 4* teams for a time while I was transitioning there, but they faded out pretty quickly once I had a decent pool of 4* champs. I don't see Grocket or Bishop being sub-optimal choices compared to my 5* anytime soon.
    OVERCLOCKED! This post may contain excessive Bishop. Proceed at your own risk.

Yeah I made the same point earlier. As you progress up tiers it makes sense to use the lower tier less as you get more options in the higher tiers. But Bishop and Grocket seem to laugh at that idea. Bishop does it a bit better without a specific partner though. Chavez can do it a bit too.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder how much that's an artifact of who you have and how hard it is generally to cover a 5*? In particular Kitty seems like she'd go very well with Rescue (is there a 5* with a cheaper attack power than 6ap?) and OML. Is that the "best available" team? I guess I couldn't say with authority, and anecdotal evidence of never seeing it being run suggest "no." 
    Certainly true in the case of Black Widow, and if my Thor were better than 3/0/2 it might be different as well. But Storm and Cable both play pretty well with each other and with Okoye or Kitty. Even so, Grocket is faster and Bishop is more threatening on defense.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    Very well said OP, and even if not on purpose by the devs I agree with your take
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I would like OML to go with Kitty, but he immediately is at a disadvantage due to his damage not matching up with that of newer 5*s
    OML exists on my team suggestion to spam burly strikes any time a teammate does something and that’s about it. I’d expect Rescue to tank that red for Kitty. 4 on black means Logan makes enough strikes for Kitty to do work as soon as Rescue fires Do or Die, which she can do quite often as a red battery.

anyway, back on topic.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can talk, analyze, argue all you want,  bottom line is the current dev team simply doesn't care. One of many reasons why I've stopped playing but still look for news that may signal a change
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    To the OPs post:  Lot of stuff there.  One thing I take issue with is Bishop being a part of shaking up top tier (I read as 5* meta).  He was designed as a counter to rocket/america teams in the 4 star tier (according to a dev on discord) The fact that he shuts down 5 star match damage is an unintended consequence created by players running him with 5 stars. 

The one other major glaring issue here:  it takes forever to cover a 5 star from classics.  Even if players like @tiomono are doing it, that doesn't make it easy or the cost reasonable to do.  And even if you can cover them from classics you could cover 30 of the 37 5 stars we have now and be absolutely no better off in pvp.  Theres no balance.  It's broken characters and bad characters (most of which are only bad because they're compared to the broken ones).  I have several players in my alliance that have covered and champed several 5 stars by pulling classics and still find pvp unplayable cause they cant cover the good ones....or I suppose they can  but it takes way too long.  Throwing money at it doesn't help at all, either.  The amount of money youd have to throw at it to get classic 5s to just level 450 is ridiculous.  Build a varied meta, sure.  But fix both 4 star and 5 star dilution and stop hiding 5 star dilution by having latests.  Then, sure, the varied meta works to some extent.  Until then, it's just frustration which leads to people quitting.  No more band aids.  Fix the real problem.