50cp for a 5* costume thoughts

Options
Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
I think a lot of us would buy the black Netflix costume for DD if it were 'just' 50cp. 

But sneaky Demi slipped it in on top of a 'normal' hfh offering, so we have to buy the cover for 250cp to get access to the costume for an additional 50cp.

Fortunately DD is very good character (arguably a tier 1a-2 character just behind the meta).  So getting a cover for him is rarely a bad thing.

But when is it a good enough thing to justify 250cp?  My DD is currently 461 and is my highest level character.  I use him frequently, with thanos for quick pve grinding, and with thorkoye in shield sim (btw, his purple + okoye's black is just devastating.  Can reliably drop a 70k+ 5* from max health to dead with each casting.)

So adding another champ level to him has some value to my team for sure.  But it's also sacrificing 10-14 LT pulls.  Which is 1.5-2x 5* covers, and ~10 4* covers with champ rewards. And it also reduces my ability to mine out other attractive stores (like the recent kitty/JJ store) or supplement my LT pool to cover good new characters like storm or hela.  That is a pretty hefty price tag for a cosmetic improvement (even though I really do like this costume).

In the end, I am not sure that I will enjoy having that costume during the numerous matches where I use DD enough to justify the 'waste' of 250cp, but I will have to think about for the next 12 days or so. 

For anyone with 10+ covers of DD, this is a pretty easy "buy without regret" option (edit: if they can make use of a yellow cover).  It's a great character and (I think) a pretty good cotume.  It might evenake sense for someone with 0 DD covers who does eventually want to cover him and likes the costume.  But for those with half-built DD, and those who have him champed, but don't actually rely on him for their day-to-day grind, the case is a bit closer, and likely only makes sense if the player *really* likes the costume.

How does everyone else feel?

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My DD is 5/2/5. I would have happily paid 300 cp for the costume and a green but it’s not worth it for me for a yellow. 

I like the costume though. 
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    My DD is 5/2/5. I would have happily paid 300 cp for the costume and a green but it’s not worth it for me for a yellow. 

Where is your 4* kp,?   If he is 290+, then you will likely get that green as a feeder cover before too long.  Still, this is an important caveat that I will add to the first post.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How many is "a lot of us," and are you referring to forum users or total game population? 

Maybe i am in the minority, but 50cp just for a costume is not a good idea.  If you want to make people pay for them, keep it to resources you can get easily with actual cash.  Fans get costume they want, game gets money that they want.  Win/win.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    How many is "a lot of us," and are you referring to forum users or total game population? 

Maybe i am in the minority, but 50cp just for a costume is not a good idea.  If you want to make people pay for them, keep it to resources you can get easily with actual cash.  Fans get costume they want, game gets money that they want.  Win/win.
    Obviously don't have hard numbers.  But it seems to me that 50cp is a fairly minimalist cost for most veteran players these days.  It's a bit less than one can earn in a week with even moderate play in cl9.  Yes, it's a premium currency, and some will undoubtedly feel that spending any CP on a cosmetic item is suboptimal and will not do it at any cost.

But I stand by my statement that some signicant portion of veteran players would spend 50cp for a costume that they really liked.  Maybe that's 25% or maybe that's 50%, but I think it's a non trivial amount.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A 250CP Classic HfH gives 1 5* cover and 50,000 ISO-8.

This DD deal cost 300 CP, which gives 1 5* cover, 1 DD costume and 70,000 ISO-8.

So, 50 CP = 20,000 ISO-8 and 1 costume.

5* Costume are pretty much free as proven by Thor, Red Goblin, Dr Ock and Captain Marvel bundles. Exception are Okoye and Cable.

Previously, I noticed that 50CP could be equivalent to 5000HP. If I do a conversion between ISO-8 and HP using Stark Salary ratio, it would be 5000HP / 20000HP * 78,000 ISO-8 = 19,500 ISO-8

This is pretty close to the extra 20,000 ISO-8.

Anyway, the more important question is, is there any new animation for DD?  B)
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,193 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AXP_isme said:

50CP should be for the costume and making the 250CP DD cover that comes with it colorless.  The iso is negligible... I too would have bought it if it was green.  oh well...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How about 500 HP for the costume instead of CP?  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't realize the color had been fixed to Yellow, so my 6/1/1 DD5 is definitely no longer interested. I would consider 50cp a reasonable trade-off for the choice of color, or for a guarantee the color is usable, but I don't like the idea of burning it on the costume.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the moment is less a question of is the costume worth it, than what else do I need the CP for.

I didn't chase Storm in her store as I needed to be able to chase Rescue.  The accelerated schedule is putting a lot CP pressure on me.

Given that Storm will come to Latest 6/24 and will be Essential 10-17 days later (barring a 7 day increasing that number by 3-4 days), I need to make sure I have CP ready to pull her.  (Possibly as early as 7/4/19.)

I do like the costumes but my CP is gone and I'm going to use my gains for Latest pulls.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2019
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    At the moment is less a question of is the costume worth it, than what else do I need the CP for.

I didn't chase Storm in her store as I needed to be able to chase Rescue.  The accelerated schedule is putting a lot CP pressure on me.

Given that Storm will come to Latest 6/24 and will be Essential 10-17 days later (barring a 7 day increasing that number by 3-4 days), I need to make sure I have CP ready to pull her.  (Possibly as early as 7/4/19.)

I do like the costumes but my CP is gone and I'm going to use my gains for Latest pulls.
    Well, we need to see if they are really going to a peament 1:1 5*:4* release schedule.  If so, I would expect them to start slowly ratcheting up the CP supply (and introducing a new trophy/endgame tier of play) this summer/fall, just as they did after switching to 4*s as the primary release tier in May/June 2015.

Tune in two weeks after the next 4* release to find out. . .
  • bluewolf
    Options
    I wish I had people's confidence that they will adjust rewards to reflect an accelerated release schedule for 5's.

I have no conifidence that rewards will be increased.  Full dilution created a very good argument for doing something about rewards.  Switching to 40% 5's 6 months ago created a very good argument.

No change for....about 18 months, except adding lots of riso.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2019
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I wish I had people's confidence that they will adjust rewards to reflect an accelerated release schedule for 5's.

I have no conifidence that rewards will be increased.  Full dilution created a very good argument for doing something about rewards.  Switching to 40% 5's 6 months ago created a very good argument.

Cp will become more available as the 5* release rate increases; it's basically a necessity if they want to retain their player base..  But as with almost everything that is player-friendly in mpq, it will come too slowly for our tastes.

Just look at iso and 4* cover availability after they went to full 4* releases in 2015.  It took ~2 years, during which time they added 4*s to PVE prog, introduced shield ranks and clearance levels, the shield intercepts, champion rewards, 5e nodes,  vaulting, current 12 weighting, CP in ddq, etc, but they eventually reached a point where most vets could more or less keep pace with the 4* release schedule (at least until full dilution made it almost impossible to cover new 4*s).
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My 4/4/4 Daredevil is looking forward to the costume since he can use the cover even though I won't be champing him anytime soon (I'm not ready for 5* leap) and my 4* KP is at 285 and I'd get the 13th cover that way at some point anyway. 

Anyway, back to the 50 CP cost (assuming you need the 5* cover). To me it's only a 50 CP cost if you are planning to spend the 50 CP in a limited store. If instead you were going to spend it on classic / latest tokens then it's not a 50 CP cost. It's just a deferment of opening 2 tokens (since the pulls in those 2 stores are predetermined so it doesn't matter when you do the pulls).

KGB
  • bluewolf
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    bluewolf said:

Cp will become more available as the 5* release rate increases; it's basically a necessity if they want to retain their player base..  But as with almost everything that is player-friendly in mpq, it will come too slowly for our tastes.

Just look at iso and 4* cover availability after they went to full 4* releases in 2015.  It took ~2 years, during which time they added 4*s to PVE prog, introduced shield ranks and clearance levels, the shield intercepts, champion rewards, 5e nodes,  vaulting, current 12 weighting, CP in ddq, etc, but they eventually reached a point where most vets could more or less keep pace with the 4* release schedule (at least until full dilution made it almost impossible to cover new 4*s).
    So you present a very good string of changes they made to tweak rewards and events to make covering 4's a little easier and allow players to feel more like they are keeping up.

Full dilution is a year ago.  They are still asking us in a survey just a couple weeks ago how bothered we are by it.

Of course things don't go as fast as we'd like but there has been no movement on this front (reward tweaks) since September 2017 when SCL9 was added.
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wymtime said:
    How about 500 HP for the costume instead of CP?  

Like the 500 HP I get every 28 days when I renew my VIP for the last three months for the five star Doc Ock costume I already have? Maybe they could have swapped in the Okoye, Thor, Carol or any other alt costume for a five star at any point since? Nah, that's crazy talk...
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    bluewolf said:

Well, we need to see if they are really going to a peament 1:1 5*:4* release schedule.  If so, I would expect them to start slowly ratcheting up the CP supply (and introducing a new trophy/endgame tier of play) this summer/fall, just as they did after switching to 4*s as the primary release tier in May/June 2015.

Tune in two weeks after the next 4* release to find out. . .
    I feel like we have been playing different games for the past two years or so. 

Honestly, where does this confidence in such hypothetical positive change originate? 
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would buy every costume released so far if they would stop bundling it with stuff I’m not interested in and inflating the purchase price. It doesn’t matter to me whether it’s a good deal for the CP/HP/covers/Iso/whatever. I’m not interested in anything except the costumes. 
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,129 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My DD is 2/5/5. As a non- hoarder, I'm doubtful if I can save 300CP in 12 days. I'd rather it was 200 and no costume or ISO!
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A 250CP Classic HfH gives 1 5* cover and 50,000 ISO-8.

This DD deal cost 300 CP, which gives 1 5* cover, 1 DD costume and 70,000 ISO-8.

So, 50 CP = 20,000 ISO-8 and 1 costume.

5* Costume are pretty much free as proven by Thor, Red Goblin, Dr Ock and Captain Marvel bundles. Exception are Okoye and Cable.

Previously, I noticed that 50CP could be equivalent to 5000HP. If I do a conversion between ISO-8 and HP using Stark Salary ratio, it would be 5000HP / 20000HP * 78,000 ISO-8 = 19,500 ISO-8

This is pretty close to the extra 20,000 ISO-8.

Anyway, the more important question is, is there any new animation for DD?  B)
    The problem is that ISO is the only currency that becomes completely useless as you progress in the game.  Since they removed the ability to purchase Standard tokens with ISO there is literally nothing that can be done with it, so that 20k iso is completely ignored. 

KGB said:
    My 4/4/4 Daredevil is looking forward to the costume since he can use the cover even though I won't be champing him anytime soon (I'm not ready for 5* leap) and my 4* KP is at 285 and I'd get the 13th cover that way at some point anyway. 

Anyway, back to the 50 CP cost (assuming you need the 5* cover). To me it's only a 50 CP cost if you are planning to spend the 50 CP in a limited store. If instead you were going to spend it on classic / latest tokens then it's not a 50 CP cost. It's just a deferment of opening 2 tokens (since the pulls in those 2 stores are predetermined so it doesn't matter when you do the pulls).

KGB
    That deferment can determine whether or not you finish a character, your argument makes no sense.  You're basically saying currency doesn't matter until you run out of it (and spending 50cp helps you run out of currency sooner).