When to call it quits...

2»

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's OK to quit the game. [Everyone gasps]  It won't hurt you or anybody else. In fact, you may find that you're happier.  I've openly stated my intentions to quit when I reach my goals. But it's illogical to sink so much time, money and energy into something and then leave it behind;  but that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Quitting is logical in terms of satisfaction though. You try something new, which is fun and satisfying, but eventually that wears off and you want to quit (even though it has become a part of your life). There are many, many things to explore in life and it would be sad if you only experienced a few of them because you were afraid to quit one. It's not efficient to jump from hobby to hobby, but it is exciting and satisfying, which I believe is far more important.  

So, if this isn't fun anymore, then accept that you've had a good run and it's time to move on to something new.  It may be difficult to leave it all behind, but I think you'll be happier if you do. This advice is coming from a veteran MPQ quitter (my claim to fame). In the past 5.5 years I've quit 4 times for many months. The reason I came back 4 times is because I thought I could find something new and fun in the game (which I did) but now I'm all but spent and have nearly run out of carrots to chase after. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep I don't care about placement at all either. Aim for 1k purely for the cover and extra riso, but if I hit only 800 or 900 so be it. Often don't bother with the final grind on pve as 100th or 20th really isn't worth the time.

I can easily skip 5*, I don't even care about getting one cover anymore if they are mid to low. It will come from a feeder eventually or not at all. I can get T100 anyway and that's enough for me. I used to worry about a character getting a re-work and I might miss out. I now know they have zero interest in reworking anyone with a sell by date of 1 month unless it's a gambit. The other genuine reworks are so rare I don't need to worry about it.
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    edited March 2019
    To me the problem is I like 4* characters, I have pretty much all 4* characters. I get excited (for a second) when I see a new 4* character, because they are attainable. (unlike 5*s)

Then I remember that I have 3 championed 5* characters, so it does not matter how cool 4* characters are, or how much I want them, or how much I would like to use them, because all I face in PvP and SHIELD simulator and 450+ 5* characters, and 4* characters just cannot match up to them. One good cascade from a 5* will pretty much wipe out the average 4* character. 

And getting 5*'s is pretty darn difficult, so.... I just keep plugging away, hoping that one day events will become available where 5* characters are not allowed, and then... THEN I can use Nebula, or Emma Frost, or Wiccan. Not because they are good, but because I own them and I want to PLAY with them. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    the times I played this game 2h+ per day are long gone, and even then that phase was rather short.

but all combined I still play about an hour per day on my way to work and back and the occasional cigarette break (let's call it that).

im on day 1400, most 3* are max champed and have champed dupes, most of the 4* tier is champed including bishop and prowler (had lucky timing, entered that tier when latest just started) 

i even have 3 5*s at 330 (thor 553, kitty 241, loki 304) but I rarely play them. I'd like to dip (read: softcap) my toe in 5*land, the resources are there, but the option of the latest 5*s just wasn't... my flavor.

it's still fun. i play scl7 for fast clears, mostly for the 4* cover and the 8cp progression reward, never wanted to invest in the time commitment for placing well.
    in pvp i play to 575, with a good essential i go for the 4*cover but would also skip in annoying pvps like she hulk or if i can't find any good busted troll teams.

you know those teams. 
    right now carol has her boost... weeks? and everyone is playing her. so my own carol is set to 5 green and with rogue i watch enemy carol mercilessly kill her own team.

3 minute matches while giggling like a kid. i think that defines my motivating of play - finding absurdly good or efficient teams.
    i had a blast when i champed gamora, rocket and medusa. ghost with Chavez and hood. ragfinite. winfinite. iron spider with miles and gwen. shuri and panther. rogue and coulson against any character with purple as strongest. (reed for the same in blue before his.. update).

this all goes out the window the moment I champ my 5*s, or two, whatever.
    i just have a hard time giving that up for a new tier with 4 or 5 useable characters in my roster.

but the 4* is a fun game with lots of teams. 
    i started women of power with Carol, 3daken and 3loki because simple matches with 30k damage are awesome, then switched to ghost, america and mockingbird, which is equally fun without being a glass canon. 

hard to beat that diversity. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    this recent stretch of less than stellar 4 and 5* characters might lead to some leaving the game behind. it's hard to get excited about collecting characters (let's be honest, the main reason to play theme right?) when they all are mediocre or worse.

and the match damage boost gimmick: played out and not at all useful.  
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am really close to quit myself too. The game is so stupidly boring in 5 land now (it has always been worse than 4 land, but now is incredible stale).

This KP, Cable, C.Marvel straw is going to be my final push, this game has always been about collecting characters (the game basically has one mode and then boss battles), but now, new 5s are just plain bad and completely unexciting. These 3 5s should be buffed ASAP. 

Truth to be told, the whole 5 land should be completely revamped, there are A LOT of chars that need to be made way more unique and fun. Why the F. they stopped buffing old 5 chars ?!?!?!?!?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just my thoughts, i took 7 months off, then one day decided to play again. I do have to say, the break has made the game immensely more fun.  I think the biggest reason is that the meta changed so much while i was gone, that i had to use PVE and whatnot to try and rebuild my roster. The stress of not shield hopping and mining health packs etc, is relaxing. HP and iso flowed nicely, and even though i am not in the meta yet (honestly not sure i want to be at that level of play again, it is time consuming), my roster is decent (the one in the link will be updated eventually, i promise), and i am having loads of fun, even making my 10 pack in pvp easily, with no stress.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof said:
    Just my thoughts, i took 7 months off, then one day decided to play again. I do have to say, the break has made the game immensely more fun.  I think the biggest reason is that the meta changed so much while i was gone, that i had to use PVE and whatnot to try and rebuild my roster. The stress of not shield hopping and mining health packs etc, is relaxing. HP and iso flowed nicely, and even though i am not in the meta yet (honestly not sure i want to be at that level of play again, it is time consuming), my roster is decent (the one in the link will be updated eventually, i promise), and i am having loads of fun, even making my 10 pack in pvp easily, with no stress.
    I think most the fun of the game, at least for me, was collecting all the characters and trying to catch up to the big dogs.  Except most of that joy is gone since I have caught up with collecting everyone, realizing that 95% of all characters are relegated to Essential-only status, and I still am not competitive with the big spenders.  I can see how taking some time off would be a little invigorating since it rekindles that catch-up part of the game.

That being said, I play way more casually now and if I get t10 in an event, great!  But if I get t50, no biggie.

I'm not in quit-mode yet, but I am approaching burn out mode.  Adding the Support event on top of all the regular stuff is a bit much.  I may go PVE only for a while, but I'm not there yet.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:
    this recent stretch of less than stellar 4 and 5* characters might lead to some leaving the game behind. it's hard to get excited about collecting characters (let's be honest, the main reason to play theme right?) when they all are mediocre or worse.

and the match damage boost gimmick: played out and not at all useful.  
    I agree with you. It is a bit sad, but we all need to agree that a bit of power creep is needed in a game were the only real incentive is getting new chars (there is basically no other new content). Getting chars that are worse than average is the opposite of what we needed. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ warbringa

there have been a lot of good suggestions on the forum for different modes of play. for whatever reason, we haven't see anything materialize.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    If you want to make MPQ better, there's an easy way:

- make part of the developers' salary based on their MPQ placings
    - make another part based on their work production

This extreme example is only meant to illustrate one point.
    The time investment required for competitive play is too high.

It feels like PvE would transform drastically with very little development effort, by just cutting the repetition in half. After 2x clears, drop the points and start the timer. Max points should only need one more clear at the end, or maybe 2.

Doubling the number of time slices would also be a huge help, although not sure if that one would be as simple to change server-side.

Then add some "casual time" somewhere, like events without placement, or ways to practice against specific or random matchups. Stuff like that.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa said:
    For the survival of the game they need to improve QoL and make it so you have less play time.  It is at least 90 minutes a day to just do full 6 clears in PvE and DDQ without a 5* Thanos.  That isn't figuring in PvP or the new supports feature every week.  Very few of the improvements have actually been QoL improvements and have been much more mechanic improvements.  I really think that cover saving wasn't a QoL improvement for example, simply  a really, really good mechanic improvement to the game.  Arguments could be made it has had an indirect QoL improvement which is probably true but not a major impact.  

You think never having to sell a cover for a character that you have rostered is not a qol improvement for the game?

One of the largest frustrations with this game was getting your 6th or more cover of a color already at 5 for a character you had rostered. You could have a character with 5-0-0 and every time you drew that same color it was sell it or..... let it expire giving you nothing.

Saved covers in my opinion is the single largest qol improvement for this game ever. Others have been nice. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Warbringa said:
    For the survival of the game they need to improve QoL and make it so you have less play time.  It is at least 90 minutes a day to just do full 6 clears in PvE and DDQ without a 5* Thanos.  That isn't figuring in PvP or the new supports feature every week.  Very few of the improvements have actually been QoL improvements and have been much more mechanic improvements.  I really think that cover saving wasn't a QoL improvement for example, simply  a really, really good mechanic improvement to the game.  Arguments could be made it has had an indirect QoL improvement which is probably true but not a major impact.  

You think never having to sell a cover for a character that you have rostered is not a qol improvement for the game?

One of the largest frustrations with this game was getting your 6th or more cover of a color already at 5 for a character you had rostered. You could have a character with 5-0-0 and every time you drew that same color it was sell it or..... let it expire giving you nothing.

Saved covers in my opinion is the single largest qol improvement for this game ever. Others have been nice. 
    Nope, that credit goes to the removal of roster based scaling from normal PVE.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    tiomono said:
    Warbringa said:

Cover save > no more roster based scaling in terms of QOL.

The reason is that roster based scaling only affected a small part of the player base (L330+ rosters where health/damage scaling goes exponential). I barely had 3* champs when roster based scaling came into play and it made zero difference for me in terms of QOL because I wasn't having trouble clearing (time wise or difficulty wise) at that level.

Cover saving helps everyone from newbies with 1 and 2* rosters to vets with hundreds of champed characters.

KGB
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited March 2019
    Bowgentle said:
    tiomono said:
    Warbringa said:

Sounds to me like what is considered the best QoL improvement is rather dependent on how a player spends their time in the game.

Maybe if they only play Versus Tournaments, then QoL improvements to Story Events don't really affect them. Maybe if a player isn't a "collectionist" and prefers to recruit and play as only their favorite characters, then Saved Covers might not be that impactful for them.

Both players harbor different perspectives, but their opinions are still valid!
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    tiomono said:
    Warbringa said:

Well then I will inform my opinion that it was wrong.