Great job with the last batch of 4*!!!!!

Options
Phumade
Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
Starting with 4* thanos, Ronin, Sabertooth, and now Blackcat, it’s been a great run of chars.  I’ve been using them in SIM and found them to be incredibly versatile against a lot of different combos.  In particular, I found Ronin to be much more versatile than I expected.  

1v1 Blackcat is really dynamic and will be a fantastic COTT match.

Ronin is a great third partner that wipe out enemys.  My only real complaint about Sabertooth is that I wished match 3 were processed BEFORE the 3x3 explosion, but otherwise I found him to be easy to use and consistent in his output.

i’ll be Keeping an eye open for opportunities to earn these covers.  

The new new designer deserves an attaboy, for new mechanics and chars that integrate well with the existing meta.  They will never replace an existing 5* combo in a mandatory featured event,  but they are absolutely a great option in 3x3 matchup

@Brigby
@IceIX

Comments

• BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have to agree and am willing to go back even further. For me the 4*’s have been really good since Prowler but the very latest ones (Sabertooth, Ronin) have been top notch. 

Now on let’s adjust Bishop just a bit and we’ll be good 🙂
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,914 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree. I wish that one of Ronin/Tooth were 5* (especially given the amount of 5* duds we’ve gotten). They are so good! Happy for all the 4* players out there who get to build teams around them though!
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sadly I hit 5* transition RIGHT about when this run started so I haven’t played them as much. The last 4* I really played the heck out of was Prowler, and I loved finding ways to exploit him. These new characters however do seem fun and I’ve been impressed with how playable they all are while still feeling true to the characters.

So I will echo the OP: Kudos to the devs!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,623 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 4's have been really good, harks back to the golden summer of 2017, maybe we need a Spidey film in the year?
  • LLohm
    LLohm Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Good call Phumade and though I do long that some of the named 4* are 5* instead, the designers have been having good inspiration on making characters that we want to play with in the 4* tier.

My wish is they bring this inspiration into the 5* tier as well.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LLohm said:
    Good call Phumade and though I do long that some of the named 4* are 5* instead, the designers have been having good inspiration on making characters that we want to play with in the 4* tier.

My wish is they bring this inspiration into the 5* tier as well.
    I'm not a 5* player, but it seems like 3 of the last 5 (Doom, Hela & Storm) are solid enough, even if not quite meta, and Rescue is not exactly useless either, if not quite up to the others.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I think the issue with the 5* meta is that there tends to be a god-tier, followed by a solid middle tier, then a trash tier. It takes so long to build a meta-counter at the 5* level that you may as well not bother, which means you're basically reliant on power creep to get you over the hump (assuming you don't have everyone already). As soon as you have even 1 5* champion, this is going to be your life for a good long time unless you sell it off. Imagine you have a scale of 1-5, where 5 is the current meta, and 1 is Wa5p. You have Thorkoye at 5, Kitty at 4 (since she is reliant on a 4* buddy) nearly everyone else at 3, then a couple at 2, and then Wa5p at 1. This kind of assumes we're talking about PVP, since Thano5 is his own realm of god-tier in PVE but not especially helpful in PVP outside of 3* or release events where you can slay the required.

At the 4* level, if there's a team you're struggling with, you can spend a few weeks bonusing, or a month or two if you're totally flatfooted, and come up with something that will help. 

On-topic, I also feel like this has been a particularly strong batch of 4* characters (I'm also on the Prowler-forward train mostly). I just haven't been able to chase them too hard since I'm still working on feeding Jessica Jones via Chavez since january. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Glad to hear that players are enjoying the designs of the latest 4-Star characters! I'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the rest of the team :)
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I look forward to the next year when I finally get enough covers of these guys to use them.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,623 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I look forward to the next year when I finally get enough covers of these guys to use them.
    In the interest of fairness and trying to keep this thread in the positive nature intended: I have managed to get both Thanos and Sabretooth to 10 covers. No it isn't easy, doing so meant sacrificing Talos (well not really a big deal) and Ronin and yes dilution bites hard now but it can be done and I am not by any means at all a dedicated PvE player. 

The Devs don't get much praise here, maybe we should at least let them have their dues here without backbiting too much, plenty of other threads for that!
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's good to hear some positive opinions on this forum. Too often do we see moaning and pronouncements of doom and gloom. I agree that the last few 4*s have all looked like useful characters :smile:
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    In the interest of fairness and trying to keep this thread in the positive nature intended: I have managed to get both Thanos and Sabretooth to 10 covers. No it isn't easy, doing so meant sacrificing Talos (well not really a big deal) and Ronin and yes dilution bites hard now but it can be done and I am not by any means at all a dedicated PvE player. 

The Devs don't get much praise here, maybe we should at least let them have their dues here without backbiting too much, plenty of other threads for that!
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. This is valid praise, they have done a great job on the 4* releases, it’s good to let them know.

Plenty of room for criticism elsewhere. I’ve had days where I just need to vent over a bad streak, so I get it. Maybe use the “Worst” thread or make a different thread relevant to your situation though. Time and place...

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like Sabretooth a lot and have been using him in PVE and sometimes in Sim vs Gritty teams.   I also like Ronin. Not sure about Thanos, he hasn't seemed terribly useful for me.  But I'm in the 5 tier. 

Black Cat is a lot of fun overall as well.  Her PVP has been fun to play, anyone with a stun is nice.  

While the 4 tier is getting (possibly) too big, the work on the characters remains strong overall.  (Sorry Talos, not you.)  Hope that trend continues with Mysterio and beyond!
  • nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I still feel Bishop is too op as a 4*.  He makes Gritty team untouchable.  I feel his 4 blue ap generation should be per turn.  on a cascade in the beginning against thorokye, he gets automatic 12-16 blue ap.  Once Okoye is stunned, it makes sabertooth useless.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I like Sabretooth a lot and have been using him in PVE and sometimes in Sim vs Gritty teams.   I also like Ronin. Not sure about Thanos, he hasn't seemed terribly useful for me.  But I'm in the 5 tier. 

Black Cat is a lot of fun overall as well.  Her PVP has been fun to play, anyone with a stun is nice.  

While the 4 tier is getting (possibly) too big, the work on the characters remains strong overall.  (Sorry Talos, not you.)  Hope that trend continues with Mysterio and beyond!
    Use 4* Thanos, (with your best 5* A team) to take out Gritty Bishop.  You still need to be able to match out 2 of their strikes,  but 4* Thanos is remarkablly consistent at nullifying gritty combos (more consistent than sabertooth, because his 3x3 explosion is unpredictable and you'll lose the ability to predict how the cascades fall).  The key is understanding how big of a bishop your team can manage.

All 4 of those chars are sub 280 for me.  So it was surprising to see how efficiently they merged into my 5* 470 teams and really that was the basis of my comment (I'm sure the 3*/ 4* rosters can figure out how to integrate them into their teams, but I was specifically commenting on how easy these 4* worked with Gritty and Thorokeye)

In any situation, where your nullifying a specific enemy mechanic they will excel.

4* Thanos against bishop gritty combos.
    4* Ronin to counter chars who reduce/steal specials, and or where I can link the nukes together.
    4* sabretooth for the serial nuke combo/okoye interaction
    4* black cat for 1v1 matchups.  She's literally the only 4* that didn't need Tu's in her 1v1 matchups.

As a rule, using a 4* in a 3x3 combo is almost always better than a random 5* champ.  Especially if you can build your 5* combo to tank/ limit their color exposure.

I can't comment on prowler, Namor, dazzler, magic (I have them over 300 and they seem a bit slow to be used in concert with 5*). You probably need to use them as the center piece of a team, not as a third complement.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Prowler with his support Tinkerer (at even level 1) paired with Shuri and C4ge vs minion tile spammers was some of the most fun I've had in 4* land. I don't use it anymore now, but I still have fond memories of "He who shall not be named".
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    nippy said:
    I still feel Bishop is too op as a 4*.  He makes Gritty team untouchable.  I feel his 4 blue ap generation should be per turn.  on a cascade in the beginning against thorokye, he gets automatic 12-16 blue ap.  Once Okoye is stunned, it makes sabertooth useless.
    Better yet have him generate yellow so he can still self fuel but a little slower and other blue stunners don’t get free easy stuns.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Prowler is the newest 4* I’ve covered completely (still haven’t champed him), I still haven’t covered Bishop all the way. I did manage to get Ge Doom covered pulling as I go though lol
  • Warbeast_7
    Warbeast_7 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have to agree and am willing to go back even further. For me the 4*’s have been really good since Prowler but the very latest ones (Sabertooth, Ronin) have been top notch. 

Now on let’s adjust Bishop just a bit and we’ll be good 🙂
    Hold your horses now, don't forget that Talos and Namor are both things.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Namor is not that bad. He may be a bit slow, but his damage output and board shake is pretty decent. Definitely not worth lumping him in with Talos.