Please fix this waste of a boss event

2»

Comments

• TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    You really should merc yourself out for boss events 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, our alliance loves this event.  We generally beat round 8 on bosses, but sometimes it's a fight to the finish, depending on the event.

This one... Always done early, and it gives us not just the time off... But a feeling of "yeah... We don't suck that bad after all!"

Not to mention i like how these bosses powers work.  ...if it wasn't for Gritty, I would probably have to work on it a bit harder.  Not like that's a bad thing...
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I don't understand why there is no middle ground.  Why are the first several rounds so easy and then it jumps up into bizarro "I hate this" rounds?  Why can't it progress without making things so difficult in the end?  Maybe it's just me.
    It's not just you.
    There's a thread about this very topic in general.  Alliance run events have done this since the very first one, and it never made any sense.  And probably will never be addressed or even mentioned.  I would even like some type of answer from the devs as to why there is this massive level jump to begin with.

The levels of the sub-nodes should be based on the current round, not event time remaining.  When the Boss Node/whatever is noticeably easier than the sub-nodes, which is often the case for transitioning 4-Star rosters, you know there's a problem...
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    This is a long one so skip to the end if you’re short on time. 

This was addressed at some stage but I can’t find it from searching the forums. These basic idea is that the 8 hour refreshes are analogous to moving through the PvE nodes along the path (where it exists). The first three are easy and after that the difficulty jumps up so in boss events the first three refreshes, the first 24 hours, are the equivalent of PvE easy nodes at really low levels and after that the difficulty climbs to what would be ‘normal’ levels for the clearance level you’ve chosen. There used to be a concept of easy, normal and hard PvE nodes but normal and hard have been brought to roughly the same level by fixed scaling. That’s what’s in play here. 

This is is clouded by two other factors. One is roster based scaling. People have largely forgotten what this was like so it comes as a shock when the levels of the enemies don’t stay at predictable levels but are a function of your roster and the boosted characters. The second is that the difficulty of the side nodes is increasing with every refresh outside of the difficulty spike. This is fairly linear though I don’t have the figures to back that up.

My guess is that there’s a calculation done for on-level roster equivalence when you enter the event. That sets the maximum level of enemies in the side nodes (I think this was discussed to be based on your top three characters but, again, I don’t have the link) then there’s a linear by-refresh factor, 2-3% of the top level would feel about right, and the PvE easy, normal, hard scaling. I’m going to count the number of refreshes and ignore the 1/2 length period at the end so you have R(0) at event start to R(9) at the final refresh. You end up with something like:
    Level R(n) = roster level * (100 - 2.5*(9-n)) * (IF n < 3 THEN 0.2 ELSE 1)

Roster level is the highest level the side nodes can reach and is calculated on your individual roster. 

100 - 2.5*(9-n) is the linearly increasing difficulty, where each refresh ticks the difficulty up a bit, in this case getting it 2.5% of roster level closer to max

The contingent IF, THEN term is the legacy PVE easy, normal, hard scaling being applied. This might actually have another term to differentiate between the normal and hard equivalent side nodes but i’m usually so put out by the jump from easy to normal that I don’t pay much attention to exactly what the levels are doing at that stage. 

TLDR : the levels of the side nodes in boss events was discussed by the devs at some point. The first three refreshes, the first day, are the equivalent of the first three ‘easy’ nodes in PvE. After that the levels of the side nodes move to ‘normal’ PvE levels. 

Also, I broadly agree. I think a smoother curve would be better all around.