MPQ: Rebalance verses New Characters

Comments

• Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    It's about time! I would love that!!!
    Rebalance should be easy.
    Rebalancing the strongest characters would piss players that spent cash on their covers. Even so, the Devs could do a symbolic change. 
    But rebalancing the weakest characters would provide a new stream of cash. Imagine players spending some cash on wasp covers because her buff got her to a playable level....
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Game is very mature now and we don't get the interaction with the developers like we did in the past.

They missed a HUGE opportunity where they could have involved the community to help develop or rebalance a 3* / 4* / 5* every so often as part of a contest or general feedback. It would be cool to pick any of the weak characters and improve them based on community feedback - better than the sparse guessing contests they offer. They still could do this, but appears the game is on autopilot for enhancements.

It does not have to be that elaborate and should not take away from the money making release of new characters. Tweaking Phoenix to be consistent with other 5* should have been a no-brainer with the movie release and would have been a great tie-in. 
  • theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Rebalances would be my choice. It would be great if my 5* Wasp was usable for something other than fodder.

It also would really fun if all the older 5*s got their stats updated. This would create a lot of interest in those characters;  the devs could then run special stores accordingly to make extra coin.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    No way, I would hate that! I like the currecnt rate of character releases.
    I think people would then complain they couldn’t keep up with latest and new stores for reworks. Same for newer 5* players like myself who entered the tier with gambit. Those that spent well would already have the older ones covered, those like myself would then have to split my resources.

For example if they reworked arch angel to be top tier tomorrow and put in a rework vault it would be CP. I would then have to abandon latest pulls to chase down an older character. Within a few months I’d be ending up with massive issues covering them. It certainly doesn’t help that LTs can’t be used as CP.

I don’t want pressure increasing this way, I don’t think it would generate more spending because those that spend likely already have them. Let them die, they can’t all be good. Just the same as every other tier.

On reflection the only time I’d like to see a quick rework is while they are in latest when it’s clear like pepper they suck or powers are too expensive.
  • Projectus2501
    Tony_Foot said:
    For example if they reworked arch angel to be top tier tomorrow and put in a rework vault it would be CP. I would then have to abandon latest pulls to chase down an older character. Within a few months I’d be ending up with massive issues covering them. It certainly doesn’t help that LTs can’t be used as CP.

Why would this be bad?... If you had the choice to  spend your cp on an older char or on LL this should be a challenge, therefore a good thing. Much better than grinding without a plan ( there is no plan when you only have one choice).

Ps: we always give as a bad example wasp, but archangel is another. Wish the Devs would do something about it. I don't think I ever saw it in PvP 

PS2: reworking a char does not need to get him to top tier. Top tier chars are by themselves unbalanced chars that make all the rest seem bad. Mid tier would be enough 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot said:

Why would this be bad?... If you had the choice to  spend your cp on an older char or on LL this should be a challenge, therefore a good thing. Much better than grinding without a plan ( there is no plan when you only have one choice).

No it wouldn’t be a challenge it would mean I’d half cover everything unless I started spending a fair bit per month. A challenge to me is something I could achieve without spending.
  • Projectus2501
    Tony_Foot said:
    Tony_Foot said:

No it wouldn’t be a challenge it would mean I’d half cover everything unless I started spending a fair bit per month. A challenge to me is something I could achieve without spending.
    The challenge would be to choose only one. But ok, I get that not everyone as agrees. No prob :)
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    A long long time ago in Marvel Puzzle Quest that now seems far away, they could accomplish both at the same time. 

Also in before "mah they're a small staffed group" excuse. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's no way it would happen regardless. Rebalanced characters don't make them any money. If a character isn't very good, eh...just push the player to the character that is. Get them to spend money to acquire the meta.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think rework doesn't add any benefits to top players because as long as it doesn't replace the current top meta, they will still be referred to as the "95% characters sitting on their rosters doing nothing except when needed in essential." 

Rework might benefit those who have them champed, but for those with a few covers, the rework is as good as a new character release because it's "impossible" to cover older characters. 

Let's say all the worst characters(Banner, Wasp, Kingpin, Rescue etc) get reworks and move up the ranking charts, some other characters will have to move down the ranking and take the place of the worst characters. So, what's next? 

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Thats what I was thinking, rebalances aren't phased out because they don't make money, its that they don't make a difference. The 5* meta is too deep for vets, and people with a few 5*s are still able to benefit from weaker 5*s.
    As for 4*s forget it. It is so deep, and so diverse in leveling, that one character moving up or down won't matter. To the vet with Winter Soldier champed in the low 300s, a buff won't make him a number one option. To a newer player with WS almost champed,  buff won't make him playable. The pool is too deep for any rebalance to make the difference it used to make. 
    I just think there is more that needs to be done to change the game before rebalances and new characters can really affect the game
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    A rebalance is definitely required, and has been for some time. It might not change the meta, but it could give rise to some new tactics which weren't possible before. This would only make the game more enjoyable. But I doubt @Brigby et al will recognise that this post even exists :-(
  • Joz76
    Joz76 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Kitty Pride, Bishop, Rocket and Groot. With 3 Hereos you are invincible! I you have that 3, you always win, if you not, must choose enemy in PVP who doesnt have that 3. Tha game is greatly imbalanced and boring with Kitty Pride. Before Kitty Pride I rate this game 9/10, at the moment i think 2/10. Please think about rebalance Kitty Pride powers!
  • Tony_Foot
    Kitty’s not a problem. Bishop is. There are more than enough counters to kitty grocket now. 
  • Projectus2501
    There's no way it would happen regardless. Rebalanced characters don't make them any money. If a character isn't very good, eh...just push the player to the character that is. Get them to spend money to acquire the meta.
    True. I think they did the experience changing doc octopus. Then they gave us stores with kitty, okoye, Thor and thanos... Unfortunately that's where the money is... And the game degradation too
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    ATTENTION FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS, IT IS IMPERTINENT THAT, WHEN ENTERING A THREAD, YOU READ *EXACTLY* WHAT THE OPENING POST SAYS, BEFORE COMMENTING.

This survey had absolutely nothing to do with *BALANCING CHARACTERS*.  Hence, why the opening post says, "If MPQ spent an extended amount of time *REBALANCING THE GAME*."

Meaning the entire game.  How the game works.  How the game runs.  PVE.  PVP.  Alliances.  Rewards.  Tokens.  VIP.  Roster Selection.  Tokens.  Vaults.  Daily Resupply.  Etc.

No opinions necessary.  Simply would you be okay with the production of new characters taking a break while game gets updated?  Yes?  Or no?  Or are you ambivalent toward the thought? 
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2019
    And you think all of that in your third paragraph could be accomplished in one month?

Better to rework the survey and ask for a vote on which single one of those would be worth taking a month off from new character releases.

I can help narrow that list for you. Ask which things are issues for 3* players and below.
    Answer none of those hurt the majority of players in the game.

You continue to think the single 5* tier player tree is the forest and not the tree.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    ATTENTION FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS, IT IS IMPERTINENT THAT, WHEN ENTERING A THREAD, YOU READ *EXACTLY* WHAT THE OPENING POST SAYS, BEFORE COMMENTING.

This survey had absolutely nothing to do with *BALANCING CHARACTERS*.  Hence, why the opening post says, "If MPQ spent an extended amount of time *REBALANCING THE GAME*."

Meaning the entire game.  How the game works.  How the game runs.  PVE.  PVP.  Alliances.  Rewards.  Tokens.  VIP.  Roster Selection.  Tokens.  Vaults.  Daily Resupply.  Etc.

No opinions necessary.  Simply would you be okay with the production of new characters taking a break while game gets updated?  Yes?  Or no?  Or are you ambivalent toward the thought? 
    Characters are a huge part of the game. Any rebalancing of the game or talk of it will naturally take people's brains to the idea of "character rebalancing".

People seem to often view all the other stuff as "new or improved features". 

On to your question: I think it would be great to overhaul how the game works even if that meant slowing down or stopping characters for a time.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    And you think all of that in your third paragraph could be accomplished in one month?

Better to rework the survey and ask for a vote on which single one of those would be worth taking a month off from new character releases.

I can help narrow that list for you. Ask which things are issues for 3* players and below.
    Answer none of those hurt the majority of players in the game.

You continue to think the single 5* tier player tree is the forest and not the tree.
    No I don’t, you think that’s what I am looking at but you have lost sight of what I have been talking about for a long time.