**** Talos (Skrull Warlord) ****

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my experience, AP denial and/or theft is a fun (albeit slower) strategy that works great against active (tile matching) opponents. It's a strategy I used to use in 3-star PvP land with great defensive success, specifically with She-Hulk and the Hood. However, for a while now the developers have been pushing powers that affect/deny the enemy's strongest color, rather than the more universal denial of characters like She-Hulk, Hood, or OBW.

'Strongest color' powers are really hit or miss. If you're stealing it, it may or may not be a color you want/need. If you're denying it, AP in that color may or may not be that important to your enemies (but definitely won't be if powers in that color are passive.) Powers of this type are simply too unreliable in their effectiveness and history has shown over and over that unreliable = bad in this game.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious if his in-battle sprite is going to be as small relative to the other characters in the battle as it was during Cosmic Chaos's final node. That was jarringly tiny
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Given that his damage doesn't scale with cover count, just with base level, I would expect his base damage to be higher at the start. I just took a look at me lowest baby champ, Dazzler lvl 271, and his numbers are nearly identical (adjusted for what color they fall on). Anybody have a baby champ Chavez or Ghost to compare?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    I was wondering why people were being so harsh on his purple. I thought it created traps on different colors and matching that color steals it. Now that I've reread it, I see it's only on opponents strongest color. Now I have no idea what to even spec him.

This guy is terrible.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    Chavez has higher match damage(80/79/69), which could be due to her having no active ability at all, while Ghost has the same match damage as Talos.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chavez has higher match damage(80/79/69), which could be due to her having no active ability at all, while Ghost has the same match damage as Talos.
    I could be wrong, but I believe Chavez is the only 4* with non-standard match damage before Powers are taken into account.
  • Razuhlui
    Razuhlui Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    5/5/3
    DarthDeVo said:

Not to mention the fact that if the enemy has no AP in their strongest color yet this does... nothing. 

He got the difference in Ap as %-scale, if the enemy has 0 and you have 5 its  (5-0) * (match damage increases by 13%/ 18% (max 270%) at Level 3:).
    Its like America Chevaz, were the ap-bonus scale doesnt let her/him tank after getting behind the break even for tank dmg.
    The difference is Talos gets his whole dmg riced by one ap pool, and Chevaz is riced individually.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    JHawkInc said:
    Malcrof said:
    Early Life
    Talos was born without the common Skrull ability of shapeshifting, however he easily compensated for this by becoming one of the most feared and respected of Skrull warriors within the Empire, this reputation earned Talos the nickname of Talos the Untamed.[2]
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Talos_(Earth-616)[/spolier]

This could be the single worst mistake in the game.  The whole point of Talos in the comics was that he COULD NOT shapeshift, so he worked hard on his other skills, making him an offensive machine... in no way a support or passive character.

This isn't 616 Talos, it's 199999 Talos. Who can shapeshift. And thus is wholly unlike his comic counterpart.

Maybe the MCU could have picked a different name for their main Skrull character. But calling it a flaw in the game because the game added a movie character that isn't like their comic counterpart is a little silly.
    Yea. It's like complaining that MPQ Valkyrie is Tessa Thompson, instead of blond-haired white-skin comics Valkyrie.
    Nick fury would also like a word with you.

Although skin color is not the same as changing powers or abilities. So Talos is more the fault of the MCU tweaking him from the comics. But it's all owned by marvel so whatever.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I'm curious how effective a Talos/Nightcrawler/Chavez all-4* team would be?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Amusingly, it just occured to me that Talos will probably be noticeably better for Players who are transitioning to 4* soon than for established 4* Players, since he's more likely to end up being one of their higher level 4*, and thus tanking more often.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Amusingly, it just occured to me that Talos will probably be noticeably better for Players who are transitioning to 4* soon than for established 4* Players, since he's more likely to end up being one of their higher level 4*, and thus tanking more often.
    This is true of every character that has powers requiring (i) that they take damage or (ii) that they tank their colors.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the era of megadilution, it is far more likely that a newer player will cover the newest 4’s than the vintage who come up as pve rewards about once every 108 weeks as of now. So it’s not that bad to design new characters that benefit from tanking.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    3/5/5
    Whoa... that in game cover tho...   :s

Good to see that the art department is getting some time off, cause this is.... well, it's something.... but certainly not my taste.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    Vhailorx said:
    This is true of every character that has powers requiring (i) that they take damage or (ii) that they tank their colors.
    This. For an established 4* roster Iron Spider is likely dead weight. But for someone transitioning to 4* land, he'd be a lifesaver.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    Vhailorx said:
    This. For an established 4* roster Iron Spider is likely dead weight. But for someone transitioning to 4* land, he'd be a lifesaver.
    An established 4* roster would use him the same way I used 90% of my 4* roster... only when boosted. And in those instances he tanks everything and is actually really good!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iron Spider is superb boosted, his red can one-shot characters with 30k health but is  practically unusable non boosted. Looking at Talos, I don't see him as even getting much use boosted...
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    5/5/3
    I personally see his black power will be awesome in multi-wave PVE or some alliance events. Good stun and lovely shapeshift. In the right team I think this fool might be annoying ;)
  • MoonKnight
    MoonKnight Posts: 63 Match Maker
    My Talos and Foes vault isn’t open. Is anyone else having that issue? 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    Mine is not opened yet.

I just tried Talos, who was spec-ed at 5/5/3. After playing around with him twice, I say he is a character that requires you to interact with the screen (like switching characters and checking strongest colours) a lot, compared to characters like R4G, Ghost, America Chavez etc, where the only thing you have to interact with is purely and mostly making match-3 or more. 

Was it easy to hit 15 ap or more than the enemy has in their strongest colour? It is, until that enemy is downed and you have to restart again. One way is to leave the enemy who is responsible for the team's strongest colour last to be downed to get around it. Use his blue to stun that enemy and destroy the strongest colour.

I think 3/5/5 is the way to go since his purple is quite cheap.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ...It is, until that enemy is downed and you have to restart again. 
    This is why i think he'll go well with Nightcrawler (as well as he is going to go with anyone)- siphon off their strongest color and put it in your bank, while doing damage at the same time