Need some help on which 3*s to recruit. Detailed post.

Hyzen
Hyzen Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
Just want to start off by saying I am missing out on some finger flicking around different colored circles and possibly 3 standard pulls involving 1* Spider-Mans from this 33 minute post. Relatively new player, but threw $19.99 for a Deadpool deal and 9.99 for a VIP. Currently at 30 roster spots, 5 open, but 12 different Rare character covers with about 6 to 12 days left in the covers. Let's assume I am working with 8 open spots for this post. Most importantly, need help on who to recruit. I know there are quite a few geniuses in here. From reading in forums and Reddit, I will just save all my Elite covers. Currently at 8. I assume no sense in just adding more rares, to have a 13 day ticker, to eventually just selling for iso-8, because no roster spots. Plus, right now, I don't want to run into an award of getting more rares without having the choice to recruit or sell while taking up a roster spot from a cover that is about to expire. I want to get this done. Definitely need some help. 

Game plan: Level up 2s. Then start collecting 3s and opening big possible covers when roster spots open.

I will list the covers I have in order of what I think will be best for building a collection. I also will attach my current day 15 roster in a link below. I have been averaging approximately 8 hours a day since being unemployed. Not to mention alliance hopping because I am placing high and leading in points, but only a quarter of these members on different alliances even participating. That is another story.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Hyzen/
* Note: I understand I might have to eventually sell Elektra and Carnage 4*s. As well as 2 of my 1*s. Currently, they are viable for what I got.

Used the championed rewards link to figure a lot of this out: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/37687/champion-rewards-by-character/p1

3*s to either recruit or sell: (let's pick 8):
Top of my list are potential covers that could be helped from 2* championed covers.

~ Cpt Marvel - Modern .. red, yellow . Eventually for 4* Cpt. Marvel - Carol Denvers.
~ Human Torch - Classic .. green . Eventually for 4* Thing - Classic.
~ Cpt America - Super Soldier .. red . Eventually for 4* Winter Soldier - Bucky Barnes.
~ Black Widow - Grey Suit .. purple . Eventually for 4* Nick Fury - Director of Shield.
~ Thor - Modern .. red . Eventually for 4* Red Hulk - Thunderbolt Boss.

The rest I don't know if worth recruiting or selling. Maybe need the vet MPQ players here: 

~ Scarlet Witch - Wanda Maximoff .. blue, purple. Eventually for 4* Quake - Daisy Johnson.
~ The Punisher - Dark Reign .. 2x red. Eventually for 4* Punisher (Max).
~ Gambit - Modern .. red. Eventually for 4* Rogue - Classic.
~ Daredevil - Man Without Fear .. blue. Eventually for 4* Elektra - Unkillable. (Currently one 4* Elektra in roster)
~ Star-Lord - Peter Quill .. grn. Eventually for 4* Star-Lord - Legendary Outlaw.
~ Black Panther - T'Challa .. blue. Eventually for 4* Mr. Fantastic - Reed Richards.
~ Spider-Man - Classic .. yellow. Eventually for 4* Miles Morales - Spider-Man. (I've heard Bag-man is not worth it to level, so I assume this is my least important option.)

120 hours + $30 = Start saving covers if you want a good collection. Or else you are a screwed MPQ player. Because those covers that you sweated, accomplished, and earned will go straight to the purple things we named iso-8. Oh I get it, you are trying to have fun and play the game at a higher level, but no no no. You need roster spots opened before even thinking to any next steps. This is an expensive little game. Mwuhahaha. One that involves many days of gameplay. Years. Have fun new little minion gamer. - Love the f***** logic!

Maybe one of you suggest to just open those Elite Covers. See what you get and come back to this post. Maybe you guys/girls suggest on which ones to recruit and which ones to toss down the drain for 500 purple pieces of ****. Maybe one of you offer a crazy active alliance. I will take any advice or suggestions. I will also be actively checking other posts.

Thank you to whoever helps or reads this post.
~Hyzen

Comments

• Hyzen
    How do I delete this? Accidentally posted this in Tips and Guides as opposed to Roster and Level Help.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Roster Slots are the number one limiting factor for much of this game, yeah. The usual advice is not to open Tokens unless you know you can use anyone who comes out, either by training someone or recruiting them. The other part is to never spend HP on anything other than Roster Slots until you've got everyone on board. Don't worry about Shielding, don't worry about buying from Vaults, none of that. HP are for Roster Slots only.
    In a similar vein, by the time it really matters what 4* each 3* feeds, you should have most or all of them on your Roster. That's really not a significant concern at this point. Which of them are fed by a 2* themselves is worth considering, tho.
    All of the 3* with feeders on your list are worth keeping, yeah. That's definitely a good start. Of the next lot, SWitch, Punisher, Spidey, and Star-Lord are the ones I'd try to keep, since they're good Characters and those are covers for some of their best powers. Gambit is pretty much disposable, just toss him when he's about to run out*. Daredevil is mediocre, and his blue isn't very good at less than five covers. Black Panther is good, but his blue is his weakest ability.
    In addition, for the moment, stop putting ISO into anyone except your 2*. First off, a fully covered and leveled 2* is better than a half-covered 3* in most situations. Secondly (and this mostly just goes for 4* Deadpool), when you play PvP, the teams you can see, and the teams that can see you, are determined by the the average level of your 3-5 highest level characters. Single outliers can skew averages really hard, and right now, 4Pool is adding something like 10-15 levels to your rating. Once you've got several 2* champs, then start leveling up your 3* to match them, but don't take them past the level of your best 2* until you're ready to champ some. Depending on which, it is possible to go with a single 3* champ, but it's usually best to wait until you have 3-5 or so ready.
    Finally, 120 hours is not a substantial time investment for MPQ. This game is a marathon, not a sprint. Really getting solidly established takes at least a year or two, maybe more like two to three at this point. People with complete rosters have generally put in thousands of hours, not just hundreds, and/or paid quite a bit of money. It is doable, there are people who have made it to the top levels while staying free-to-play, but it requires dedicating a lot of time if you're not going to spend.

*It's always best to hang on to them for as long as possible. We don't get much advance notice on who's going to be Required, so it's often a good idea to keep a couple of "flex" slots that you can use for someone just for the one Event where they're needed, and then sell them off afterward. If you only use one Cover, it works out exactly the same selling them from the Roster or the Queue.

EDIT: No need to delete. A Mod can move it to the correct Forum.
  • Hyzen
    Extremely helpful. Wish I could add you as a friend.
  • Hyzen
    I ended up opening the 9 Elite Covers and only have Squirrel Girl and Iron Man Model 40 as more problems.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Glad to help! IM-40 is 100% a keeper. He's one of the Big Three of the 3* tier, along with Strange and Thanos. Squirrel Girl is fun, but not a particularly strong character.
    Also, if you look in the upper right corner of your posts, by the time stamp, there's a little gear. You can click on that to edit rather than double-posting.
    Speaking of editing, I forgot to add that once you get some 2* champs, you can sell off all but one of your 1*, and free up a couple of extra slots that way. Spidey, Iron Man, Juggernaut, and even Storm are capable of soloing the 1* node in DDQ, and there's nothing else they're ever required for.