Ability Upgrade Cost Reduction (2/22/19)

13»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's an acceptable CP cost to buy a colour of your choice of unlocked power of your chosen character, assuming all 3 powers have been unlocked? The key difference from pulling from RNG is 1. Guaranteed 2.Choice 3. Immediate

720, 600 and 500 CP is obviously out.

RNG cost 1/21 or 520 CP for the Latest specific character.

H4H for Classic Legends which rotate every few months  of a cover, not of your choice, cost 250CP.

Pulling from Classics is 1/7 * 1/31 = 217*20 = 4340 CP

1:7 is 140 CP(Classics) or 175 (Latest).

So, it's pretty obvious that buying direct unlocked power will never cost fewer than 175CP or even 250CP, unless big changes in the game happen.

The conclusion is, even if buying direct power cost between 250CP to 500CP, not many will buy it. They rather dance with Lady Luck and hope that she gives them what they want, and then get frustrated when they don't get it. 

On the other hand, you have a guaranteed way of getting what you want without dancing with Lady Luck. Yes, it costs more. The world works like this: customisation always cost a lot more.

• ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I think somewhere around 300 cp for upgrading a 5* power would have been a sale that would have actually been intriguing. 600 cp is still way too much to be appealing
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not a whale, haven't spent thousands on this game, and only occasionally spend a token amount on something to get the extra rewards from playing. I have 10 5*s champed (including Thor, Okoye and Kitty) and many others at 11 or 12 covers (including Cable). So for context, what I'm about to say clearly didn't stop me from re-earning enough cp to keep up with getting 5*s.

Some time back, I bought a black Thano5 for 720cp. (Prior to saved covers.)

Why? Many reasons.

1. I primarily play pve, and back in the day my Thano5 got to 2/5/5. I wanted to respec him so that my grinds would be faster (for both placement and less play time overall).
    2. I certainly wasn't going to bonus hero something that might take me to 2/6/5 or 2/5/6.
    3. My Gamora was nowhere near giving out a black Thano5, so bonusing her would have been absurd.
    4. There are so, so many 5*s that waiting for a specific colour of a specific 5* to come up for 250cp was an absurd notion.
    5. There are so, so many 5*s that trying to pull a specific colour of a specific 5* in Classic LTs was also an absurd notion.

So ultimately, it was one cover I needed and would be guaranteed to get, to make my personal play experience a lot better. And it did. And I don't regret spending that much cp on one cover in the least.

Now, would I buy one cover of Kingpin to finish him off? Of course not.

But blanket statements like "720 / 600 / etc is too much cp for a cover!", while possibly applying to the person who says that, are not necessarily the case for everyone.

And personally, I like the fact that there's an avenue where players can choose to get something they specifically want, at the exact time they want it. So if this is the devs testing the waters to see if a slightly lower cost gets more interest in this avenue... I say great. Hopefully it does and hopefully they consider keeping it a bit lower in the future. If not, then good luck to anyone who is in a position to make use of the offer at the present moment.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the devs are simply testing out a lower cost to see what difference it makes.  I'm sure they realize that almost nobody (<0.1%) purchases covers this way. If the results of this test are good, then expect this change to come back. 

They're trying to find the perfect balance of rewards and costs to keep players interested and progressing but still come up short to take advantage of everything, which should drive spending. 

I'm sure it's no coincidence that this sale is happening right after the Favorite Legendary store. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2019
    What about 800 CP to unlock a cover (go from 0-1) but 400 to upgrade (go from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc)?

Here’s a way to look at it: to fully cover a 5* from scratch at these costs would be 6400 CP. Steep enough to be limiting, but not so steep as to be entirely unattainable.

Getting 13 random covers from a latest vault would cost 13 / 0.15 x 25 = 2,166 CP. So this would be roughly triple that cost, which seems fair given you are getting to choose your character and color whereas in LTs it’d be one of 9 random.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lystrata said:

Some time back, I bought a black Thano5 for 720cp. (Prior to saved covers.)

I've done worst. Spent 720cp for oml in April 2018, just to save the duplicate black from xfw champion rewards. Shortly after, saving covers was introduced... 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:
    Please remind me of the last time we had a feeder.  I'm not being facetious, or ironic.  I honestly do not remember.
    Mr. Fantastic had his champion rewards updated to include Silver Surfer on January 11th, 2019.
    This worked out very well for me, as I was able to get my first non-black cover for the Surfer after getting eight black ones in a row (all pre-Saved Covers, sadly).
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:
    Please remind me of the last time we had a feeder.  I'm not being facetious, or ironic.  I honestly do not remember.
    Mr. Fantastic had his champion rewards updated to include Silver Surfer on January 11th, 2019.
    This worked out very well for me, as I was able to get my first non-black cover for the Surfer after getting eight black ones in a row (all pre-Saved Covers, sadly).
    That's a bummer those 8 Black covers couldn't have been Saved, but I'm glad you were able to finally acquire a non-Black cover from his Champion reward updates! Hopefully you're much closer now to Championing him. :)
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Brigby said:
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:
    That's a bummer those 8 Black covers couldn't have been Saved, but I'm glad you were able to finally acquire a non-Black cover from his Champion reward updates! Hopefully you're much closer now to Championing him. :)
    So, just out of curiosity, do you or the devs have a guideline about how long you think it should take to champion a 5*?  I mean, granted it would depend on how much you play and how much of a whale you are.  But, I imagine you have stats on what percentage of the player base has characters champed.

I've been playing since the introduction of 5*'s (and well before) and don't have SS champed (mine's at 4/4/2).  If maguirenumber6 has been around at least since before saving covers, that's a little while too.  Is working on a character for 3 years and still not being done a reasonable rate for the dev team?

• peterdark
    peterdark Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    I'm in the 4* transition phase but decided to buy my 5th green America Chavez cover. I had been saving my CP until I had all the 4 * rostered but given that pvp whilst in this transition was causing me to lose too much time or health packs I actually think this was the best decision I have ever made in ANY game. 

Now I can use America Chavez and any boosted character (or my 1 cover 5 * Doctor Strange) and I have a good chance of beating most teams as long as I'm not ranked above 40. Before it would be so painful trying to grind 40 wins, even with the 8 free seed wins.

Would I have done this without the offer? Doubt it. In hindsight 120cp for that 5th green would still have been worth it but I would never had known if they didn't tempt me with the offer....
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    peterdark said:
    I'm in the 4* transition phase but decided to buy my 5th green America Chavez cover. I had been saving my CP until I had all the 4 * rostered but given that pvp whilst in this transition was causing me to lose too much time or health packs I actually think this was the best decision I have ever made in ANY game. 

Now I can use America Chavez and any boosted character (or my 1 cover 5 * Doctor Strange) and I have a good chance of beating most teams as long as I'm not ranked above 40. Before it would be so painful trying to grind 40 wins, even with the 8 free seed wins.

Would I have done this without the offer? Doubt it. In hindsight 120cp for that 5th green would still have been worth it but I would never had known if they didn't tempt me with the offer....
    Enjoy her!
    I was not tempted by this offer (I'm cheap), but was very lucky to have finally pulled her 5th Green from a Classic pull just a couple of nights ago. I've been running her ragged ever since.

This cover and the first Okoye Yellow I got (~2 months ago) may turn out to be the single most valuable covers I've ever pulled. They've both been absolute game-changers for me. 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2019
    Brigby said:
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:
    I technically only lost three black covers. My Surfer still languishes in unlevelled obscurity, despite being my first 5* character. He's now 255, 1/0/5.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    My SS is about 2/8/11.  Considering one of those blues is from champ rewards it's pretty frustrating.  Seems a lot of people pulled a lot of black covers before saving.