Legendary Resupply Bundle (8/13/19)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Looking to do some major boosting / restocking of your resources, and want to help your Alliance at the same time? Well then check out the Legendary Resupply bundle that's available now!

Legendary Resupply
  • Starts: August 13, 2019 at 12:00pm ET
  • Ends: August 16th, 2019 at 12:00pm ET
  • Cost: $74.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)
  • Contains:
    • 5 Command Points for you and your Alliance
    • 5x Legendary Tokens
    • 9,000 Hero Points
    • 24,000 Iso-8
    • 3,500 Red Iso-8

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a shame the go-to tactic is to spring these on us with as little notice as possible to pressure people to buy in a panic before the offer ends. I wonder how many people (like myself) are going to miss out, but could have made the purchase if we'd had, say, even a week's notice?
  • Kingart813
    Kingart813 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Yes!!! More offers like these please!!
  • MaxPowers
    MaxPowers Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    3500 riso where do I sign up!?
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2019
    I guess the thing for me (which I mentioned on the other thread) isn't questioning the value of the deal, but whether it's worth it based on what's been available to spend resources on lately.

I'm not intentionally hoarding per se, but I have been holding onto CP and LT until there is something worth buying. Other than the Th5nos HfH I've not seen much of anything to buy with CP for two months as the special legendary stores have pretty much stopped since the Strange/JJ/Kitty store in early June. So now I sit at 2100 CP waiting for something like that to happen again. 

For LTs there just hasn't been a trio without a clunker in a while (certainly not since KP). I cracked open my LTs for Hela and I am glad I did, but I really don't care for Pepper and without knowing what the next 5* will look like it's hard to get excited about adding another 5 tokens I may not spend for months.

So...I guess there is the saving HP for anniversary angle. Hard to get $75 bucks worth of excited about that when it's not really a great pure HP bundle.

Don't get me wrong, the deal itself is great if you are in a different spot, want the resources and have 75 bucks to burn. But it's hard to get excited for a deal if all it does is nominally add to resource numbers you aren't excited to spend right now anyway.

Covers or costumes at the very least provides something I can enjoy now.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    grenadier said:
    Anyone else tired of being expected to pony up for this sort of thing?  Wouldn't you rather pay $20-$30, even $60 for a game and be done with it like we used to do?  They're not  adding SO much content to this game to justify these kinds of charges.  Same goes for all other F2P games.

I like the game, and have put money into it in the past.  But what they're expecting people to shell out for this sort of package or the costumes is really nuts.

That's why I just play it for free because with all of the champ rewards I get plenty of legendaries anyway. The only real upside to this offer for me is the hp. I mean I could spend $75 and get five legendaries and who knows what I would get since dilution is so bad. If I'm going to spend that much on games then I'd rather get like four GOTY version console games. Hell earlier this year after I retired I went out and bought an Xbox 360 for like $40 and then I found a "like new" legendary edition of Skyrim for $12 and the discs were in pristine condition. Now that's a deal.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too rich for my blood.... Pass
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    It's a shame the go-to tactic is to spring these on us with as little notice as possible to pressure people to buy in a panic before the offer ends. I wonder how many people (like myself) are going to miss out, but could have made the purchase if we'd had, say, even a week's notice?
    This. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    Think I’ll pass, any new content due? Or new supports ?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have a tight budget, this bundle is not for you. If you are expecting everything to be cheap, you came to the wrong place. Go for VIP or Bugle Pittance. This industry don't run a business model like Walmart where it is "Everyday Low Price" or "Save people money so they can live better."  :p

Here are something surprising:

Less than 5% of players pay for in-game purchases.

30% of the sale goes to Google and Apple. In this case, $25 USD goes to them.

It's probable that another % goes to Marvel/Disney.

Another % goes to the publisher, maybe.

To conclude, if Google/Apple reduce their commission %, the players can get a cheaper deal.  :/

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,241 Chairperson of the Boards

30% of the sale goes to Google and Apple. In this case, $25 USD goes to them.

To conclude, if Google/Apple reduce their commission %, the players can get a cheaper deal.  :/

I'm not going to say I'm the biggest defender of Google and Apple (although they are probably better than Amazon and Facebook), but anyone on the App Store and Google Play is probably pretty happy to pay their commission in exchange for access to millions of users.  How likely is it that MPQ would exist without the giant networks, storefronts, phones developed and sold by other people who took that risk for themselves?  It might have lasted 6-12 months tops via DLC on console before development shut down as revenues dried up.

Now:  More purchases = more money.  Volume would make up for less revenue per sale - in a world where more people bought in.  Drop it too much though, make it a bargain, and the devs sabotage their own store sales by training us that extremely good deals could drop at any time (see the cessation of the SCL bundle type offers for vets).  I guess VIP exists to offer us a cheap bundle (9.99 for 2 LTs and various other things makes paying 74.99 for 5 of them look like a pretty bad deal, although the HP might be enticing.)

The fact is that this particular bundle is uniquely skippable, as other than accelerating your gain of resources, the player misses nothing.  No concentration of covers for good characters, no costume, no Support.  No guarantee that you'll see some return from your money in terms of usable characters or anything else.

That said, some will be convinced by the technique of anchoring (the devs having established a cost of virtual resources in their store over the years) that this is a good deal and buy it.  Many (most) other people weigh the cost vs real-world goods and have a different opinion.
  • HoundofShadow
    Generally, these cost are passed on to consumers. All these packages might be up to 50% cheaper without those commission. Google around and you find other game developers sharing their experiences about Disney and Marvel Licensing costs. And it's not a simple and cheap process. 

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sure, but free to play mobile games are not the only place you'll find licensed video games.  Licensed video games on consoles are not generally priced differently to those built around in-house IP.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    More ridiculously priced deals while no new content added. Same old, same old. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Because both are based on different business and marketing model. 

A console game is typically a finished product. You have to pay an upfront fee before you can play the whole game. Typically, you have heavy advertising to promote the game. Trials are limited. This game model typically come with expansion packs or DLC for a fixed price.

For mobile games, you can usually enjoy the whole or most of the game without paying anything. The entry cost is usually zero. It's either money or grind. It  is also an ongoing business cost because manpower costs and other factors are included in the cost of continuing this game. For MPQ, there's also licensing cost for new characters

Recently, Apple and Google are coming up with their own gaming or apps subscription plan. For Apple, it's $10 USD every month where you play their selection of games without IAP or RNG.

Let's say MPQ join either Apple or Google would you be willing to spend 10 every month just to play MPQ and a variety of other games and apps? Things are definitely going to change for games that transit into Apple's or Google subscription gaming/apps plan.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    grenadier said:
    Anyone else tired of being expected to pony up for this sort of thing?  Wouldn't you rather pay $20-$30, even $60 for a game and be done with it like we used to do?  They're not  adding SO much content to this game to justify these kinds of charges.  Same goes for all other F2P games.

I like the game, and have put money into it in the past.  But what they're expecting people to shell out for this sort of package or the costumes is really nuts.
    Think the game's at the point now where they're trying to get as much out of the remaining players as possible before it eventually gets shuttered.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because both are based on different business and marketing model. 

A console game is typically a finished product. You have to pay an upfront fee before you can play the whole game. Typically, you have heavy advertising to promote the game. Trials are limited. This game model typically come with expansion packs or DLC for a fixed price.

For mobile games, you can usually enjoy the whole or most of the game without paying anything. The entry cost is usually zero. It's either money or grind. It  is also an ongoing business cost because manpower costs and other factors are included in the cost of continuing this game. For MPQ, there's also licensing cost for new characters

Recently, Apple and Google are coming up with their own gaming or apps subscription plan. For Apple, it's $10 USD every month where you play their selection of games without IAP or RNG.

Let's say MPQ join either Apple or Google would you be willing to spend 10 every month just to play MPQ and a variety of other games and apps? Things are definitely going to change for games that transit into Apple's or Google subscription gaming/apps plan.

I really don't remember the last time I saw an advert, at least on TV, for a console game. I want to say I saw one for Days Gone but can't be sure.

I see FTP games all the time advertised - Clash of Clans, etc. On a daily basis.

I think most FTP games restrict heavily how much you can play without pay or "recharge time"/wait or pay to speed up with gems etc. The only two I have ever played with much regularity is MPQ and Plants v Zombies 2 both of which are generous with what can be achieved for zero spend. However they seem to be nearer the top end of these things.

There are also ongoing costs for many console games - most often servers that have to be far more robust than a typical FTP game - COD servers have to run at 60FPS for example. Also using COD again as an example there are development costs for additional DLC of which there are normally 4 per release. Add in weapons, costumes, etc. and it isn't like the costs end with the first time that game goes on sale.

And games like Fortnite prove that FTP does not need to be predatory.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    grenadier said:

Think the game's at the point now where they're trying to get as much out of the remaining players as possible before it eventually gets shuttered.
    To me the fact that they made a new game engine is pretty good evidence they are in it for the long haul.  That couldn't have been cheap and is behind the scenes for the most part.