50cp for a 5* costume thoughts

2»

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv said:

KGB said:
    My 4/4/4 Daredevil is looking forward to the costume since he can use the cover even though I won't be champing him anytime soon (I'm not ready for 5* leap) and my 4* KP is at 285 and I'd get the 13th cover that way at some point anyway. 

Anyway, back to the 50 CP cost (assuming you need the 5* cover). To me it's only a 50 CP cost if you are planning to spend the 50 CP in a limited store. If instead you were going to spend it on classic / latest tokens then it's not a 50 CP cost. It's just a deferment of opening 2 tokens (since the pulls in those 2 stores are predetermined so it doesn't matter when you do the pulls).

KGB
    That deferment can determine whether or not you finish a character, your argument makes no sense.  You're basically saying currency doesn't matter until you run out of it (and spending 50cp helps you run out of currency sooner).
    No, I'm saying that because pulls are predetermined in Classic/Latest stores it doesn't matter if you pull 2 tokens today or 5 days from now when you get 50 CP from finishing your next PvE event. You get the exact same covers (minus the rare case when new characters are added to tokens or move from latest to classic in 5*). So the cost in that case is just deferring opening the tokens for a few days until you generate 50 CP. 

So yes, I am saying currency doesn't matter until you run out of it AND you can't earn more before you need it for something really important. This is similar to real life when you spend money on frivolous things knowing you are earning plenty of money on your next paycheck to cover regular expenses. It's only an issue if an unexpected emergency comes up (in game terms that's a limited store you need to spend in now before it's gone).

KGB
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I see no value in the costumes so only evaluate the offer based on everything else.
    With my DD at 4/2/0 this is an easy pass. If it had been the purple cover instead then I would have at least considered it.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    I would have bought this for 50cp, just because I think it looks cool, and cp is earned regularly (albeit slowly) and spent infrequently. Very hard to justify the "other" 250cp for the 5* cover, but my DD is only 1/0/1.

I did buy the Shuri costume bundle after some consideration. Only because I consider hp as an earned currency, rather than a "bought" currency, and I have a fair amount on hand at the moment.

I didn't spend the real-word money for Thor or Dr Strange or Kamala Khan costumes.
    I didn't spend in the vault for Okoye or Luke Cage costumes
    I am happy with the Doc Ock costume in VIP, but wasn't subscribing at the time of female Deadpool.

The costumes are interesting, and I'd like to have them, but it's too irresponsible for me to spend that much on some of these other deals.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    No, I'm saying that because pulls are predetermined in Classic/Latest stores it doesn't matter if you pull 2 tokens today or 5 days from now when you get 50 CP from finishing your next PvE event. You get the exact same covers (minus the rare case when new characters are added to tokens or move from latest to classic in 5*). So the cost in that case is just deferring opening the tokens for a few days until you generate 50 CP. 

So yes, I am saying currency doesn't matter until you run out of it AND you can't earn more before you need it for something really important. This is similar to real life when you spend money on frivolous things knowing you are earning plenty of money on your next paycheck to cover regular expenses. It's only an issue if an unexpected emergency comes up (in game terms that's a limited store you need to spend in now before it's gone).

KGB

But that 50 CP you earn next week to buy the legendary tokens you delayed by buying the costume could be used to buy their own legendary tokens.  Quite quickly you're going to cross a store update where the PRNG output starts to mean something else.

I agree with the general principle that spending resources on cosmetics will mostly defer rather than lose progress, but it isn't obvious to me that you'd get exactly the same result with the time frame it takes to build 5* characters.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok, I've saved up the 300 CP for this and ready to press Buy when a 4* Kingpin gives me a DD green. So he now has 3 saved covers. 

Should I buy it anyway and use the champ levels or convert the covers. He'll be my first 5* champ. My MMR is already ruined and I've given up on pvp anyway... 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scofie said:
    Ok, I've saved up the 300 CP for this and ready to press Buy when a 4* Kingpin gives me a DD green. So he now has 3 saved covers. 

Should I buy it anyway and use the champ levels or convert the covers. He'll be my first 5* champ. My MMR is already ruined and I've given up on pvp anyway... 
    I’d buy for a few reasons. 

1) Those three champ levels give a LT, 25 CP, and 5K iso. So in my mind it brings the cost down from 300 to 250. 250 is the cost of his HFH deal. So you’d be getting the cover plus the 75k iso and a pretty sweet costume as “extras”. 

2) You want DD tanking as much as possible given his kit. So once you champ other 5s those extra levels could come in handy. 

3) If he’s your only champ you will be playing him a TON (and honestly you could do much worse for a first champ). Might as well have some costume options since you’ll be using him every match. 
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good points, well made. I'm buying!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have the 300cp, and a 6/1/1 DareDevil. I really can't decide if I should pick it up or not. Right now I'm leaning towards not, but man I love that costume.