remember when? (we need this again)

Options
jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
silver surfer dropped and there was a 'test node' to try him out. that was a thing right? I'm not misremembering am i?

we very much need this again. and every time a 5* character is released. so we can try out the character in a non-game mode setting and actually get a good read on how good they are before they hit their own legends store. that way we can make a better informed decision on where to spend (or not) our cp.

Comments

• pstar782004
    pstar782004 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    That node is meant for showcasing how powerful is a 5s character (SS being the first one) by letting him took on 3 champed 4s. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does anyone remember the opponents in that nodes? Was it Hulkbuster, X-Force Wolverine, Jean Grey? Heh, that node might have been a different story if the 5* had been Wasp - or maybe the match damage would do the heavy lifting.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prior to that being for Silver Surfer, that node used to always give you a loaner of the PVP simulator progression 4* against 3 Lv60 Hammer goons.  That was my daily “use 3* Deadpool” node for a long time.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PuceMoose said:
    Does anyone remember the opponents in that nodes? Was it Hulkbuster, X-Force Wolverine, Jean Grey? Heh, that node might have been a different story if the 5* had been Wasp - or maybe the match damage would do the heavy lifting.
    Hulkbuster, Teen Jean, Carnage. At that time, the three most powerful 4*.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gosh, I remember that node! Everyone was amazed and wowed by how powerful Silver Surfer was. I do agree that it would be nice if they do something like that again or whenever a new 5* is released. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Definitely in favour of a loaner 5* node. They do it for Strange Sights with 5* Strange so it isn't a coding thing or anything like that.

For my uncovered 5* I generally take them for a spin with Black Bolt to find out what they can do which seems sort'a crazy situation really having to rely upon an old 5* characters niche power to just get a demonstration of what new releases do.
  • jredd
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Hurry, you have about 3 hours left before Malcrof wakes up and moves this to Suggestions and Feedback.
    it's ok. they're being read...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That node is meant for showcasing how powerful is a 5s character (SS being the first one) by letting him took on 3 champed 4s. 
    That node predated the champion system by about 5 months. It was 450 SS v. Jg + Carnage + imhb.

It was fun to figure out how to lose at all.

Yes please, bring back the seasonal nodes as a fun side attraction.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

It was fun to figure out how to lose at all.

I pulled off a loss once back then, but now that they've updated how cascades work for the AI in PVE, I'm not entirely sure it's possible anymore. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can see it being a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, it'd be a nice way to try out new characters.

On the other, if you try someone out and decide you don't like them, you're more likely to skip that character, which is really bad for new character releases.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be done somehow. Say, start now with Silver Surfer, one 5* each full PVP season, slowly rotate through them, maybe as a way to encourage new players to chase old 5's? new season roughly once a month, new 5's roughly every 6 weeks, you'd "catch up" eventually, but a long time to go before that's a worry. Throw in an extra Hero for Hire deal that runs the season that character is available? Maybe something expensive with all three covers available, so it's possible for newer players to try out the character and then spend to dive in with at least one cover of each power to get them started, but it's also a way for a veteran to make a dent in finishing the character as well?

Just a thought.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2019
    Options
    PuceMoose said:
    Hulkbuster, Teen Jean, Carnage. At that time, the three most powerful 4*.
    I thought I remembered Cyclops being in that node, so I did some forum spelunking, and found this thread, proving you are correct.

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Hurry, you have about 3 hours left before Malcrof wakes up and moves this to Suggestions and Feedback.
    Guess i slept late, moving to Suggestions and Feedback :smile:

As a player, i loved the tester nodes next to sim in season play.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    Bowgentle said:

Guess your still asleep. You put it in magic forums instead of marvel.

On topic. I remember people saying how silly broken surfer was. Was too strong etc, etc. Fast forward several 5's and people were mad silver surfer was not stronger.

I miss that node it was fun.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are some mighty confused mtgpq players reading this thread...
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think a test node would be good.  But, I think it should be more balanced that that Silver Surfer one to actually be of use testing the character.  I remember there was a thread of people attempting to lose the Surfer battle.  It was very unbalanced, and even using no skills, you'd end up killing the team with match damage.  You had to prioritize off color matches.  
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    Bowgentle said:

DAZ0273 said:
    There are some mighty confused mtgpq players reading this thread...
    So, how long until Malcrof moves it to the correct Suggestions and Feedback?  :D
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Malcrof said:
    Bowgentle said:

Guess your still asleep. You put it in magic forums instead of marvel.

LOL, oops, moving again :/    
  • jredd
    Options
    thread dead...
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, it would be nice to see a node that can be replayed as much as you like each season. Not like Prologue that is now locking you out after all rewards are out. Yes yes, I know why and all... but it would still be nice to let my nieces and nephew take a shot at something where the result doesn't matter.

Then again, there are more things that could do with a come back... whatever became of the Sparkly Victory Banner (tm)?   o:)