I've been hoarding legendaries for years and I have a few questions about 5* PvP

2»

Comments

• TranscendGod
    TranscendGod Posts: 53 Match Maker
    I'd like to thank everyone for the additional comments. First of all, I totally agree that if my goal was to make my roster as strong as possible I should have spent the hoard during the Thor/Kitty/Okoye store (with bonus heroes for Thanos for PvE). I definitely considered it. But I've mostly been hoarding because of how much I enjoy the 4* tier, and I'm in no rush to open. In fact, I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't be too disappointed if MPQ was shutdown before I could even open my hoard. And because I do well in release events (typically top 2 PvE), I haven't needed to open legendaries to champ most of my 4s (I have every non-limited 4* champed except Sabretooth and Black Cat, and I managed to have every single 4* champed at some point last year by hoarding ~2200 heroic tokens and using bonus heroes).

Now that they stopped adding feeders consistently, I've had to adjust my plans a bit. I'm opening more latest than before, so they won't increase much from ~1200. I'll probably hoard command points until at least 40k (~5-6 more months), although I might be tempted by an incredible store. Then I'll either go for classics and try to use bonus heroes and feeders to possibly complete every 5* simultaneously, or I'll go for 3x 550s from a store + the 3 latest. The holiday store is another tempting option, in which case I could have several high level 5s + the 3 latest.

Now a question about the simulator in PvP. At what point do you hit the Gritty Bishop wall? I normally climb near the end of the season so I can use many fun teams against a wide variety of opponents. Thankfully, I can't queue that wall until ~2200 or so. But I imagine it's different for a 5* player (perhaps depending on your levels).
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Wow. Thanks for the great insight. I had no idea that it was possible for someone with high level 5* champs to queue 3/4* rosters if they start at the right time and play in the right slice. In the past, when I talked to a 550 player about their experience, they were only able to queue other 550 players during their initial climb most of the time.

Answer:  Yes you can see 2 star, 3 star and 4 star if not many out.  The game looks for 5 to 7 players with good points for you with similar rosters.  With that said, if you have 5-7 other 550's out at 30 points and 10 460's out at 70 points, it will probably give you the 550's.  Thats what your friend meant by its a hard climb for 550's.  It used to be easier back in the day when only a couple had 550's, but now that rosters with 500-550's are fairly common due to hoarding, my comments about timing/slices/etc come into play.

I heard from someone that if you softcap your 5s (at ~370 or lower) and have many max champ 4s, you can still have 4* MMR (and not just queue champ 5* teams despite having level 450+ boosted 4* each week). If true, I'd probably consider it simply because I enjoy the variety of the 4* meta (particularly how it changes each week with the boosted list). Does anyone know of someone with a roster like this? I'd love to know about their experience with PvP. At the moment, my average 4* level is a bit over 300 with no 4s anywhere close to 370.

Answer:  You can stay in the 4 star MMR due by softcapping to the highest level of your 4 star roster.  Usually that is 360 to 375 level for your 5s.  Its not a pure science and we don't have complete knowledge of what makes up MMR so it can be tricky because once you tip over the edge, theres no coming back.

Also, something no one has mentioned that may change your course.  If we use the 15% pull rate and your pull all latest, you need 2260 pulls to get 3x550.  You currently have 2480 pulls.  That does not take into account all the champ rewards.  You will have a lot more pulls available to you due to the champ levels.  The reason I say this is because when you max champ a latest and pull another cover for them, they will trade that for another latest.  If you have 3x 550 in the latest and you pull more covers of those, you can exchange them for any other 5 you want.  Meaning you can spread them out for all your 5s, or boost thor, okoye and kitty only or just 1 of them.  This would be worth more to you if you had some 5s that had 13 covers, but its a start.  I know of 1 other player like yourself who did something similar and ended up with 3x550 and an okoye and thor in the high 500 range.  Hope that helps.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    I did not hoard. Have nine 5* champs (Wasp will get her 13th cover from a feeder in no time, so I’ll still have nine 5* champs) with a max level of 475 and I see Gritty/Bishop all over the place at 1200 or so. However, I see Thorkoye right from the start and all the way up to and including the Gritty/Bishop wall, so there is still a way up even if it is more difficult. Having my own Gritty/Bishop and now Sabertooth/Okoye helps a lot with PVP.

BTW, congrats on that restraint. When I just think about getting my greasy palms on your hoard my mouth starts salivating. It wouldn’t last me two days, lol.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another thing you could consider is (for a good release store ) get 13 covers of a new release and have fun with God mode boost to see how it feels. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 said:

Also, something no one has mentioned that may change your course.  If we use the 15% pull rate and your pull all latest, you need 2260 pulls to get 3x550.  You currently have 2480 pulls.  That does not take into account all the champ rewards.  You will have a lot more pulls available to you due to the champ levels.  The reason I say this is because when you max champ a latest and pull another cover for them, they will trade that for another latest.  If you have 3x 550 in the latest and you pull more covers of those, you can exchange them for any other 5 you want.  Meaning you can spread them out for all your 5s, or boost thor, okoye and kitty only or just 1 of them.  This would be worth more to you if you had some 5s that had 13 covers, but its a start.  I know of 1 other player like yourself who did something similar and ended up with 3x550 and an okoye and thor in the high 500 range.  Hope that helps.
    Ummm, I mentioned it. Several posts back:

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    You have enough pulls to max champ whatever three latests you pull for and enough left over to max champ at least one more, maybe two if your 4's are all champed and in good shape. Or you could spread the covers around and go for a few level 500 versions like Kitty, Okoye, and Thor. That would probably be the route I would take.
  • grunth13
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    grunth13 said:

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    You have enough pulls to max champ whatever three latests you pull for and enough left over to max champ at least one more, maybe two if your 4's are all champed and in good shape. Or you could spread the covers around and go for a few level 500 versions like Kitty, Okoye, and Thor. That would probably be the route I would take.
    My bad, i read it wrong...i thought you meant get 550 x 3 and hoard the rest... also not everyone knows about the exchange policy for 550s
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    grunth13 said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    grunth13 said:

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    My bad, i read it wrong...i thought you meant get 550 x 3 and hoard the rest... also not everyone knows about the exchange policy for 550s
    What is the exchange policy for 550s?
  • grunth13
    grunth13 said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    grunth13 said:

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    What is the exchange policy for 550s?
    If you reach 550 in latest only,  you can get any other 5 star in latest cover for duplicates.  If you get all 3 latest to 550, then you can exchange for any 5 for duplicates. 
  • TranscendGod
    TranscendGod Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Thanks again for all the great information! It has been fun to ponder.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    I heard from someone that if you softcap your 5s (at ~370 or lower) and have many max champ 4s, you can still have 4* MMR (and not just queue champ 5* teams despite having level 450+ boosted 4* each week). If true, I'd probably consider it simply because I enjoy the variety of the 4* meta (particularly how it changes each week with the boosted list). Does anyone know of someone with a roster like this? I'd love to know about their experience with PvP. At the moment, my average 4* level is a bit over 300 with no 4s anywhere close to 370.

Transcend:

That sounds a lot like my roster. I have two max-champed 4*s and 29 other 4*s between 332-365. I then have 28 fully-covered and 5 partially-covered 5*s "parked" at 330. I did this because I didn't want to rush champing 5*s and make my 4* roster immediately irrelevant. At the time I decided to do this, I only had ten 4*s above 330, and I didn't want to have any 5*s make my 10 highest-rated characters.

How it's working out for me: In PvP, I usually run whatever's boosted that week. I'm seeing a lot of low-champed Gritty teams from the get-go. As I climb, the amount of 4* and non-Gritty 5* teams thin out, and it becomes more all-Gritty-all-the-time by 600-800. I can get to 800-900 with floating, but 900+ involves shielding and picking my best spots to jump. After 900, there's rarely a worthwhile (30+ point) 4* team.

On one hand, I get variety from the boosted list. On the other hand, I'm at the mercy of that list (I didn't have Sabretooth or Ronin champed, and so limited options ate up my health packs). I don't believe there's a lot of variety to be had by anyone in the current setup. It's either Gritty, champed 4*s, or whatever is highest on your roster.

Low-champed Kitty will level a hurting on my teams if I don't have an optimal board, so I don't sprint as easily as I used to. I don't believe that champing my 5*s would make PvP any easier, and it's irreversible, so I won't do it. However, Gritty has pushed me closer to the ledge than any other time since I "parked" my 5*s.

Also, I play SCL9 in Story mode, and I bet I'd have a lot easier time if I ever champed my 5*s. As it is, I've conceded to myself that the best I can place is T20.

So, I've decided that parking my 5*s at 330 is best for me for now. I've entertained upping them to 345, since they'd still be outside my top-10 ranked characters. I believe that champing even just my meta-5*s would elevate me to a world of tougher 5* teams and invalidate all of my favorite 4* champs.