Can we get Heroic's back?

fnedude
fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
I'm a player that's on day 2000+ and, well, PVE is getting boring with the same teams.

I'm in 5* land, so my go-to team in PVE is either 1/2Thor+5GR vs. villians, or 5Strange+1/2Thor vs minions.  Add America  in the mix if I have the spot.

I've been using these teams for months, because if I want to be competitive , they are the best for me.

So with that as a background, can we get Heroic's back that EXCLUDE the use of 5*s, but are non-competitive (no T100 wins).  Have this scheduled say 1x every "off-season".  Make the normal 5* essential node another 4* essential node.  My suggestions for this node though would make it a 4* hero that complements the normally scheduled 4* essential.   And when I say "complement", I mean between the two 4* essentials, they have all 6 colors covered.  If 4* essential is IW (Y+G+U) the other one is 4*Elektra (B+R+P).

Give some extra rewards for those that want to get 95% of the points (say an extra 4* cover after the 25CP reward).

My request is to give a change up to PVE to make it non-competitive for 1 event.  Like off-season is for PVP.

Comments

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
    I should also add, if I have a high enough 5*, that might replace my go-to 5*.

But it's still getting soo repeatative/monatonous.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    LOL. This has been asked many times and the answer is simple. 

No. We will not see Heroics with limited rosters probably ever again.  We will see Gauntlet first (that has been gone for almost 2 years now). 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2019
    I still have some saved tokens from the last time or two that the heroics were run. At some point I need to accept the reality that they’re not coming back and move on with my life. 

That day will not be today!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heroics served one big purpose when they launched:  Encourage you to absolutely roster and champ everyone.

Eventually big rosters loved them for locking out 5's since their scaling was insane and oppressive.

Eventually, eventually, an event where you were limited in who you could use became way too punitive on new rosters where full dilution makes it very likely some or most of those 5 required characters would be a bunch of undercovered worthless characters.  Or even require characters you haven't even rostered yet because there are 187 characters....

And of course, SCL's took care of the roster scaling issues.

The idea of side Heroics is appealing.  Maybe the MCU battle event could be a model for something like this in the future.  I really think making them available on a regular basis serves the purpose of a mini-Gauntlet, would help with dilution a bit, and you can play them with whatever teams you want.

Finally:  I know that top players feel they absolutely need to play every event as efficiently and at the top level as possible in order to receive "maximum" rewards, but the fact is that you ALWAYS have the option of playing down an event (or playing more causal) and running your slower teams if you choose.  That's one of the main benefits of the SCL being selectable for each event.  The fact that it's controlled by the player is/was a major QOL improvement.  If you did, say, casually play SCL7 for one event, you'd probably be missing a 4 (or 2 or 3) in placement and maybe an LT or 2 if you are usually placing T5 (T10 ally).  Doing that once every 4-6 weeks won't make any significant difference in your overall roster progress.  What would you miss, maybe one 5* cover for a mediocre character?  Or need to hoard for 3-4 more days?

Just something to think about.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    To answer the PM's publicly, this, like the gauntlet thread, are not suggestions, but asks and discussions, no-one is asking for something new or a change to the game, just a talk about old events that players would like to see again. This will remain in General unless the OP wants it in suggestions for the devs.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    They could always put the Heroic events back in without the limited roster feature.  I feel fairly sure this is something they could do.  At that point it would give us more PVE variety in the rotation.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    While I wouldn't mind seeing Heroics back with full roster available, just for the change of scenery, if it was restricted with no 5*s available, chances are I wouldn't play them - I wouldn't want to take the extra time. 
    As a non-competitive pve player, I have the opportunity use whatever characters I want, and generally I don't, as it takes longer than Thanos/Gritty/Grocket & 5tarlord or Thorkoye with Chavez.
    Id maybe play some, run out of time and abandon mid progression. 
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't mind them if they did it as a non-competitive progression only thing. Make it a play at your leisure type thing, then you can restrict the roster all you want, and we can use it as a playground to test teams or kill time!
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof said:
    I wouldn't mind them if they did it as a non-competitive progression only thing. Make it a play at your leisure type thing, then you can restrict the roster all you want, and we can use it as a playground to test teams or kill time!
    This. Take heroics/the gauntlet and make them non-competitive events. make them one clear to play through and put them in the prologue tab. have them remain up for two weeks to a month. bring back all the restrictions and mirror match character blocks. make it a decent challenge or tailor it so each node has a specific team that best counters it.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    For all people who want Heroics back.  Do you honestly like doing the yellow Join forces node and how does that node feel to you compared to the Hard 3 node?

Simply put, the mandatory team node is EXACTLY how playing Heroics felt.  Your stuck using an under capped team that has poor synergy and is a ridiculously slow play.

The only thing thing Heroics events do at this stage of the games development is give free placement prizes to players with wide and deep rosters that can power through the event's inefficiencies.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade said:
    For all people who want Heroics back.  Do you honestly like doing the yellow Join forces node and how does that node feel to you compared to the Hard 3 node?

Simply put, the mandatory team node is EXACTLY how playing Heroics felt.  Your stuck using an under capped team that has poor synergy and is a ridiculously slow play.

The only thing thing Heroics events do at this stage of the games development is give free placement prizes to players with wide and deep rosters that can power through the event's inefficiencies.
    Yes, I do want them back, with limited rosters and no mirror matches. I enjoy some challenges among the way and don't play by the clock.
    They always forced me to try new characters and combinations, and be mindful of my health packs. Things that stimulate my brain more than the standard grind.
    I will admit that when I was very new to the game my roster just couldn't handle them and they were a major struggle.  Over time as my roster developed they went more smoothly for me.  I'm sure i wasn't the only one that struggled, they saw the number of players drop when they ran them, and so why would they bring them back? 
  • Phumade
    edited June 2019
    Phumade said:

Yes, I do want them back, with limited rosters and no mirror matches. I enjoy some challenges among the way and don't play by the clock.

Why not just have more modes like April May contest.  Since you don’t play by clock, i assume you want partication/ prog prizes.  Which is fine, comp players will get those rewards as well.

but the bottom line is why make all players suffer through  45m of boring tedious play, when you could just make a high point  score mode and let people play at their own pace?

the match where the guy scored 200 points probably took 5min to play. (Granted their was probably at least 50+ tries).

so big rosters can do their score in 10m and be done. Smaller rosters can play and strategize for better strategy etc. play as long as you want.

even better players can come back at their convienace to try for another pass.
    as FYI. A badly synergies join forces node is slower to win than the avg 4e node.  

Bottomline im not in favor of modes that are slower to play and complete than existing pve pvp events.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I'm saying I'd like them to be run again to break up the current events and bring something different. I wouldn't want them any more often than the other events in the rotation.  I would also like fight for wakanda back.  And the gauntlet.  And the 7 day events.  Just more variety.
    I also don't find it boring and tedious to have to come up with new teams and strategies, even if it takes longer to complete the nodes, I find it the opposite actually.
    Doing the same 35-45 minute grind every day when I'm feeling up to it is way more boring and tedious for me.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Phumade said:
    Phumade said:

Why not just have more modes like April May contest.  Since you don’t play by clock, i assume you want partication/ prog prizes.  Which is fine, comp players will get those rewards as well.

but the bottom line is why make all players suffer through  45m of boring tedious play, when you could just make a high point  score mode and let people play at their own pace?

the match where the guy scored 200 points probably took 5min to play. (Granted their was probably at least 50+ tries).

so big rosters can do their score in 10m and be done. Smaller rosters can play and strategize for better strategy etc. play as long as you want.

even better players can come back at their convienace to try for another pass.
    as FYI. A badly synergies join forces node is slower to win than the avg 4e node.  

Bottomline im not in favor of modes that are slower to play and complete than existing pve pvp events.
    Which is a shame. 

Back when my roster was progressing, I loved measuring it against challenges like the gauntlet and heroics. It was great seeing my ability to get further each time reflecting the hard work I put into this game. Now anything that is remotely challenging is removed. I’d argue that crash is the only thing we have left to measure our roster strength (maybe shield training?). But neither mode involves having to put thought into team composition; just having enough covers. It’s like people complain if they have to put thought into the game, can’t get every prize, have to take a bit longer, or can’t play on autopilot. 

I wish the developers catered to both crowds. 

Also people who feel the time isn’t worth the rewards can skip. We don’t have to play every event. I imagine the tougher events do draw lower numbers from those that don’t like a challenge. And that’s fine. But I hope the developers recognize that while vets will play the mindless slog events over and over again (we play everything), thus keeping the numbers for those events up; we are also the ones who just up and leave due to mindless repetition driving us to burnout. So if you are wondering why your OVERALL numbers are dropping, you have to look at the bigger picture. Free the gauntlet. Free heroics. Free Wakanda. 
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    Phumade said:

And what is wrong with that? It may suck playing a mode where you can't get all the rewards or it simply beats you down. However it is also a great moral booster for when you are able to compete and get those rewards because you've worked hard to improve yourself thru your game play.

Beating Guantlet for the first time for a huge moment for me. Likewise when a heroic rolled around and I actually had developed my roster to be competitive despite the restrictions. 

I kinda get Heroics being removed because of dilution. Maybe they could balance it out by having all 3* available and 20ish fours available to use. There is no excuse for gauntlet IMO since you can use your entire roster. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some of the vets, or should I say most in this forum already have trouble handling newer 4* being required in shield training, missing some nodes due to not hitting 10 covers. Now, recall those emotions expressed by them towards the dev, and take those feelings, multiply it by 80% of the total playerbase. Then you will know why certain events are unlikely to be brought back.
  • Phumade
    Some of the vets, or should I say most in this forum already have trouble handling newer 4* being required in shield training, missing some nodes due to not hitting 10 covers. Now, recall those emotions expressed by them towards the dev, and take those feelings, multiply it by 80% of the total playerbase. Then you will know why certain events are unlikely to be brought back.
    For once I actually agree.  It the lack of perspective of from some forum posters on how all tiers play that baffles me?  With 1/2 of the entire 4* tier maxchamped.  Heroics are a trivial participation award.  That’s why I know it’s entirely meaningless to Whine about heroics wakanda day blah blah blah.

whatever “cleverness” you see in your play could just as easily be applied to current events vs slower heroics.  Move forward with events that incorporate the best ideas not rehash old events in an attempt to relive high school days.hahaha

From a selfish POV.  I would welcome heroics and wakanda. Etc.  they all play to my rosters strength.   But I don’t wish that because I know first hand how tedious those events actually play.

but I’m just a little roster in the big scheme.  Maybe the real vets think differently.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    For once I actually agree.  It the lack of perspective of from some forum posters on how all tiers play that baffles me?  With 1/2 of the entire 4* tier maxchamped.  Heroics are a trivial participation award.  That’s why I know it’s entirely meaningless to Whine about heroics wakanda day blah blah blah.

whatever “cleverness” you see in your play could just as easily be applied to current events vs slower heroics.  Move forward with events that incorporate the best ideas not rehash old events in an attempt to relive high school days.hahaha

From a selfish POV.  I would welcome heroics and wakanda. Etc.  they all play to my rosters strength.   But I don’t wish that because I know first hand how tedious those events actually play.

but I’m just a little roster in the big scheme.  Maybe the real vets think differently.
    Of course he thinks he should be finishing Top 10 in PvE with a 4* roster and complains when 5* players do whatever they like as if playing "competitively" means anything, so yeah, 80% of the player base might suck but they at least get a good laugh in exchange.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Phumade said:

Of course he thinks he should be finishing Top 10 in PvE with a 4* roster and complains when 5* players do whatever they like as if playing "competitively" means anything, so yeah, 80% of the player base might suck but they at least get a good laugh in exchange.
    Is it really competition if 5* rosters drop down several scl just to spread out the wins for 5* rosters in big alliance families? Versus mode forces you to play vs your peers, why can't story mode do the same?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Phumade said:

Is it really competition if 5* rosters drop down several scl just to spread out the wins for 5* rosters in big alliance families? Versus mode forces you to play vs your peers, why can't story mode do the same?
    No idea mate, my Alliance is a tiny one. However our friend Hound is fond of slagging off players who in his estimation Don't the play enough but unless he has discovered some amazing secret nobody else knows about to compete with 5* rosters how is he getting top 10 finishes? It can only be by sniping for slacker brackets where he isn't doing anything particularly amazing that the rest of the player base he holds in such poor contempt couldn't do either. So he isn't really any different to the 5* players and Vets he holds in such contempt!

I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Back on topic - it is a tad arrogant to declare what 80% of the player base would or wouldn't do, no? Maybe he has some survey data or something?