M20 release?

Options

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure if my question is appropriate for this thread but I'll ask anyway. 

Brigby, Is the team able to keep up with the release rate of paper magic or will we eventually skip a set? 
    We had to wait 6 months for Ixalan, but i don’t see us ever skipping a set. It’s not about keeping up. We will always get the next set. As players, we just have our patiences tested as we wait for it. Sometimes they come pretty quickly, HOU was merely weeks, and sometimes, like I mentioned above, it can be quite a wait. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:

Brigby, Is the team able to keep up with the release rate of paper magic or will we eventually skip a set? 
    We had to wait 6 months for Ixalan, but i don’t see us ever skipping a set. It’s not about keeping up. We will always get the next set. As players, we just have our patiences tested as we wait for it. Sometimes they come pretty quickly, HOU was merely weeks, and sometimes, like I mentioned above, it can be quite a wait. 
    Remember the 6 month wait for Ixalan was because the dev team literally went out of business.
    Maybe not the best example to assuage our concerns
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:

Remember the 6 month wait for Ixalan was because the dev team literally went out of business.
    We’ve waited longer than this with a dev team in place. Also there was very little difference in time between Hibernum and Oktagon. I believe it was about 6 weeks. 

If anyone would care to do the research, they can track time between sets and / or releases by combing through old release notes. 

• Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    starfall said:
    New mechanics. Great. More lag.
    Oh, come on. It's not like we've had any serious lag once they moved fabrications to Legacy, right?  ;)  :D

(/ducking and running  ;)  )
  • Mburn7
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:

We’ve waited longer than this with a dev team in place. Also there was very little difference in time between Hibernum and Oktagon. I believe it was about 6 weeks. 

If anyone would care to do the research, they can track time between sets and / or releases by combing through old release notes. 

*sigh* the gauntlet has been thrown.  Guess I know what I'm doing after work today.

Going off gut feel and (admittedly poor) memory, Ixalan was the only set to be released after the next set came out in paper, due to the aforementioned Dev Team going out of business.  I'm not counting the Zendikar sets because A:  I can't remember that long ago and B:  The game was brand new, so nobody was expecting much.
    I'll see if I can crunch the numbers later for a more definitive declaration.

That all being said, this is definitely the longest gap between Paper and PQ set release under Oktagon.  And nobody would really care about that if the new set was free of the stupid bugs we always seem to get (cards read one thing but do something else is the prime suspect, as are old bugs that were fixed coming back on new cards)
  • Mburn7
    edited September 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Ooh, I didn't realize this page was a thing.  Thanks!

Looking at that (starting with Innistrad because the game didn't really exist when Zendikar sets and Origins came out) the wait times between paper release and PQ release were:
    (I'm using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_sets for the release months of paper)

SOI:    4 Months
    EMN:  3 Months
    KLD:   3 Months
    AER:   0 Months (released same month)
    AMK:  1 Month
    HOU:  0 Month
    XLN:   5 Months (due to delay time between Hibernium going out of business and Oktagon taking over)
    RIX:    2 Months
    DOM:  1 Month
    M19:   0 Months
    GRN:  1 Month
    RNA:   2 Months
    WAR:  2 Months
    M20:   2 Months and counting  

So this delay, while substantial compared to recent history is not the longest ever.  Hibernium in the early days did take significantly longer to port sets over.  That being said this is the longest gap we've had since Kaladesh, which makes it the largest ever seen by a large portion of the player base.

@bken1234 I still don't like your example of the Ixalan wait time, though, since that was the longest by far and due to the studio going out of business.  If that's what we're seeing parallels to now, its definitely worrying to me.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    This is a ridiculously good page. Kudos to the creator(s)!
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:
    M20 had nothing mechanically new to implement other than maybe Protection which is just a combination of hexproof + prevent damage vs certain colors.  

Throne of Eldraine on the other hand will have new mechanics:
    • Food tokens / subtype
    • Adamant keyword (spells that have bonus effect if you use X amount of a specific color when casting)
    • Creatures with an Adventure Sorcery: you can either cast the creature directly, or cast the sorcery and exile the card and later cast the creature from exile.
    The last two are all much more complex than anything in M20.

Here's an example of a Creature with an Adventure Sorcery:

How bold of Wizards to dance this close to a Disney lawsuit.  ;)

• WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2019
    Options

You realize most a lot of Disney stuff is actually based on stories that are Public Domain, right?
    Edit: clarification
  • Mburn7
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:
    WiLDRAGE said:
    M20 had nothing mechanically new to implement other than maybe Protection which is just a combination of hexproof + prevent damage vs certain colors.  

Throne of Eldraine on the other hand will have new mechanics:
    • Food tokens / subtype
    • Adamant keyword (spells that have bonus effect if you use X amount of a specific color when casting)
    • Creatures with an Adventure Sorcery: you can either cast the creature directly, or cast the sorcery and exile the card and later cast the creature from exile.
    The last two are all much more complex than anything in M20.

You realize most of the Disney stuff is actually Public Domain, right?
    Yeah, what he said  :D
    Technically this set is based on Arthurian Legend and Grimm Fairy Tales, both of which are public domain.
    The fact that it bears a striking resemblance to Disney copyright that is also based on Grimm Fairy Tales (and some Arthurian Legend) is just coincidental (wink wink)
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    starfall said:
    What would make it really fun would be to add some of the quirkier things that were in various versions. Tsunami Punch comes to mind @JopeX37
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:

You realize most a lot of Disney stuff is actually based on stories that are Public Domain, right?
    Edit: clarification
    Yes, yes.  The winkey face was to imply I was joking around. :)

I know the origins of most of those stories predates Disney.  However if you have been following Disney's legal history, they're lawsuithappy enough where I wouldn't say it's out of character to try.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    starfall said:

The page was started by @octal9 but most of the content was from @Volrak.  They truly are the backbone of the wiki.

https://wiki.mtgpq.info/w/index.php?title=Game_History&action=history
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why does it always take us asking about a new set to get information? It’s like pulling teeth.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Gideon said:
    Why does it always take us asking about a new set to get information? It’s like pulling teeth.

the same applies for @Brigby though in trying to get info from Oktagon so he can relate it to us. He has repeatedly stated that he has not been informed of any changes, updates or new material but has also stated that as soon as he knows anything he lets us know asap. This has not changed in anyway since Oktagon had taken over development.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 791 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can we please have a toggle between Legacy and Standard in the Cards menu for the 3.8 release? That would be a real quality of life improvement!
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

@bken1234 I still don't like your example of the Ixalan wait time, though, since that was the longest by far and due to the studio going out of business.  If that's what we're seeing parallels to now, its definitely worrying to me.
    I mean this is literally a joke right?  Going OOB and switching developers and still didn't fall behind a set.  And you don't think that's a good example for the question "Is the team able to keep up with the release rate of paper magic or will we eventually skip a set? "  LOL