House of X PVP

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
In your store, you can still find the House of X Vault, which most people consider one of the best ones they have offered to us.

In your Versus tab, you have the House of X PVP which IMO is one of the worst events they have put together.

Problem 1:  You have 3 nodes, each of which requires either 2/3 Magneto, 4/5 Jean Grey, or 4* Prof X.  For high end players (4/5 tier), only the Jean and Prof X nodes are realistic in terms of being able to run someone that won't get hit by everyone else....you can play the Magneto node if you don't care about trying to get a high score, but if you are (trying) then you only have 2 functional nodes to use for your qs.  I would assume there are lots of players who have Prof X or Teen Jean champed, but not both, who are in a similar boat in this PVP.  This is probably also true to some extent for 3* players with champed Cmags.

Extra fun:  I had a q saved on the Jean node, got hit by someone during a hop (2 matches) and guess which node got overwritten by the retal?

Problem 2:  BOOSTED BISHOP.  Do you like fighting Bishop?  Wouldn't it be fun if EVERYONE is running Bishop, because if they don't, they get hit instantly?  Congratulations Speed Bump, you're the Belle of this Ball.

Problem 3...Boosted Kitty.  Not a huge deal but the team I see the most is Prof X, Kitty, and Bishop.

Positives
#1  The usual meta is definitely missing less useful here.  Variety is a good thing.
#2  If you like playing for wins, this is the event for you.
#3  Low scores maybe makes placement more attainable for some people?

I sure hope this event is either never run again or somehow changed.  A Bishop nerf would fix a lot of the problems...

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah spot on. I ran to 900 using thorokoye but tbh I should have just run the bishop team as when I did I didn’t take damage anyway.

No one has ever needed a nerf since I’ve been playing like bishop not even gambit but they don’t even give us a hint if this is being looked at. So I don’t know whether to bonus hero him and get him high as possible and become part of the problem or expect a rework aka nerfed into the ground.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    I think the feedback about "Bishop's passive OPness" reminds me of feedbacks about characters like 3* Hulk's and Valkyrie's passive abilities: the damage threshold should get lower as they level up, if not these abilities activate less often, which means, they are quite useless. 

On the other hand, Bishop might be a sadistic answer to 5* vets' complains about 95% of their 4* characters sitting in their rosters doing nothing, except when necessary. 

I thought Iceman's passive stun is a good counter to shut Bishop down. Of course, it's always easier and faster to skip Bishop and start Thokoying or Grittying away, rather than use someone non-meta to answer the challenge. So, the easiest solution is still to nerf Bishop.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also thought House of X would be a mess, but made ninth place mainly by sticking to the Prof. X node with Gritty. The Claws for Concern on the other hand has to date been a right on cascading disaster costing lots of health packs. Probably just bad luck. 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

Problem 1:  You have 3 nodes, each of which requires either 2/3 Magneto, 4/5 Jean Grey, or 4* Prof X.  For high end players (4/5 tier), only the Jean and Prof X nodes are realistic in terms of being able to run someone that won't get hit by everyone else....you can play the Magneto node if you don't care about trying to get a high score, but if you are (trying) then you only have 2 functional nodes to use for your qs.  I would assume there are lots of players who have Prof X or Teen Jean champed, but not both, who are in a similar boat in this PVP.  This is probably also true to some extent for 3* players with champed Cmags.

^^This.  I normally don't pay too much attention to who I play against, but when you only have one node to do your queues on you see the same teams over and over again.  In other words, I apologise to the player I hit a few times in a row.  It was the only non Bishop, or Gritty team I could queue for a while.  
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:

Positives
    Yay for just my 2nd top10 finish in pvp!

This definitely felt better suited for an off season event like the current Claws For Concern, but at least it was the last event of the season. This meant players knew what was needed for season progression.
    I had already passed 10000 for the CPs and had considered skipping this event, but am now glad I didn't.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow...in the span of one match, I lost nearly 300 points off my score.  I was cruising up to 900, and then all of a sudden, my score drops back down to 655.  That's easily the most I've lost in a single fight.

The devs definitely get points for trying something different, so kudos for that.  Boosting Kitty and Bishop in a Prof X event, though...  I think that was a bit of a mistake.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kahmon said:
    bluewolf said:

Positives
    Yay for just my 2nd top10 finish in pvp!
    Yeah, I made 22nd, which I think is my highest placement in PvP ever. Between that and getting past all the Grockitty/Bishop teams at the end of the sim, it took a ton of ISO, tho.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kahmon said:

This definitely felt better suited for an off season event like the current Claws For Concern, but at least it was the last event of the season.
    My thought exactly.  I was surprised when I saw that this was the final PvP event for the season, rather than the first one for the off-season.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Re: The timing, Marvel obviously wanted them to push out the House of X vault and event right after the comic launched (this past Wednesday).  I assume there was an....incentive....to do so in the days following the ship date.

So yeah, an offseason would have been a lot better......but too late for Marvel's purposes.

SYNERGY!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the one hand I hit 40 wins before 900 points which I haven't had to do in quite a while so the extended boost list and BishGritty teams obviously had an effect.

On the other hand - I kind'a enjoyed the event. I used pretty much all the boosted characters and even took down some Gritty teams with Sabretooth.

I think this would make a decent off season event.
  • TPF Alexis
    bluewolf said:
    In your store, you can still find the House of X Vault, which most people consider one of the best ones they have offered to us.

In your Versus tab, you have the House of X PVP which IMO is one of the worst events they have put together.
    And the event didn't even give out Tokens to that Vault, either. They were just plain Heroics.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ran Rogue/Teen Jean/Cyke and managed to keep under Bishop's threshold until I could nuke him with either Cyke or Rogue.

Overall didn't think it was a great event, because I think when you only have one node you can use to maintain an ideal team that's a drawback. I like the premise... but the execution isn't ideal. Maybe just boost all of the units that can be used in the required slot and let people play from all the nodes.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always get bummed out when PVPs give out plain-ol' heroics. I'd have liked it better if it didn't encourage people to double down on Gritty teams. But it's cool that a new thing showed up
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    Was it just me or were the essential chars all over?
    Shouldn't my Prof X node only have been allowed to play another Prof X team? Likewise with Jean playing a Jean team and Mags playing a Mags team?

That would have made more sense to me, but that sure wasn't what I encountered.
  • TPF Alexis
    Was it just me or were the essential chars all over?
    Shouldn't my Prof X node only have been allowed to play another Prof X team? Likewise with Jean playing a Jean team and Mags playing a Mags team?

That would have made more sense to me, but that sure wasn't what I encountered.
    IIRC, Snowball Fight was like that, too. That one didn't have the same spread of star tiers in the Required Characters, tho, so it was less of an issue. But yeah, I was using Jean to pick on a number of Mags teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always thought what happened was choosing one of the requireds put you up against the other optional requireds in events like this. Like if you picked Patch in Claws for Concern, you only get served up the the other Wolverines as opponents. But i think that was just me not paying attention
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    The issue with having the nodes be appropriate is that one the following needs to happen:
    1. Only use the "last" team in the appropriate node, so that any given opponent can only be found in one position at any given time, regardless of the number of skips. Some slices can be very target poor, this will potentially make it three times as bad. But it also means someone could technically have the same opponent queued in all positions if patient.
    2. The game has to not only store your "last" team for others to fight, but store three copies of your "last" team (one from each node). And that doesn't even account for what a "last" team looks like for a node that a person hasn't even played yet.
    3. The game would store your "last" team as only the optional portions of the team, and make assumptions about the required character portion. Not only does it have to decide which version of the character to use (highest level gets dicey when dealing with boosted 4s vs 5s), but also which copy (if I have two maxed copies of a 4 star character spec'd differently, or I'm transitioning from fully championed 2s with a few covers on a 3).
    The way it works now gives the largest pool of targets without building some roster selection logic that would only apply to a few events here and there.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    It wouldn't have been too bad if Bishop wasn't boosted -and- as someone else suggested, if 3* and/or 4* Cyclops could have also been allowed to use on the Magneto node. 
    I definitely like the main thought here, requiring 1 of 3-5 or more characters could be great. Next time??

And by the way, Bishop will be part of a week-long boost list some time soon. Maybe Brigby can let us know early, I have a 7-day vacation to take..
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    You have it backwards that vault was expensive and the PvP was fun.
    this PvP had a super mashup of different combos because the boost list was so deep and the reqd could be 2* or 3* or 4* or 5*! If one Reqd died you could save on Healthpacks and go fight with a different Reqd. Ton of X Flavor! great background art!

Nah, the only thing wrong with this event was that the bubble for the Prof. X reqd node wasn't the one above his head.
  • Zeofar
    Zeofar Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2019
    I really enjoyed this event and I'd be happy to see more like it.