**** Magik (Classic) ****

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited February 2019 in Character Details
Hi Everyone,

"Illyana spent her childhood fighting to survive in Limbo. With her teleportation powers, magical abilities, and the Soulsword, she eventually defeated the evil sorcerer who controlled this dimension and became its ruler. She's since returned to Earth, where she puts her powers to use on a team of rookie X-Men as Magik."

Check out the brand new 4-Star Magik, and find out how you can recruit her onto your roster!

4-Star Rarity (Legendary)
Heroes, X-Men
purpletilepng  bluetilepng

(Abilities listed at level 270, Power Level 5)
14956 Health
purpletilepng 85 |  74 | bluetilepng 65 |  43 | blacktilepng 13 | yellowtilepng 12 | greentilepng 11 |  3.0x

Ruler of Limbo -  9 purpletilepng AP
Summoning a stepping disc, Magik teleports herself to the Limbo dimension to gain power. Create a 2-turn Purple Repeater tile that converts 2 basic tiles to Red.

While this tile is on the board, this power becomes The Return.
  • Level 2: No Change
  • Level 3: Create a 1-turn Purple Repeater tile...
  • Level 4: No Change
  • Level 5: No Change
The Return - purpletilepng Passive
Magik returns from Limbo and surprises her opponent with an attack. When Magik's Repeater tile is matched away or destroyed, create 2 strength 52 Purple Strike tiles.

When Magik's Repeater tile is no longer on the board, this power becomes Ruler of Limbo.
  • Level 2: ...create 2 strength 72 Purple Strike tiles.
  • Level 3: No Change
  • Level 4: ...create 3 strength 76 Purple Strike tiles.
  • Level 5: ...create 3 strength 126 Purple Strike tiles.
Sliced Sorcery - 12  AP
Using her Soulsword, Magik slices through her opponents to disrupt their magic. Deal 1777 damage and remove up to 1 enemy Strike, Attack, Protect, or Countdown tile.
  • Level 2: Deal 2933 damage...
  • Level 3: ...remove up to 2 enemy Strike, Attack, Protect, or Countdown tiles.
  • Level 4: Deal 5161 damage...
  • Level 5: Deal 9448 damage...
Eldritch Armor - bluetilepng Passive
Each use of Magik's powers causes more pieces of a mystical armor to appear on her. Whenever a friendly power is fired, create 1 strength 72 Protect tiles and fortify 1 friendly Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles and improve it by 54.
  • Level 2: ...improve it by 97.
  • Level 3: ...create 1 strength 135 Protect tile...
  • Level 4: ...fortify 2 friendly Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles and improve them...
  • Level 5: ...create 2 strength 135 Protect tiles...improve them by 128.
What do you think is Magik's best build? Vote down below!

Release Information

Recruit Magik!

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training - Heroes for Hire
  • Starts: 2/14/19, 7:00am ET
  • Ends: 2/21/19, 7:00am ET
  • Price 7,000 Hero Points
  • Contents: 
    • Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) Blue Cover
    • Iron Fist (Danny Rand) Blue Cover
    • 16x Elite Tokens
    • 6x Command Points
    • 20,000 Iso-8
Magik & Friends - Limited Vault
  • Ends: 2/19/19, 2:00am ET
  • 80 Items: 
    • 1x Legendary Token
    • 3x Beginner Support Tokens
    • 1x Random Magik (Classic) Cover
    • 2x Random 4-Stars from the Call for Backup missions, with an option of the following characters:
      • Bishop (Classic)
      • Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)
      • Iron Fist (Danny Rand)
    • 21x 3-Star Covers
      • 3x Featured
      • 18x Random
    • 52x 2-Star Covers
      • 10x Featured
      • 42x Random

Event Schedule

Strange Sights - Story Event
  • Ends: 2/18/19, 2:00am ET
  • Magik (Classic) in Placement Reward
S.H.I.E.L.D. Training - Character Release Event
  • Ends: 2/21/19, 7:00am ET
  • Rewards tokens to Strange Sights, random cover of Magik, and more!
The Hunt - Story Event
  • Starts: 2/17/19, 7:00am ET
  • Ends: 2/22/19, 2:00am ET
  • Magik (Classic) in Progression Reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Magik & Friends Vault
Disappearing Act - Versus Tournament
  • Starts: 2/17/19, 8:00am ET
  • Ends: 2/20/19, 3:00pm ET
  • Magik (Classic) in Progression Reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Magik & Friends Vault

**** Magik (Classic) **** 9 votes

5/5/3
0%
5/4/4
0%
5/3/5
22%
BearVengerAres76 2 votes
4/5/4
11%
OzarkBoatswain 1 vote
3/5/5
66%
ironsmudgiejameshR3N3G4DEskittledaddyDoragonNemesisEtherion 6 votes

Comments

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 435 Mover and Shaker
    Now this is how you make a character with repeater tile mechanic work. Looking at you Emma Frost.

On a side note, now that we have all Phoenix 5 characters in game can we have some alt costumes plox?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Really glad I got that 10th Bishop cover in Shield Sim last night.

As for Magik, it appears 3/5/5 is the way to go to take advantage of the Red Nuke and the Blue Passive.  She won't move the meta but at least she's not DOA like Submariner was.

One thing I do wonder about. If she's matched against Kitty and Kitty's passive destroys her Purple passive (and there are no other special tiles on the board) do her strike tiles get created before Kitty's damage kicks in or after. Ideally they come first to deny Kittys damage.

KGB
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    MAGIK!! YAYY!!!!

Aw **** Bishop...

Seems like a decent partner for Bl4de. If you can hold off on casting Red until the last enemy.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    <<snip>>

One thing I do wonder about. If she's matched against Kitty and Kitty's passive destroys her Purple passive (and there are no other special tiles on the board) do her strike tiles get created before Kitty's damage kicks in or after. Ideally they come first to deny Kittys damage.

KGB
    Kitty's passive doesn't target repeater tiles. It only replaces attack, strike, protect, or countdown tiles.

So once Magik's repeater is destroyed or matched away and the strike tiles are produced, then Kitty's passive will trigger. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone had Track Changes turned on...
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,367 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bzhai said:
    Now this is how you make a character with repeater tile mechanic work. Looking at you Emma Frost.

On a side note, now that we have all Phoenix 5 characters in game can we have some alt costumes plox?
    So, you're planning to spend 5x $100 for that? Good luck....
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    3/5/5
    After years of playing and being behind in HP, I'm finally ready/willing to spend HP in Heroes for Hire. But they never pick the colors I need though...

A few times ago it was C4rol and Medusa. I needed both, but both were the wrong colors.
    Now all I need is GRocket Yellow and HoboFist Black. So what do they offer? ... Blue and Blue... COME ON!!
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Thematically Strange Sights feels like a great launch event for her, but wasn't it just run a couple weeks ago?
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Is that the cover they're going to use?  I was hoping for Sienkiewicz...
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks okay
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    So the characters required for SHIELD Training is Grocket, Hobofist and...Bishop?
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    gmtosca said:
    So the characters required for SHIELD Training is Grocket, Hobofist and...Bishop?
    correct
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited February 2019
    Someone had Track Changes turned on...
    In the grand scheme of things, probably unnecessary for me to mark those changes, but I actually highlighted those smaller details manually. I didn't use any Track Changes feature or anything. :D
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    You guys are really pushing it with Bishop as the third character in Shield Training.  Why don’t you just make Majik and Namor required too?
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    You guys are really pushing it with Bishop as the third character in Shield Training.  Why don’t you just make Majik and Namor required too?
    I was thinking the same thing and so were others in my alliance.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    She looks like Kitty's little sister (but don't call her tinykitty).....and kinda works like Kitty too. Anyway, I like this one. If she was 5*, she would actually pair well with Kitty, being X-men, creating specials, fortifying specials, buffing specials and having a useful nuke.

Magik 3/5/5

9 Purple: Create 1-turn purple repeater, which adds 2 red tiles. If repeater is matched/destroyed, create 2 purple strike tiles. This power reminds me of Clagger, who either adds black tiles or makes attack tiles (which is Clagger's best power because it's passive). But  this costs 9 AP, so it's like you're trading purple AP for Red AP. If you play this with the intent to match it away, then it's no better than 3* Punisher's green to add some strike tiles. The repeater or strike tiles have a better chance of surviving since they are on the same color which activates the power. This could work very well with 4*Blade....at first, you avoid Red and match purple, then you place the repeater to keep making red for Blade to either produce beefy strikes or start randomly hitting people. But it's an expensive battery at 9 AP, but still useable. The strikes you get when it's matched away are not useless because she can fortify and buff them. 

12 Red : A solid nuke with added defense of removing specials. Simple and effective.  Since her purple repeater can fuel this power, we could pretend that it doesn't cost so much, but we would be fooling ourselves. Collecting 12 Red is easier than collecting 9 Purple THEN 12 Red. Nevertheless, I don't fault this power set. If she was paired with Blade, this could be a good backup plan to stop something, including Carol's Black CD tile of death or Grockets green auto-bomb. 

Blue Passive: This power is definitely her best one and could easily be exploited. Passive protect tile creation, fortification and buffing for just firing ANY power, including her own. So, you could add this power's text to her 2 active powers above.....9 Purple AP create 1-turn repeater and 2 fortified protect tiles of strength 264.......or 12 Red AP deal 9,448, remove 2 enemy specials and create 2 fortified protects. Imagine using this passive with Wasp's 5 yellow AP.......create 1 strike and 3 protects (2 fortified).....fire again to flip protect/strikes, buff them, create 2 more protects, fortify 2 and buff 2 again! That's some sweet efficiency. Add in Prof-X or Shuri or 4*Panther for even more awesome synergy. You could also pair with Nova for cheap spamming powers to create a ton of strikes and protects. 

With 5* characters, you could pair her with Kitty and OML for some awesome passive special tile creation and buffing.  She would be the "weak link" but it would work. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5/ for me. I love her repeater that converts 2 basic tiles to red tiles.

First few partners that I can think of to take advantage of her repeater tile: 4* Blade, 3* Cyclops, 3* Daredevil.

Her blue passive reminds me of Prof X's power without the fortification.

Some other obvious partners of hers are those that revolves fortication of tiles like Shuri, Black Panther etc.

She looks like a pretty good character.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Got Bishop on 9. Still time to get the 10th, so BH'd him immediately. 

On a side note, Bishop is a terrible nuisance to play against as i noticed in the Support Circuit today.