The new engine is pretty great!

Everything is so smooth now! And it’s nice that there’s no delay going into matches. Nice work. :smiley:

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed. Very smooth and pleasant to interact with. the pre-loading of low rez assets is painless. Everything is super crisp, and all the animations (once you've seen them once), are really nicely timed.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Almost 120 fps buttery smoothness, it is so much easier on the eyes now, this is so much better.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2019
    Hm, I'm noticing in steam that I can no longer click on my other character icons to ready their powers while a cascade is falling.

Edit: Agree with the buttery smoothness, very nice.

I've also noticed that I have to click slightly further back than I'm used to in order to change the targeted opponent. Not a big deal but a weird sensation for a game I've been playing every day for 5 years.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn’t know I wasn’t satisfied with the old engine until I tried the new one. So nice!

Great work.
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Steam version just closes ingame. No error message or something, just closes and steam syncs (and match is lost of course). Played 4 PVP matches and it happened 2 times. Gave up frustrated.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Great job on the new engine!
  • AntiLeni
    AntiLeni Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    The gameplay on the new engine is great, but there's a flash when you make a match that hurts my head. I'm probably sensitive to such things, but it's making it near unplayable, as I just played two PvP matches and have a headache threatening. I play on Steam, Win10, fwiw. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was rather surprised when I saw the 1.8 GB download for Steam, but the speed of the game has improved tremendously.

steakleather said:
    Hm, I'm noticing in steam that I can no longer click on my other character icons to ready their powers while a cascade is falling.

I've also noticed that I have to click slightly further back than I'm used to in order to change the targeted opponent. Not a big deal but a weird sensation for a game I've been playing every day for 5 years.
    I've noticed both of these two...thought it was just me.

There was one other thing that I think happened, but I can't be sure.  On Turn 1, America Chavez's team got a match 5 which cleared a column.  This was followed by two match 4 rows in a row, which got rid of two columns right next to each other.  I'm pretty sure that her traps went off at the end of her turn, rather than the beginning of the next one.  Was this a change?
  • SupremeChefGio
    SupremeChefGio Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    My game wont even boot anymore. Anyone else having this issue?

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Well, I was about to praise the new engine and then the game crashed on me. Lovely.

Edit. Crashed again. This is such a joke.
  • Acemontiero
    Acemontiero Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    I also miss the back button at the bottom of the screen. I'm still trying to figure out how to lock it there so I don't have to drag it up every time. Ugh.
  • kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    I am also disliking the missing back buttons on my Android (Samsung Galaxy S10). Now it takes two motions (one swipe to show the buttons, one tap to go back) instead of just the one tap to go back. Very annoying over time.

Luckily on my S10 I am able to turn on "one hand" mode which allows swiping from the edge of the screen to be mapped to particular buttons which is an ok fix.

I still much prefer buttons though ESPECIALLY if what has replaced the buttons is just black, useless empty space....
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alliance chat in Steam seems to be busted.  The text box doesn't scroll if your message is too long.  If you hit return and start typing a second message, the first one pops back up into the text box.  You need to get out of the chat window completely and then go back into the Chat box for a clear box, without manually deleting every single character.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Aw man, I was excited about flip screen (so my iPad could have the charge port at the top while the game was running), but it doesn't seem to be working on iOS. Was the flip screen option not included in this update (in fairness, I don't think it was explicitly promised), or is there some setting to adjust?
    Otherwise, it seems a lot snappier and more responsive. Overall a big improvement on iOS!
  • FinnyMPQ
    FinnyMPQ Posts: 51 Match Maker
    KGB said:
    It loads fine on Android but haven't tried PvP yet.

However all the 'back' buttons that used to exist at the bottom of the screen are gone. So now I totally have to re-learn how to find the 'back' button that isn't always in the same place (ie retreat button is not where back button is). I *hate* the fact the universal back button at the bottom from the Android O/S is gone and that I have to use the top one or the retreat button that exists in the game (which took me 5 minutes to find to retreat. :'().

Is there a way to play in windowed mode (with the android top/bottom buttons always available like they used to be). Now it's wasted blue space.

Speed wise the game seems nice but like another user mentioned, the flashing during matches is giving me a headache that never was there before. This is going to be a problem.

KGB
    On Android (Galaxy S10+) I found that if I give a quick swipe up from the bottom of the screen the back button reappears for a few seconds. An annoying step when you're used to it being there but I guess I'll get used to it 
  • FinnyMPQ
    FinnyMPQ Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Aaaand just noticed that kennn712 already posted this 🤷‍♂️
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Gameplay is definitely faster: opening tokens, moving between stores and vaults and other movements are faster.

I would like to have the back button to the bottom right because it is more intuitive. I find that having the back button at the top left could be faster when viewing characters and going back and forth between their stats. However, when you you want to jump from nodes to nodes or queue opponents in PvP or Simulator, the experience is slower. 

All in all the positives outweigh the small inconvenience of the bottom navigation bar being hidden and the back button on the top left.

I haven't experience any crash yet while climbing in Sim and PvP fighting against Mockingbird.
  • MTP
    MTP Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Back button is upper left now.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    The only issue I have experienced so far is with trying to fire powers where it doesn't seem to want to recognise me hitting ones that are "not at the front" - I assume this is similar/related to the "depth" problem referred to by steakleather and Sambrookjm above.