Vraska, Golgari Queen Help

Options
Walker
Walker Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
Has anyone been able to build a good strong Deck with her? I can't seem to do anything good with her. I'm definitely losing more games than I'm winning. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Try focusing on the colors instead of the abilities.  Green-Black is a very potent pair.
    Graveyard shenanigans are especially good
  • sjechua
    sjechua Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Are there any ideas in this thread that might help you @Walker?
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75875/vraska-golgari-queen-official-thread
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You've got the wrong Vraska, it's that simple. She just isn't good. I like Vraska 1,she excels at countering out enemys control, aggro and combo setups. V2 can do the same, but not as good.
    If you want to play her effectively.. Creatures with low P/T that get buffed by ETB or other effects are more or less immune to the downside of her first ability. Deinforcing doesn't debuff. Also, graveyard stuff is a natural pairing. Lots of stuff to fill the gy and get it back again in green and black
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, here's some problems with Vraska 2 and why I usually don't bother with her unless I need both of them in one event:

1) Her first two abilities are contradictory: The first ability essentially asks you to play tokens (to reduce the backlash you get by losing reinforcement), but the second ability requires you to play creatures, and on top of that it needs too much buildup and dies to Mnemonic Betrayal among other things.

2) Her 3rd abillity may be inevitable, but it requires way too much setup (she can't run Squee or Murder Investigation, both of which may help).

3) Considering her poor abilities, her mana gains are rather poor. Oh, sure, +4 on her main colors, but unlike Saheeli, nothing else.

I do admit that BG combination is potent since it has both ramp and excessively powerful kill spells (looking at you, Plague Wind), but frankly, prioritize on Vraska 1 instead; she's more useful.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Her advantages just don’t compensate for her disadvantages.  If I had it to do over I probably wouldn’t get her.
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Savra+Saproling/Slimefoot tokens have been the only way to make her 1st useful consistently. From a bit of testing. But any deck with those will heavily go against her second.

Just glad I got her when I had an excess of crystals
    Edit: Just use Vicious Offering from a -/- effect.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Savra+Saproling/Slimefoot tokens have been the only way to make her 1st useful consistently. From a bit of testing. But any deck with those will heavily go against her second.

Just glad I got her when I had an excess of crystals
    Edit: Just use Vicious Offering from a -/- effect.

Savra is really key because of Vraska's first ability, but the 4 life part works with Oathsworn Vampire and it brings them back from the graveyard BEFORE removing a reinforcement to draw a card (Need space in hand though).

Other thoughts would include the graveyard card that makes zombies when things lose reinforcements, so you end up losing nothing.

2nd ability I've only used in emergencies. 3rd is pretty nice. I was trying to work out a way to do complete black control and denial and win creatureless with just the third. Doable in Legacy with Curses and things but there isn't heaps in Standard that is playable. 
  • BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Some minor tweaks to her abilities would go a long way to making her more fun to play. If they changed the "lose a reinforcement," to "discard a creature" and removed the wonky "creature on the board and damage" requirement for the ultimate it would be a good start. I also think the ultimate damage should correlate to the amount creatures in the graveyard. 1/2 or so.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unfortunately, they won’t make any of those changes.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options

It is not a Tier 1 (what non-blue deck is), but I have found this Vraska 2 deck enjoyable:

Hatchery Spider

Underrealm Lich

Muldrotha

Growing Rites

Journey to Eternity

Gather the Pack

Assassin's Trophy

Connive

Reclaim

Thunderherd Migration

JtE, Hatchery Spider, Reclaim can be pretty explosive. Muldrotha gives you access to one heck of a toolbox once you start filling your graveyard. 

Vraska's abilities aren't great. The only one I really use is her A2.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BigSwifty said:
    Some minor tweaks to her abilities would go a long way to making her more fun to play. If they changed the "lose a reinforcement," to "discard a creature" and removed the wonky "creature on the board and damage" requirement for the ultimate it would be a good start. I also think the ultimate damage should correlate to the amount creatures in the graveyard. 1/2 or so.

Since they started doing "lose a reinforcement" type things they've added a few every set. So I suspect that in the future she'll get better automatically.

I think a good place to fix things is with the 2nd ability. -x/-x to a creature or -x shields from a support or if that can't be done add to the end "move x cards from your library to your graveyard".

Doesn't change her focus or overpower her, just makes things always usable.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You want a combination of creatures that can stick to the board and creatures you can lose. 

Darigaaz and Despoiler of Souls work for the first option. Ochran Assassin and Poison-Tip Archer work for the other. Glowspore Shaman is another good card for her since it puts the creatures directly into your graveyard, same with Underrealm Lich.

Usually I just run little guys that are expendable with one big guy who sticks around and wait till I can pull off her third ability since it basically acts like a 1 power creature that reinforces itself every turn. Once you get that support it speeds things up pretty nicely. 
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, her third ability is awful but I have okay success with her, this is my deck

Wand of Vertebrae

Glowspore Shaman

Ochran Assassin

Swarm Guildmage

Mausoleum Secrets

Molderhulk

Daggerback Basilisk

Slice in Twain

Necrotic Wound

Rupture Spire