Is Prof X/Storm/Iceman worth spending LLs on?

shap328
shap328 Posts: 61 Match Maker
Firmly in 4* land (28 champed, all rostered). Not really hoarding for 5*. Is this the time to spend my LLs? I have no CP as I spend each 20 on CL.

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s a solid 3 in my opinion. You could do much worse.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed. I’ve seen some incredible Iceman videos.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    While no one single character of this trio would be considered meta or game changing, they're all at least decent to very good.

The last time we had three solid 5*s in Latest at the same time was at least about a year ago. You could maybe make the argument that Loki/Kitty/Cable was the last decent trio we had, but that's being awfully generous to Loki and Cable. Kitty was doing the heavy lifting there. Before that, mayyyyybe Jessica Jones/Beard Cap/Okoye, but Beardo definitely pulled that trio down. 

The last truly great trio we had were Daredevil/Gambit/Thor, almost two years ago. Of course, Gambit has been retroactively ruined, so even that trio wasn't what it once was. So for that reason, probably wouldn't consider SMPP/Daredevil/Gambit, even though that was a great trio as well. 

So going back further, it could maybe be Hawkeye/Panther/Thano5, or 5trange/Thano5/Panther, almost three years ago. And Panther more or less because of his synergy with Thano5.

Coincidentally, that was the same time I was starting to transition to 4* land and thus also occasionally pulling 5* covers. I can't really remember which trios of 5*s were in Latest before that, because I really wasn't paying attention before that. 

Bottom line: We seem to get a trio this good every 9 to 12 months on average. You could wait to see what the next 5* is. If you think it's better than 5torm, then you could pull Iceman/PX/Next 5*. But if the next 5* is a dud, then go crazy in Latest before the new 5* rotates in to kick 5torm out. 
  • shap328
    Thanks folks. I'll pull when X hits then. 65 LLs saved up to avoid Rescue
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    shap328 said:
    You do realize you need about 300 pulls to champ all 3 and to have a good shot of champing at least one would be over 200.
  • shap328
    wymtime said:
    shap328 said:
    You do realize you need about 300 pulls to champ all 3 and to have a good shot of champing at least one would be over 200.
    Yes - and in the original post I said I'm not hoarding for 5s yet...
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    I've been hoarding and currently have about 250 pulls. I'm absolutely pulling because I think they're all fairly strong.

My only other two covered 5s are Kitty/Loki (Kitty champed), so at the very least these three are x-men which will synergize ok with Kitty.

Also, those Iceman vids make him seem really fun and dangerous. I'm excited to play with him.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    shap328 said:
    wymtime said:
    shap328 said:
    Then there is no reason to pull from latest yet unless you are looking to play the 5* node in PVE.  If you are unloading your hoard for 5* then you want to go all in on the 5* not roughly 10 covers of 3 5*.  If you want to play the 5* essential then pull till you get one of each then stop.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    You should keep hoarding LL and start hoarding your cp until you’re ready to move to 5* land. 3 under leveled 5s will do you no good. 
  • shap328
    And if I don't spend CP or open tokens then I stop all progress on my 4s, of which I am still firmly in 4* land. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    shap328 said:
    wymtime said:
    shap328 said:
    Yeah, dont do it. Wait until you save way more.

65 tokens will probably net you nothing useful (and with no way of champing those in the future, as they will never be together again in any store). Pull from classics (if it was CP) or just save until you get to the magic 300, so you can actually max them. With that number of tokens on average you will get around 7 covers which is not that many (lets assume one char with 4 one with 2 and one with 1).
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    My recommendation would be to at least wait and see who the next 5* is. Storm is not very good on her own and really needs charged tile partners like Gambit or Bolt (which I'm guessing you don't have). If the next 5* is superior you're better off waiting--you lose nothing other than a week or two of God-mode PX.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never spend LL's on day 1 of a new token set unless it is kitty/Thor/okoye tier.

The cost of waiting until the next 5* is announced is effectively 0.
  • shap328
    So basically it's hoard the LLs (pull til I get X for essential nodes?) until I get 350 pulls, but keep spending my CP on CLs?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    shap328 said:
    So basically it's hoard the LLs (pull til I get X for essential nodes?) until I get 350 pulls, but keep spending my CP on CLs?
    What are you goals?

If you want to champ a good set of 3 5*s, your goal should be to hoard LTs and CPs as much as possible (ie hoard entirely and skip new 5* altogether, or pull for a token cover with each release and hoard everything else).
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    shap328 said:
    What are you goals?

If you want to champ a good set of 3 5*s, your goal should be to hoard LTs and CPs as much as possible (ie hoard entirely and skip new 5* altogether, or pull for a token cover with each release and hoard everything else).
    Yeah it basically depends on what you want, and also how many CPs and LTs you get on average (top player? casual?)

If you dont care about 5s in general, yeah use the CPs in classic where you will get a lot more 4s (and more 5s, but more spread) and hoard LTs until you get to 300 so you can get 3 from latest.

If you do want to transition to 5 land at some point in the near-mid future, then hoard both LTs and CPs, and when between both you can open 300, wait for a good set in Latest and go for it.

It might even be a good idea to hoard CPs even if you are in option 1, as there might be a really good stores in the future (imagine a store with Okoye, Gritty and ProfX for example) so you have a good hoard to pull from it.

In the end, it depends on what you find fun. Hoarding is a bummer, so I could perfectly understand if you went for option 1.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    shap328 said:
    The 4* to 5* transition is very long, waaaaaaaay longer than any other transition in this game. 

If you're serious about making the jump, I'd pull to get at least one cover of each 5* as they're released so you can play their essential nodes. But otherwise hoard all CP and LT.

That will slow your overall 4* progress some, so to compensate I'd focus on getting your PvE game as best as it can be so you can get start getting good placement if you aren't already. Getting 4* covers from placement and progression will help mitigate the covers you aren't getting if you're hoarding. Once you get to, say, 300 pulls, wait for a decent trio of 5*s in Latest and break the hoard. You'll get a nice boost to your 4* tier and hopefully wall away with some champed or at least well-covered 5*s.

It will take awhile, but as your 4*s get higher, they'll give better champ rewards, which will make it easier for you to keep up with new characters. 
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Never spend LL's on day 1 of a new token set unless it is kitty/Thor/okoye tier.

The cost of waiting until the next 5* is announced is effectively 0.
    If you dont play PvE that is.  You're missing out on a month of an undercovered vs champed essential.

I finish a char once they're the next to exit, usually end up with 3 champed chars then need to wait til 3 new ones rotate in.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    You might want to hoard some CPs anyway now, for the anniversary special store. Instead of spending every 20, a month of hoarding is doable. A fan fave store might contain some very good fives, and possibly even vaulted good fours... up to you of course. :)
  • JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    I disagree with some of the advice here. If you're happy in 4* land with no plans to transition any time soon, but you hope to cover one or two of these 5*s in the future (like I really want Iceman) then you should absolutely get as many covers as you can while they are in latest. Dilution is going to make it increasingly difficult to get them once they arrive in classics.