I "won" MPQ...what do I do now?

2»

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    New goal needed! Champ somebody else...like Talk
    I thought "Talk" was a typo for "Task" as in Taskmaster, who will only be available at Anniversary, according to our last communication about him.  Champing him will take a while, depending on where yours is now.

If you want a REALLY impossible goal, keep playing until you earn 5 costumes from in-game achievements.

Or you champ Spider-Ham, whose covers are now tied to the end of every third MCU phase?  Maybe?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    I thought "Talk" was a typo for "Task" as in Taskmaster, who will only be available at Anniversary, according to our last communication about him.  Champing him will take a while, depending on where yours is now.

If you want a REALLY impossible goal, keep playing until you earn 5 costumes from in-game achievements.

Or you champ Spider-Ham, whose covers are now tied to the end of every third MCU phase?  Maybe?
    Nah, not a typo.

My Taskmaster is 2/1/1 so he has a way to go. I'm hoping that he will be much more available instead of Devil Dinosaur come next Anniversary but who knows. Both my DD and Howard can be champed but I haven't got round to it. My Spider-Ham is actually better covered at 1/2/3.
  • DAZ0273
    Ha! I just saw the 4* boost list that starts today - looks like I picked the perfect time to "win" MPQ!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    What?!  You posted a poll without an "I choose to not answer this question," answer?   I call shenanigans.  Shenanigans I say!

Okay, for reals, your new goal should be to become MVP of the concepts subforum, get the devs to implement one of your character, then champ them.   My attempt for Black Cat has thus far been unsuccessful.  
  • DAZ0273
    What?!  You posted a poll without an "I choose to not answer this question," answer?   I call shenanigans.  Shenanigans I say!

Okay, for reals, your new goal should be to become MVP of the concepts subforum, get the devs to implement one of your character, then champ them.   My attempt for Black Cat has thus far been unsuccessful.  
    Well my favourite character is Razorback, so I suspect I may fail more than you...second is Captain Britain, not holding my breath...
  • bluewolf
    DAZ0273 said:

Well my favourite character is Razorback, so I suspect I may fail more than you...second is Captain Britain, not holding my breath...
    I can be part of the “Add Captain Britain” movement. He’s near the top of my own list. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    Snip:

Captain Britain, not holding my breath...
    I can be part of the “Add Captain Britain” movement. He’s near the top of my own list. 
    So let’s plot a course here (I don’t know or care much about Captain Britain but let’s try anyway). 

I reckon you you have three options:
    1) try and get CB into the MCU
    2) get a new run of CBs pushed by Marvel
    3) build enough support on the forums to get the character added

Given that CB won’t command the levels of support of a gambit or kitty and that the forum really only represents a small part of the player base then option three seems quite tricky. You might be better with options 1 or 2. Both of those would require exercising a large amount of control over the creative process at Disney/Marvel but that’s where you’re in luck. Disney is a publicly traded company so all you need to do is build up a sizeable stake in Disney and start agitating for more creative input unless they want you to start voting against them at their governance meetings. Once you’ve done that you can start down the path of commissioning a CB MCU film and hey presto you’ll force CB in to the game. Now it looks like there isn’t one big controlling interest in Disney and that the shares are spread around between institutions, mutual funds and individuals. From the look of the publicly declared stockholders you could wield a fair bit of influence with as little as 2% of the company which, at today’s prices, would set you back $3-3.5 billion. It will probably start triggering alarm bells, not to mention pushing up the price, of you start buying millions of shares without warning so you will need to do it gradually. 

So assuming you don’t have that kind of money lying around you would need to find a way to get it. You could try robbing a bitcoin exchange or getting your hands on the fed’s gold reserves but that would probably be both tricky and a touch illegal. Let’s assume you want to do this legitimately so you would need to come up with a killer idea for a start up. It’ll take a few years to build, let’s call it seven so there’s time to find a buyer and get the money out. Now you need to spend a while, a year or so, building your stake in Disney. You might be able to do this while you’re still building your start-up so let’s assume it’s still 7 years down the line. Next you need to make yourself a pain for Disney so they start giving you what you want. That probably takes at least one annual cycle so let’s say you get some content control in two years. Now you need to get writers, funding, actors etc for a CB film and it needs to be fitted in to that phase of the MCU, let’s imagine that it’s a 4 year process. So within 13 years you could get CB in to the game. 

Sounds pretty simple, right? Better get cracking. 
  • DAZ0273
    Well there have been rumours (from a source from Pinewood Studios) that Marvel were in discussions over some sort of Captain Britain project for film or TV since 2017. However rumours don't translate into MPQ characters.

There are other options though.

1.) A Director who is a big Captain Britain fan approaches Marvel. This isn't as far fetched as you might think - James Gunn is largely responsible for the prominence of Rocket Raccoon in that film because he absolutely loves him and there was no way he was going to let him not be a big part. RR is completely on the same level of relative obscurity as Captain Britain to the general public. Ditto Gamora, Drax, Star-Lord and the tree.
    2.) Superheroes are still a hot property - we have shows around Cloak & Dagger and The Doom Patrol - these guys aren't even D-Listers.
    3.) Marvel Comics launches an event that features Captain Britain prominently.
    4.) There is a real world event that ties in thematically. We got Lockjaw for International Dog Day! Maybe if the Queen ever retires...
    5.) The MCU decides to do an Excalibur based film as part of an X-Men spin-off. Not a totally outrageous idea or beyond the possibilities of reality.

We have America Chavez, Kate Bishop, Wiccan, Nico Minoru just to name a few who are several tiers below Captain Britain in terms of iconic nature and marketable potential and all of those made it in game.
  • bluewolf
    edited May 2019
    I will avoid spoilers, but there is a line in Endgame which might be intended to lay the groundwork for Captain Britain appearing...eventually.

http://collider.com/avengers-endgame-captain-britain-mcu/

So who knows?

Also, after Spidey, it will be 10 months under the current schedule before another MCU film, and approx 4 months until Disney+ and its attendant tie-ins.  Plenty of time to add a player-requested character or two...or three...

It's been a while since we got one of those "who do you want to see" polls.  Next time....everyone say Captain Britain!