Interview with MPQ Mastery - Eloy Lasanta (7/11/19)

2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I read it. I also remember him visiting this forum and just shilling his videos with click bait thread titles that offered nothing much and no intention of interacting with the community, just trying to drum up hits. It is what it is and isn't something I feel is within the rules of this forum, so to see him being promoted is a bit disappointing. But hey, if the Forum owners are fine with what he did then nothing more to say really. Maybe now though you'll understand my perspective.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    So basically we are upset because a highly positive member of the community who puts effort into what he does gets an interview and forum shout out, while more knowledgeable and far more negative players haven’t?

Some people I have no idea why they still play the game, everything upsets them or thread after thread of demands. The game clearly doesn’t meet the expectations of what they want and you think the devs should give them an interview? Really?

His channel isn’t for me, but if he helps keep newer players interested in the game and they drop a few £ then fair play to him. 
  • DAZ0273
    Tony_Foot said:
    So basically we are upset because a highly positive member of the community who puts effort into what he does gets an interview and forum shout out, while more knowledgeable and far more negative players haven’t?

Some people I have no idea why they still play the game, everything upsets them or thread after thread of demands. The game clearly doesn’t meet the expectations of what they want and you think the devs should give them an interview? Really?

His channel isn’t for me, but if he helps keep newer players interested in the game and they drop a few £ then fair play to him. 
    Guess I am old school, my time spent on message boards was about interacting with the community, not selling my wares. Sorry for any negativity I have brought.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Tony_Foot said:

Guess I am old school, my time spent on message boards was about interacting with the community, not selling my wares. Sorry for any negativity I have brought.
    Yeah I remember a time when promoting yourself without any intention of interacting with the community got you banned, not interviewed by the official crew of the message board.

So I guess it's ok to advertise now if you throw together some videos?
    I think I still have some fitted kitchens to sell.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is that new? No the PW3 don’t interact here either except a post about the podcast. I don’t have a problem with that either.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, my views on this hasn't changed since my comment in the link @Waddles_Pines posted: more MPQ content is always generally going to be a good thing, but the click-baity forum threads were obnoxious.  Since @MPQMastery
    cut that out, it's water under the bridge for me at this point and if he were going to post threads for new videos similar to what the PW3 guys do, that wouldn't particularly bother me so long as it were obviously titled as such (again, like the PW3 guys do).

• DAZ0273
    ZootSax said:
    Yeah, my views on this hasn't changed since my comment in the link @Waddles_Pines posted: more MPQ content is always generally going to be a good thing, but the click-baity forum threads were obnoxious.  Since @MPQMastery
    cut that out, it's water under the bridge for me at this point and if he were going to post threads for new videos similar to what the PW3 guys do, that wouldn't particularly bother me so long as it were obviously titled as such (again, like the PW3 guys do).

I'm perfectly fine with this also.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    ZootSax said:

I'm perfectly fine with this also.
    Absolutely, 100%, I think that MPQ Mastery should post his video links on the forum, but I guess he didn't like the reception he got before.

I think some knowledgeable, fair feedback from MPQ vets on his videos could be helpful to him.

Re:  The PW3, they do engage with the community during their podcast (on Discord, yes, but that provides both the live audio channel for listening as well as instant feed back/commenting/etc) and also respond to various comments on the podcast.  And they do sometimes engage in the Discord chat at other times.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    So is Eloy Lasanta a contributor here? I won't lie, I didn't get an enormous level of anything  from that but if Eloy is one of our posters here then would love to hear more.
    @DAZ0273
    I knew the user name sounded familiar.  Here's a post of his I found using search; read through it and draw your own conclusions...

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75653/is-the-vip-program-worth-it

Yeah. I can honestly say that this may be the worst thing I have ever come across on this website. This guy has offered nothing to the community apart from shameless shilling of his sub standard YouTube nonsense and here we are being presented as if he is some sort of authority on this game that the community respects and uses as a resource? I am not even a competitive Vet of this game and I am appalled, I have no idea what the people who really know about this game feels.

Utterly bemused.

@LakeStone - many of us are familiar with this guy as a shameless self promoter who in no way that I am aware of is recognised as a go to resource for this game. @bluewolf @Phumade
    @The rockett @Daredevil217 @smok@Sm0keyJ0e to name a few know more in their little finger than this guy does.

I have probably said too much so ban me now if this is the way things are going.
    I am deeply offended to be left without a callout.  Perhaps I need to start my own youtube channel or twitch stream about the game to self-promote my expertise. . .

As for the main topic.  Both the interview and youtube channel seem like fluff, but not particularly harmful fluff, so I can't get too exercised about it.
  • DAZ0273
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    So is Eloy Lasanta a contributor here? I won't lie, I didn't get an enormous level of anything  from that but if Eloy is one of our posters here then would love to hear more.
    @DAZ0273
    I knew the user name sounded familiar.  Here's a post of his I found using search; read through it and draw your own conclusions...

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75653/is-the-vip-program-worth-it

Yeah. I can honestly say that this may be the worst thing I have ever come across on this website. This guy has offered nothing to the community apart from shameless shilling of his sub standard YouTube nonsense and here we are being presented as if he is some sort of authority on this game that the community respects and uses as a resource? I am not even a competitive Vet of this game and I am appalled, I have no idea what the people who really know about this game feels.

Utterly bemused.

@LakeStone - many of us are familiar with this guy as a shameless self promoter who in no way that I am aware of is recognised as a go to resource for this game. @bluewolf @Phumade
    @The rockett @Daredevil217 @smok@Sm0keyJ0e to name a few know more in their little finger than this guy does.

I have probably said too much so ban me now if this is the way things are going.
    I am deeply offended to be left without a callout.  Perhaps I need to start my own youtube channel or twitch stream about the game to self-promote my expertise. . .

As for the main topic.  Both the interview and youtube channel seem like fluff, but not particularly harmful fluff, so I can't get too exercised about it.
    Apologies!
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    We're supposed to be excited about a community spotlight from a group notorious for completely disregarding the community on a regular basis? Not only that, but they were on the podcast on the same day.

Kinda feels like having a parade and a carnival to distract from the fact that there aren't any town hall meetings and patting yourself on the back for positive community interaction.

I don't even think there's a need to address the content in the spotlight because the real issue here is that the devs have upgraded from simple silence and inaction to actively investing energy into sweeping communication issues under the rug, and that shouldn't be okay.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    For me it boils down to something he said in the linked thread:  "I am definitely trying to find my place here."
    Really?  As far as I know that's the last thing he said on this forum, though I could be wrong.  I have no particular issue with the interview, but I just find him to be disingenuous, not as knowledgable as advertised, and not a part of this community (which is most certainly not a crime).
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Please keep all comments civil and do not attack others. Thank you!
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I guess my question is, why?

First, this is not a hate on Eloy post. In fact-good for you Eloy! You took something you enjoy and are exploring making content out of it with the intent of helping and entertaining others. Whether or not I’m helped or entertained is irrelevant because I’m not directly rating his videos.

What puzzles me is why they chose to spotlight him. Much like others, I find the advice on the forum significantly more insightful than the videos of his that I’ve watched (full disclosure: 3 today, 0 from birth through yesterday). And it’s not like his videos have a ton of views-most seemed to be only a couple hundred with a few hitting near 1K and one beginner guide near 10K.

Are there links on his videos to download the game so D3 knows he’s driving new players? Maybe it’s helping revenue?

Are they trying to show there’s opportunity to step out of the forum and into video content? After all, video content drives clicks and search results more than written content. Maybe it’s bait to get others to step up?

Is it possible he paid for the interview? I wonder if I can buy one?

Is it possible he’s related to someone at D3, Demi, or Marvel?

I’m not accusing, I’m just asking-why???
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    Does seem a strange one. Four years playing this game and I'd never heard of him so he cant be that big in the MPQ universe if he's not crossed my path at all in that time.