I should buy okoye black for 250, right?

Options
Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
My okoye is 1/5/5, and my shuri is still unchamped (3/6/4 so far).

This is the rare circumstance where an HfH cover makes sense, right?  That will let me champ okoye as soon as shuri hits 280.  The alternative is a 2/5/5 okoye until my shuri hits 340 or I get a crazy lucky pull.

(And for reference my half-thor is champed, so I need to use supports to make my level 420 okoye tank yellow for him, which is a pain.)

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's just CP. You'll make more.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Absolutely buy. I did too. Okoye is one of the best and she's at the cheaper 250cp price now too. Its a no brainer. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    250 CP for a useful fivestar cover is not a bad deal at all.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You'd most likely spend more than that with her as a BH to even get one cover, and that wouldn't guarantee it's the black cover it were to give you. Yes, this is a good CP cover purchase.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agree that this makes sense, 250CP is a no-brainer if you are a few BH Shuris away from the other one.

She is pretty game-changing with Thor and amusing with a whole host of other characters.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Easy - buy and set Shuri as favorite 4*. Champ Okoye and enjoy the ride :)
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hadn't even considered it since I usually wouldn't have anywhere close to enough cp. 180 cp, 4 days to get 70 cp, which is actually possible with the support circuit event running. My Okoye is 2/5/4 with 4 saved. So I would be buying a cover and swapping 3 covers. Now is that too much to do?
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Straycat said:
    I hadn't even considered it since I usually wouldn't have anywhere close to enough cp. 180 cp, 4 days to get 70 cp, which is actually possible with the support circuit event running. My Okoye is 2/5/4 with 4 saved. So I would be buying a cover and swapping 3 covers. Now is that too much to do?
    Where is your shuri.

Buying the cover makes sense to me where a player is

(1) close to finishing an excellent Character like okoye; and
    (2) your build and shuri status indicate that waiting for feeder covers or bh luck is not a high probability play.

So stray, if you are close to a useful (i.e. black or red) cover from shuri, then buy the HfH cover and wait for the feeder to champ.  But if your shuri is far from a useful cover and champing okoye would be a significant improvement for your roster, then I might consider the 3:1 swap.  Those swaps are a much worse deal than the 250cp purchases though, so you need  to get a ton of value back.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You'd most likely spend more than that with her as a BH to even get one cover, and that wouldn't guarantee it's the black cover it were to give you. Yes, this is a good CP cover purchase.
    Much more, I'm afraid.  Assuming normal odds when pulling both 5* and BH is not a good assumption - considering one is 15% and the other is 5% of that 15% - the lower the odds the longer it takes to "average out."  But even assuming this, you're still averaging around 134 pulls before you get a bonus 5*.  And as Spidy pointed out, no guarantee it's black.  In CP, assuming Classics, that's 2680 CP.  Of course, you're also pulling 20 other 5*s and 114 4*s, so that's worth a lot itself, but still.

Considering how good Okoye is, I'd say it's a good purchase.  Swapping (as Straycat put forward,) is a bit more dicey, though considering how difficult it is to finish a 5* once they're out of Latest, I'd say it's worth it if you're already a 5* player.  If  you're not... probably not, actually - you've actually got a decent chance to cover her if you hoard and/or pull Classics over the long term, and the benefit from actually finishing her is less.
  • Straycat
    Options
    Yea my Shuri is 292, 28 levels away from a usable cover. And I only have 4 4*s over 320, so I don't expect Shuri to get there any time soon.
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Straycat said:
    Yea my Shuri is 292, 28 levels away from a usable cover. And I only have 4 4*s over 320, so I don't expect Shuri to get there any time soon.
    Yeah, so buying the HfH cover is likely a good idea for you, like me.  But while I then only need 9 shuri covers to champ, you would need 28 more. 
    So guess the question is what would an okoye champ do for you?  If you already have most of the other top tier 5*s champed (e.g. Thor, kitty, DD, Thanos, strange, jj, bb, etc), then maybe wait as a 435 okoye should be plenty good enough.

But if you have a more modest 5* roster, then saving 3 champ levels in the remote future probably isn't worth sacrificing the utility of champing a 5* as good as okoye. 
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options
    do it Doug
  • IYeaheahI
    IYeaheahI Posts: 53 Match Maker
    edited February 2019
    Options
    What would you guys advise me?

My Okoye is 5/1/4 so black would be a dupe however thorkoye is my ticket to 5* land with thor being at 12 covers ( but capped to keep his red and black damage lower then okoye)

Shuri is 290 now so i will be getting a yellow okoye soon. I also have 1 saved cover
    already.

250 CP is a lot but getting 10 more random 4 or 5 star covers just doesn't make a big difference for my roster power.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IYeaheahI said:

My Okoye is 5/1/4 so black would be a dupe however thorkoye is my ticket to 5* land with thor being at 12 covers ( but capped to keep his red and black damage lower then okoye)

Shuri is 290 now so i will be getting a yellow okoye soon. I also have 1 saved cover
    already.

250 CP is a lot but getting 10 more random 4 or 5 star covers just doesn't make a big difference for my roster power.

I’m not understanding what you’re asking or you might not be clear on how saved covers work?  I mean, sure. You can save a black cover to eventually turn it into a champ level and get an LT out of it, but it’s not worth 250 CP to do that and possibly (I assume this is your thought) be sure that Okoye is tanking over Thor. You can effectively run Thorkoye with varying levels and while it’s certainly preferable to have Okoye tank red, it’s far from a requirement and not worth spending the CP on.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd been saving up for the next 5-star release vault, and had about 1050 CP in the hoard.  That being siad, Okoye is my bonus hero, and she was sitting at 2/3/4.  I put down 250 CP to make her 3/3/4, raised her to her max level with the ISO that came with her cover, and went into SCL 9 for this event.  Between her, my champed 5trange and Medusa, it was the quickest (non-boosted Thanos) clear I've ever had in SCL9.  I think the highest damage my Strange did when a goon fired off an ability was close to 16K.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    IYeaheahI said:

already.

Sadly, you need a yellow HfH offering.  The black one won't do you much good. It would essentially amount to spending 250 CP on a champ level when you get her champed.  That's not a good deal.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Huh,

The favorites store with Thor, okoye, and kitty changes things a bit.

I think the direct buy still makes sense for me personally since I am so desperate for black okoye covers, and am also far enough away from champing kitty that I would need to drop several k cp in the favorites store to finish her.

But for those with 10+ covers on 2 or 3 of those characters, it definitely makes sense to spend heavily on this store. even if 5* marvel is very good, it will still he useful to champ 3 other excellent characters.  And I would be shocked if marvel were quite launch-Gambit levels of good.

For those with all 3 champed, investing heavily in more champ levels is a harder call.  The levels are nice, but there is also value is keeping all your 5*s relatively close together, since 5* champ levels are so strong. 

• Straycat
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Straycat said:
    Yeah, so buying the HfH cover is likely a good idea for you, like me.  But while I then only need 9 shuri covers to champ, you would need 28 more. 
    So guess the question is what would an okoye champ do for you?  If you already have most of the other top tier 5*s champed (e.g. Thor, kitty, DD, Thanos, strange, jj, bb, etc), then maybe wait as a 435 okoye should be plenty good enough.

But if you have a more modest 5* roster, then saving 3 champ levels in the remote future probably isn't worth sacrificing the utility of champing a 5* as good as okoye. 
    So I guess the options are:
    2/5/4 420 Okoye  spend nothing
    3/5/4 435 Okoye   Spend 250 cp, 4 saved
    5/4/4 451 Okoye   Spend 250 cp, swap 3 covers
    The main thing is that she has the lowest covers in her best power. I really don't see what 3 champ levels would do for me either way. I have 11 5* champs, but only 2 over 451, and no Kitty.  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on champing her, especially after getting the Royal Talon support and her costume from the Wakanda vault.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Straycat

You buy the black and don't look back.  I'd go full bore and champ.  Or wait til you pull your next hoard and BH her.  I guess it all depends on how bad you want her.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Straycat

You buy the black and don't look back.  I'd go full bore and champ.  Or wait til you pull your next hoard and BH her.  I guess it all depends on how bad you want her.
    I think that's what I would do. Buy the black.  If you have a hoard you plan to bust anytime soon, I would BH her since you'd have a 2/3 chance of champing w/o waste.