Give everyone BSZ or remove it

Options
2»

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TomB said:
    I don't expect them to give BSZ away, but I'd sure like it if it showed up in the vault for cash... ;)
    The day they start offering masterpieces for cash is the day I stop playing this game.  I hate pay-to-win games so much.  I understand the need for some cash purchases and exclusive cards, but when you can get the best cards in the game without needing to put in any effort, why bother playing at all?
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    TomB said:
    I don't expect them to give BSZ away, but I'd sure like it if it showed up in the vault for cash... ;)
    The day they start offering masterpieces for cash is the day I stop playing this game.  I hate pay-to-win games so much.  I understand the need for some cash purchases and exclusive cards, but when you can get the best cards in the game without needing to put in any effort, why bother playing at all?

Pay to win does not apply to this game. It not a true pvp. Take the game as Tetris with enhanced visuals.
    If selling bsz for cash will give them enough income to fix this turd, so be it.
  • Disgruntled_Catgirl
    Disgruntled_Catgirl Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Being a card game enthusiast, it's of my opinion that if you look at a meta, and more than 50% of the deck is of the same archetype, or is running the same card as its central strategy, then something is very wrong with the game. It doesn't matter if the archetype or strategy is necessarily the best in terms of win rate or placement; if you see it more than half the time, it's dominating the meta, and there's always a reason for it: maybe it's easy to pilot, or annoying to play against, or it's just that good.

And what I see after obtaining platinum mastery in every color is blue. And endless ocean of blue. It doesn't matter what color the node is; more than half the time, the opponent's PW mixes blue. And the strategy in standard always revolves around Blue Sun's Zenith or, more rarely, Neru Meha. In legacy, you can also add Omniscience. Call my a hypocrite if you want, but I'm one of these people who use a Blue PW just so I can import these strategy to as many nodes as I possibly can. Because it wins.

And I hate it. The deck is not interactive at all. It doesn't matter what my opponent plays. I fish for my combo pieces and win, sometimes as early as the very first turn. I don't even know what my opponent is playing beyond their PW. And this is a problem, both for people who lose to the deck, and for people who play it; because now I don't play Ral or Kiora because of their ability or flavor, I play them because they're blue, and my game plan revolves around how to optimize this singular blue strategy.

And it makes the whole game pointless. I don't need to buy new PW because they won't do better than my blue PWs. I don't care about drawing new Mythic or even Masterpieces because they won't do better than BSZ or other blue power cards. I don't care about stage gimmicks because I win before it becomes relevant, provided my opponent doesn't assemble the same strategy and defeat me first. I don't want new PW or card, I don't need shards or crystal, so what's the point of the game?

To have fun, of course. The thing is, this is not fun. It's hardly a game. Repeating the same actions over and over again is not a game. It's work. It's fun tax you paid to have better rewards, except the rewards are now pointless. I know some people play the game just to crush their opponent as hard as possible, so they'll shout at any attempt to take away their I win button and accuse me of being a whiner, but this takes the fun away from anyone who just wants to play their Nahiri deck again.

But no, the dev team has to pander to the vocal minority of real whiners, and nerf Liliana 1 or Jaya who are not top tier PW in any environment, instead of doing anything to our resident Villain Sue Nicky Bollacks, who let you play the same strategy in 3 different colors on top of one of the most powerful 1st ability of any PW. And for what? Do the play-to-win whiners bring in more players? Do they pay more to play the game then the rest of the P2P players? Or are they just somehow privileged?

Well, I'm done. This reminds me too much of Mirrordin, where there are 3 winning archetypes lock in a rock-paper-scissors and the most powerful deck is basically an algorithm that runs itself, except this is worse, because there's only 1 or maybe 2 archetypes here and the game is more like who draws first which is simpler than rock-paper-scissors, and the dev team does nothing about it because instead of complaining about the imbalance like MtG players people complain about losing their dominance.

So, have fun playing the same deck to crush each other on turn one over and over again; I'm going to go playing something that's actually fun and interactive and free of whiners. Uno sounds nice.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know that feeling.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Options

Uno is really cool! I play it with my 5 and 3 year olds. But beware.... there are also blue numbers in uno ;-)

On topic: This topic is already heavily discussed in another thread and you are absolutely correct. I normally don't play Trial of the Planes, but once in a blue (no phun intented) moon I have some time for it. Yesterday, when I had to wait for about 45 minutes, I played TotP: blue. It felt like a race who has his first combo pieces together. > 50% I was facing Brokhan with the same shell over and over again. I felt a bit sorry for my Dovin Baan, even though I had a 100% win rate.

• bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't know if I'm the whiner here but I'll tell again what I've said before: (btw, as of yesterday, I didn't have BSZ and was doing pretty ok without it. I'm >95% in coalition events)  

I respect what you said, and yes that card is very strong but ultimately, you choose to play it or not.  You can have fun and win without BSZ.  Oh you might lose some though, isn't that the fun of it?  Having a close game?  I'm surely not the best deck builder neither a genius so if I could do it most people can, I'm pretty sure.  

I love playing Nissa 4 token deck because I find it fun or Koth with Etali stealing stuff from the opponent. My favorite PW prolly be NB2, denying draw to opponent and completely shutting him up.All those are fun!  But now, I very pleased to have an option to play faster.  You know, I sometimes don't have much time and I'd wish to get progression rewards faster.

Stop caging yourself, be creative and just have fun! :)  Who forces you not to do it?
  • bobby_2613
    edited May 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    I respect what you said, and yes that card is very strong but ultimately, you choose to play it or not.  You can have fun and win without BSZ.  Oh you might lose some though, isn't that the fun of it?

Stop caging yourself, be creative and just have fun! :)  Who forces you not to do it?
    The idea that casual play is inherently fun and competitive play is inherently dull is not one that paper MTG is based on at all. Cards are balanced so as to keep both communities happy. Embracing both casual and competitive play creates a wider customer base for the game.
    Who said I was casual?  ;)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Merged same topics together
  • bobby_2613
    Options
    starfall said:
    starfall said:
    I respect what you said, and yes that card is very strong but ultimately, you choose to play it or not.  You can have fun and win without BSZ.  Oh you might lose some though, isn't that the fun of it?

The idea that casual play is inherently fun and competitive play is inherently dull is not one that paper MTG is based on at all. Cards are balanced so as to keep both communities happy. Embracing both casual and competitive play creates a wider customer base for the game.
    Who said I was casual?  ;)
    Well you did say,

Oh you might lose some though, isn't that the fun of it?
    So you're playing with a deck which is worse than you know it's possible to build, which is not a sentiment I hear expressed by, say, top MTG players competing on the Pro Tour.
    Oh  :o lol...  Sorry, those 2 sentences were meant to be together... 
    "isn't that the fun of it?  Having a close game? "  :D

I'm French speaking so sometimes I make some errors writing... 

Anyways...  I don't think any match-3 games should take 30 minutes to win. (And I had some of those)  But I get your point,
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I read a thread on Reddit the other day about an unlucky fellow who spent over $50 on pink crystals trying to get BSZ. I don't expect it to get nerfed as long as people are willing to pay cash to get it.
  • EvilDead
    EvilDead Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Let us use BSZ versus PvE events.

For PvP events, just like paper Magic start having a list of banned and/or excluded cards from the event. It's very helpful for some PvE bosses etc. In PvP it's just too overpowered and it's a coin flip if you have it and the opponent has it. Who casts it first seems to be the most likely winner.

QuasiNaru needs to be addressed as well. 

Gisa and Geralf with Glorious Rebirth putting cards on the board that were not in the GY when Rebirth was cast needs to be addressed as well.

Omniscience with Whir needs to be addressed as well.

The fixing required to eliminate all the issues that cause long casting loops is too tall a task for the devs.

Banned list of cards for Standard and Legacy PvP events seems like the best solution imo.

I didn't read all the responses but that's my 2 cents.
  • EnochRoot
    EnochRoot Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    EvilDead said:
    For PvP events, just like paper Magic start having a list of banned and/or excluded cards from the event. It's very helpful for some PvE bosses etc. In PvP it's just too overpowered and it's a coin flip if you have it and the opponent has it. Who casts it first seems to be the most likely winner.

As long as we get some more deck slots, please.