Are Supports Over?

13»

Comments

• Greenroom
    Greenroom Posts: 71 Match Maker
    I burnt my hoard of support tokens(a whopping 4) with this change to chase the Royal Talon Fighter and pulled a rank 2 with the 3rd.

The support "market" may be inherently broken but the right support on the right character is a game changer.

• Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    They're over with me, bruther. I just got a two star Arc Reactor today. Once I have all the non-Infinity Gems supports maxed, then I'll hope they get a move on with an update. 
    The fact that you have infinity stones is already better than 95% of the folks playing.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    My only useful one is the royal talon fighter, on those 5* essential nodes. It's like the team damage proc is waiting to come out, like it's groundhogs day.   I'll fire an Okoye Yellow, and there'll be this delay that feels like an eternity where I hope for that banner to show.  

My only other useful ones are tile fortifiers, but that doesn't impact clear speed with DD/Thanos or Thorkoye or Thormerica.  
  • Zombionicdoom
    Zombionicdoom Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I like the supports but it’s so ridiculously hard to get a token that it’s a very frustrating feature. I can’t even remember the last time I got a support token and I play every day for at least an hour, sometimes up to 3 hours. Why are the tokens in such horribly short supply?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Remember though, supports was the PREMIER feature of 2018, something so big that everything including their Infinity War tie in took a back seat. Where are they now?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    I like the supports but it’s so ridiculously hard to get a token that it’s a very frustrating feature. I can’t even remember the last time I got a support token and I play every day for at least an hour, sometimes up to 3 hours. Why are the tokens in such horribly short supply?
    Let's say you had a ton of money right now, this weekend, burning a hole in your pocket to chase Supports.

Let's go to the store.....click, click, click......click click click.......clickclickclick......????

Yes, until Monday morning (about 48 hours from now) it is literally impossible to chase even the lowly Beginner Support tokens in the game, as they ONLY exist in PVE vaults for standard (not-a-new-release) events.  So this happens every 2-4 weeks for about 2 days, give or take.

Take my money!  I want to try to get some Supports!   

No.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    At this rate I will be net riso positive soon.  I'm running out of supports to invest in.
  • bluewolf
    At this rate I will be net riso positive soon.  I'm running out of supports to invest in.
    I have a ways to go, but it could happen eventually.

Depends if I want to put any Riso into Rank 1 Supports that won't help me at all.

It's kind of funny to consider the timeline....

April 2018.  Supports come out.  Riso is super scarce....we ask for more and wait and wait.

September 2018.  Riso is dramatically increased (rewards in PVP and PVE).  We start asking for more ways to earn them.

January 2019.  Support Circuit debuts to offer a chance to get more Supports (in theory).

April 2019.  Support Circuit and vault goes away.

And here we are in September 2019.  Still getting lots of riso.....  Support tokens are MORE rare now than before, since they not only dropped the Support Circuit, they haven't bothered to launch a Support or a bundle or a store since April when we got the Endgame Supports.  At least when they were pushing out new ones, you could spend HP or CP and chase some tokens.

But hey, at least they are rotating them in the Support store.
  • GreenArmadillo
    GreenArmadillo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    I spent $35 for a guaranteed 3 star Lockheed from some X-Men related vault last month and I have no regrets.  My 6 cover Kitty is my 2nd highest level character and this makes her work well with a wide range of 3 and 4 stars.

Big picture, people with meta 5 star champions have no need for Supports because they already beat all the PVE and can't use them in PVP.  Those of us who could benefit from supports can rarely get them, but clearly D3 is primarily concerned with inflation. (Fair enough, if they push new supports weekly there will be ones that are unexpectedly strong.)
  • bluewolf
    I spent $35 for a guaranteed 3 star Lockheed from some X-Men related vault last month and I have no regrets.  My 6 cover Kitty is my 2nd highest level character and this makes her work well with a wide range of 3 and 4 stars.

Big picture, people with meta 5 star champions have no need for Supports because they already beat all the PVE and can't use them in PVP.  Those of us who could benefit from supports can rarely get them, but clearly D3 is primarily concerned with inflation. (Fair enough, if they push new supports weekly there will be ones that are unexpectedly strong.)
    Honestly, a Rank 3 Lockheed is not that great on Kitty; better is Chewie to push out attacks.  But it largely depends on where you are in the game and whether you are mostly trying to just finish nodes vs trying to clear them quickly.  Obviously the protects help if you are taking on high level nodes that are difficult to complete.

I use Supports all the time, making the best pairs of what I have with essentials for each PVE.  I do have the meta 5's.....other than, maybe, BSSM to combat Gritty.  There are a few Supports that give you free AP at the start of battle that can really speed up clears (Atlantis, Yaro Root, etc) if you have the right ranks.

The fact is that Supports are so RNG driven, it makes each person's attitude depend a lot on what they have pulled.

Maybe the devs are worried about power creep and that has driven them to reduce development, but honestly I think the issues remain the same as they have been:

1.  Many Supports have a somewhat random combination of perks, making it hard to tell other players, or know yourself, exactly which ones to use where (especially if you have mostly low-rank Supports).  Confusion about what to do with them doesn't help them, especially among more casual players.

2.  The Support acquisition process has remained difficult almost the whole time they have been in the game.  By design.

3.  Many Supports at low ranks have very small effects, so players don't get very excited about using them for obvious reasons.  Which creates a feedback loop of not wanting to chase them, since you mostly get low level dupes.

4.  The newer issue is that the devs make tokens give out more low-rank Supports in general under the....assumption(?) promise(?) that you could earn more of them, then they ended Support Circuit and basically removed Master tokens form the game. Recent Support offerings have been HP stores, along with the Beginner Support tokens in PVE vaults and Advanced tokens in PVP T25 season rewards.

It's really all kind of a comedy of errors in terms of making people excited about them in general.