Diversity in MPQ and Comics - Split thread

System
System Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: All-New Cos-June Collection! *Updated (6/10/19).

Comments

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    Can we get any comment on why they whitewashed Riri in her costume?  That's not bleaching cream; that's some art department tinykitty. 

those little things add up to a lot of bigger issues about race and depiction of marketable images. If Black Panther taught The Media anything is awareness that the paradigm of what is broadly appealing has shifted. It doesn't need to look like what may be in the mirror. A hero from an African nation should not be lightened to appeal to Americans. This type of subtle erasing of black images can also cause harm to vulnerable populations like bleaching cream and hair "treatment". Knock it off art department - you are the shining stars of the dev team and this type of shenanigans is disgraceful

EDIT: yep put the wrong name down....but if you knew who I was referencing and you still felt the need to throw out the rest is a lame-o logical fallacy. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    purplemur said:
    Can we get any comment on why they whitewashed Riri in her costume?  
    Did you mean Shuri? Riri is always in her Iron suit except on the character selection screen.

There is an extremely caustic "joke" playing on racism that my rare, benighted filter is filtering for me (thank the goddess)...

But, @purplemur, while I agree with the larger theme of your lecture -- when giving a lecture on race you just have to get the factual details right...
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:
    Can we get any comment on why they whitewashed Riri in her costume?  That's not bleaching cream; that's some art department tinykitty. 

those little things add up to a lot of bigger issues about race and depiction of marketable images. If Black Panther taught The Media anything is awareness that the paradigm of what is broadly appealing has shifted. It doesn't need to look like what may be in the mirror. A hero from an African nation should not be lightened to appeal to Americans. This type of subtle erasing of black images can also cause harm to vulnerable populations like bleaching cream and hair "treatment". Knock it off art department - you are the shining stars of the dev team and this type of shenanigans is disgraceful
    It's the same skin tone. And by the way "white" people aren't white so wouldnt the term whitewashed in this context be racist?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the basic skin color for Shuri in both costumes is the same.  But putting lighter color clothes on her makes it look lighter as well as changing the headress for hair.  I don't know how much her face is supposed to be showing a light source from her energy gauntlets which could be making her look lighter.  But maybe nothing changed except literally her clothing and the contrast looks a lot different to the eye.

Back on the topic of the Daredevil costume....I am curious how enticing 70K Iso is to someone that would spend 300 CP on a cover and costume....(not at all to me; I could do it but have no interest in trading 12 Latest pulls for one cover).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    I guess they got the idea from this scene where Black Panther arrived in Wakanda or the one where Shuri pointed middle finger at Black Panther. Shuri was wearing this particular outfit/costume shown in the post and the sun ray was shining at her, thus, showing her skin to be lighter than usual.

Just go to YouTube and search for Black Panther Wakanda Arrival scene.

Probably the artist overdid with the "brightness".
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:

They look the same on my iPhone. I hadn’t noticed so I went to look again and the only possible minuscule difference in tone I could even consider was just due to the face painting being removed and that opens the highlights that were already in place. In any case she certainly doesn’t look “whitewashed”. That said, her original costume is much more appealing to me than this casual Friday look.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Yepyep said:
    OJSP said:
    purplemur said:
    Can we get any comment on why they whitewashed Riri in her costume?  
    Did you mean Shuri? Riri is always in her Iron suit except on the character selection screen.

There is an extremely caustic "joke" playing on racism that my rare, benighted filter is filtering for me (thank the goddess)...

But, @purplemur, while I agree with the larger theme of your lecture -- when giving a lecture on race you just have to get the factual details right...
    <edit from @Borstock comment>

Fact, there's 4.5 Asians in the entire playable roster.   

Chulk
    Jubilation
    Nico 
    Kamala
    Psylocke (she's the half, the whole body switching yadda yadda... they're even turned her back to a white Brit in comics)

4.5 out of 188... 

Thinking a white costume whitewashes a character... I'll leave it at that....
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nico is Asian, too. Doesn't make a huge difference to your point, though.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Nico is Asian, too. Doesn't make a huge difference to your point, though.
    My bad, I know on the TV show she's Asian, but I guess I haven't read enough of the comics.  Thanks for clarifying.  
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Whitewashing is a term look it up- there is no reverse racism in the term. just stop. I am NOT talking about changing the color of her clothes. to insinuate that above @ waddles is an unnecessary and pointedly weak gotcha.
    It describes a situation in which the skin tone of non-white people – when depicted in magazine covers, advertisements, commercials, music videos, etc. – is, digitally retouched or physically modified to appear whiter. ... Whitewashing has been seen for centuries in the media, through film, photography, advertising, etc.

It may be subjective- I used the PITR test (people in the room) and some did say they couldn't be sure but mostly people on first look noticed.

Really, though. ya'll rushed to shout it down so fast......wonder why? those players took a defensive stance against  are rushing to cry fake news about it. Or attacking me for bringing it up. 
    it reflects yourselves - rather poorly

racist depictions in video games is real. whitewashing comic book heroes has a history to it. This forum shushing down any discussion of race or gender issues continues.....

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Who is rushing to shut it down? I don’t happen to agree that they whitewashed her, or that they have some agenda as far as race is concerned. However, I was simply saying it wasn’t a visible difference on my device. 

You can have a discussion about something all you like, it isn’t being shut down because others don’t share your views. That’s the whole point of a discussion isn’t it?

I would agree that representation for minorities is low, but based on the pool they have to pull from I’m not sure what they might do about it.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi, Waiting on a response, but i think the diversity statements/complaints should be moved to a different thread.. I think having this conversation in a thread about costumes may be the absolute wrong place for it.  Please stay on topic, when the new thread is ready, you will have a chance to speak on it. 

Thanks all. 
  • Yepyep
    purplemur said:
    Really, though. ya'll rushed to shout it down so fast......wonder why? those players took a defensive stance against  are rushing to cry fake news about it. Or attacking me for bringing it up. 
    it reflects yourselves - rather poorly

racist depictions in video games is real. whitewashing comic book heroes has a history to it. This forum shushing down any discussion of race or gender issues continues.....

Re point 1, above, a "shout down:" In reality, I think people mostly just disagreed with you -- that is, to their eyes it didn't look like anything had changed other than, perhaps, the overall color-use context of the art having changed. Comments were measured, politic, and pretty numerous given your premise (namely, that invidious racism was at hand in the game).

Re point 2, above, racism in video games and comics: like I said in my earlier comment (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/881431#Comment_881431), I agree with your overall theme. Which I read to be that there are historical injustices -- like racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. -- built into comics and games that we should oppose and call out when we see it. If this is what you meant, then I agree with you and I bet MANY others here also do.

But it is perfectly legitimate to agree with your theme and disagree that this is clear evidence of racism. It might just be too subtle for a consensus opinion to arise...
  • Yepyep
    Malcrof said:
    Hi, Waiting on a response, but i think the diversity statements/complaints should be moved to a different thread.. I think having this conversation in a thread about costumes may be the absolute wrong place for it.  Please stay on topic, when the new thread is ready, you will have a chance to speak on it. 

Thanks all. 
    Thanks for doing this, @Malcrof -- this is an extremely important subject (especially during June's Pride celebrations!). It would be a shame for it to get lost in a less weighty thread.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just checked on my Android tablet, and the skin tones look the same to me.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:
    Whitewashing is a term look it up- there is no reverse racism in the term. just stop. I am NOT talking about changing the color of her clothes. to insinuate that above @ waddles is an unnecessary and pointedly weak gotcha.
    It describes a situation in which the skin tone of non-white people – when depicted in magazine covers, advertisements, commercials, music videos, etc. – is, digitally retouched or physically modified to appear whiter. ... Whitewashing has been seen for centuries in the media, through film, photography, advertising, etc.

Thanks for posting this definition. It seems like it was needed!