Diversity in MPQ and Comics - Split thread

13»

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jormagund said:
    marshall said:
    Thanks, I did not know that she was an ex-pat.  The more you know :)
    The game/mcu version of Peggy Carter is a Brit.  Kitty and Nightcrawler are honorary since they were in Excalibur ;).   
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jormagund said:
    marshall said:
    Thanks, I did not know that she was an ex-pat.  The more you know :)
    The game/mcu version of Peggy Carter is a Brit.  Kitty and Nightcrawler are honorary since they were in Excalibur ;).   
    They were illegal aliens!!! Should have been deported! ;)
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Of all the stories happening right now in the comics universe, Agents of Atlas may be one of the best, and the new character that they added, Wave, may be one of my new favs, she is a Filipino (Philippine?) snarky aqualad type, with a bit of Thor's attitude, and they are writing compelling stories for her. 

Edit: When she gets to MPQ, she had better be a 5*!
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    I read this entire thread (mostly)... And I couldn't help but wonder...

You think the art department would put in extra effort to lighten her skin tone?  Heh... Come on now, we all know they don't wanna put THAT much time in.  ;) If it's not a palette swap, with some different clothing choices, it's too much work!  

That said, and all joking aside, I actually like the effect of her having another hair style... Cyclops should've never changed hairstyles however.  :)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    You think the art department would put in extra effort to lighten her skin tone?  Heh... Come on now, we all know they don't wanna put THAT much time in.  ;) If it's not a palette swap, with some different clothing choices, it's too much work!  

I'm sure you're being facetious, but Image->Adjustment->Brightness/Contrast, then drag that slider where you want it takes a fraction of a second, it's less effort than a "palette swap."
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod said:

I'm sure you're being facetious, but Image->Adjustment->Brightness/Contrast, then drag that slider where you want it takes a fraction of a second, it's less effort than a "palette swap."
    See, and that's why I'm not a graphic artist!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2019
    Whether or not you like the final result, I can assure you these character digital paintings are not effortless lol. Particularly once they need animations beyond basic scales, rotations, or translations. I have to say, I was expecting the quality and/or complexity of those to fall off a cliff once the ability to turn animations off happened, but mostly they are all pretty consistent. I think Chavez was the first character released after that went live, and everyone who's come out subsequent has been good. 

That's the thing about art - everybody can see it and opine about it, and often critique is very binary (love it/that sucks). Code just kind of either works or it doesn't, so well implemented code is un-noticed. You can spend 10s of hours implementing a character perfectly to spec, looking at Fi5k here, and if you just don't like the art style "that sucks!"

• PiMacleod
    ...I'm still gonna make bad jokes when I can.  Can't always hit the bullseye, but I can always try.

After all, why else would he wear that on his forehead if it wasn't for us to consistently try to hit it?

...side note, TheRoadWarrior...
    Are you a graphic artist by chance?  You mention these things in a state of respect for what they've done.  This tells me that there's a chance that you might have a hobby in graphical art, or it's what you do.  Just curious.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2019
    I run a game studio (not D3 or Demi)
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof said:
    Of all the stories happening right now in the comics universe, Agents of Atlas may be one of the best, and the new character that they added, Wave, may be one of my new favs, she is a Filipino (Philippine?) snarky aqualad type, with a bit of Thor's attitude, and they are writing compelling stories for her. 

Edit: When she gets to MPQ, she had better be a 5*!
    Filipina.