Ability Upgrade Cost Reduction (2/22/19)

Comments

• chrisH
    chrisH Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Hmm checks math...divide by...carry the one... yep 600 is still audaciously expensive to buy just one cover. That 600 could be 24 LL tokens or 30 classic tokens. I think you would have me at a 300 CP flash sale to finish one of my 12 over 5 stars but even then I would have to think about it. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    gentgeen said:
    Only available for 3 days, and no warning about it coming?  Is there really THAT many people that have over 600CP hoarded away already?  If this is some kind of test/evaluation of a new cost, it seems to me like it is doomed to fail.

Seems more like an offer for whales than anything else, to me.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:
    Please remind me of the last time we had a feeder.  I'm not being facetious, or ironic.  I honestly do not remember.
    Mr. Fantastic had his champion rewards updated to include Silver Surfer on January 11th, 2019.
    It was not fun going through the announcements, but please correct me if I am wrong.

The last three feeders:

January 2019 - Mr. Fantastic to Silver Surfer
    October 31st, 2018 - Ghost Rider to Ghost Rider
    June 2018, Jubilee to Jean Grey.

That 3 feeders in the last 8 months.  And none of the 5s released in that span of time have had feeders.

Was Chavez - JJ and Peggy to Cap really before June 2018?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    gentgeen said:
    Only available for 3 days, and no warning about it coming?  Is there really THAT many people that have over 600CP hoarded away already?  If this is some kind of test/evaluation of a new cost, it seems to me like it is doomed to fail.

Who are the whales who have enough CP to drop them on champ levels, but DON'T want to save that hoard for the next few 5*s?
  • bluewolf
    pheregas said:
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:
    Please remind me of the last time we had a feeder.  I'm not being facetious, or ironic.  I honestly do not remember.
    Mr. Fantastic had his champion rewards updated to include Silver Surfer on January 11th, 2019.
    It was not fun going through the announcements, but please correct me if I am wrong.

The last three feeders:

That 3 feeders in the last 8 months.  And none of the 5s released in that span of time have had feeders.

Carnage to Ock - late December
    America to JJ - Mid Oct

In August we got like 7-8 feeders with the MCU celebration.
  • bluewolf
    Vhailorx said:
    bluewolf said:
    gentgeen said:

Who are the whales who have enough CP to drop them on champ levels, but DON'T want to save that hoard for the next few 5*s?
    Ok, I’m not sure who this is for. But a whale might decide to buy the last cover for, say, Thor after ending up 5/5/2 in fave legends. 

I think it’s completely ridiculous to pay that much CP for a cover, but I’ve also never considered spending thousands of dollars on this game. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fire sales coming thick and fast. Hang on for the next one....
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    pheregas said:
    Brigby said:
    pheregas said:

The last three feeders:

There was the slew of feeders they gave us at the 10 year celebration in August -

Valkyrie -> Thor

Black Widow -> Black Widow

Winter Soldier -> IW Cap

MEHulk -> Loki

War Machine -> IM46

Shuri -> Okoye

Spider Man -> BSSM

Peggy to Cap was earlier, I'm not sure when.  Also, Doc Ock was in your time frame somewhere, let me check...

• Vhailorx
    edited February 2019
    bluewolf said:
    Vhailorx said:
    bluewolf said:
    gentgeen said:

Ok, I’m not sure who this is for. But a whale might decide to buy the last cover for, say, Thor after ending up 5/5/2 in fave legends. 

I think it’s completely ridiculous to pay that much CP for a cover, but I’ve also never considered spending thousands of dollars on this game. 
    But that's just it, how many players both spend thousands on a mobile game, but also let an excellent character like Thor leave the LT pool at 5/5/2 (And never got a BH cover despite their heavy spending)?

I mean, the 5* game is almosy pure RNG, so no doubt that actually happened to a hand full of people.  But would Demi/d3 really offer this sort of sale for such a minute population?  If they want to curry favor with the Uber whales, then something like the favorites store, or a roster slot sale, or more $75 costume bundles would be far more effective tools.
  • bluewolf
    Again, I don’t know exactly. But if you were a person who came to the game after Thor left Latests and wanted to spend a lot of money chasing him, it would be cheaper to direct buy covers for 600 cp than about 3920 in Classics (an estimate based on getting one cover for every 5 in Classics).
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2019
    bluewolf said:
    Again, I don’t know exactly. But if you were a person who came to the game after Thor left Latests and wanted to spend a lot of money chasing him, it would be cheaper to direct buy covers for 600 cp than about 3920 in Classics (an estimate based on getting one cover for every 5 in Classics).
    But the favorite legends store also exists right now.  And if you were a new player who came into the game post-thor, you almost certainly also want okoye covers.  Spending that cp on lots more 4* covers + kitty/okoye instead of direct buys is a much better idea for a new Uber whale too.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    As much as people hate this, it could be a good way to complete limited characters. Looking at you taskmaster and spiderham
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    It would be an interesting forum contest to guess how many 4* and 5* covers were bought at full price. I remember finishing Nova that way, but since saved covers there's no reason to.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    As much as people hate this, it could be a good way to complete limited characters. Looking at you taskmaster and spiderham
    Maybe, but personally I don’t care enough about limited characters I’m either never going to use or once per year. Certainly not 100cp enough to care.

Perhaps they will do a 5* limited soon, that might be a different story.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Pongie said:
    If this years anniversary vault is anything like last years, a couple passes through it should finish them both off.
  • Vhailorx
    Pongie said:
    I can't imagine valuing a finished likited character over 4-5 LT pulls.  Limited 4*s are basically only useful to earn themselves during special events.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Those are the reduced costs? Uh, I'm just gonna keep ignoring the fact this avenue exists to obtain 5-star covers.

Thanks, though!

Remember, that's only when you already have that colour as well. if you are at 5/5/0 on a character you have to keep waiting.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Straycat said:
    It would be an interesting forum contest to guess how many 4* and 5* covers were bought at full price. I remember finishing Nova that way, but since saved covers there's no reason to.
    I finished Nick Fury like that before saved covers were a thing. He was my first champed 4*
  • bluewolf
    This deal isn't for me, as I said earlier.  I hope some players find it helpful. I think the timing is odd.

But, I am glad that the developers are looking at things like this, at least, and (I presume) testing the waters for ways they can make them more appealing.