Options

Comments

• Lukeslad
    Lukeslad Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Lukeslad said:
    MPQ logic be like:
    A shirtless dude? Sure, have some Iron Fist and Namor. More to come soon.
    Showing a female midriff? GOD FORBID

Really? Are you, by any chance, familiar with the history of female objectification in comic books? A bit of prudence when it comes to new mpq characters is probably a good idea.  We already have moonstone and Yelena if you really want to oggle some drawings but bizarrely don't have access to Google.
    Sorry for getting me wrong, I'm totally against the objectification and the oversexualized heroines in skin-tight bodysuits and exaggerated curves sicken me. I certainly don't want MPQ to be like these Japanese games where all the females wear ridiculous skimpy outfits with massive ****. But I feel like i.e. Emma Frost or X23 could get their crop tops without causing much fuss. I guess I know what I'm talking about since I write stories myself and I got to study something about the fine line between making a female character acceptably revealing and objectivized/oversexualized.
  • zippee
    zippee Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    He's face looks like he's releated to spock from star trek. "Captain our sensors indicate we are not a 5 star!"
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on the topic of Namor.

If you wish to discuss the topic of objectification of women in games/comics then please start a new discussion thread, although please ensure that all comments are appropriate and constructive. Thank you!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Green might hit decently hard, but it's basically a less good version of imhb red (has a theoretically higher damage/ap, but only if you get a favorable board. His purple will help keep blue on the board, but I think you need 12+ before you start getting a worthwhile damage/AP ratio). Random boardshake is nice of course, but as noted above, it will never clear the corners, and it will also dampen the damage from second castings when the player does get a blue-filled board. And's very expensive too.

Surgical Strike is probably a better comparison.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Green might hit decently hard, but it's basically a less good version of imhb red (has a theoretically higher damage/ap, but only if you get a favorable board. His purple will help keep blue on the board, but I think you need 12+ before you start getting a worthwhile damage/AP ratio). Random boardshake is nice of course, but as noted above, it will never clear the corners, and it will also dampen the damage from second castings when the player does get a blue-filled board. And's very expensive too.

Surgical Strike is probably a better comparison.

True, that is a great comparison.  And while I have great memories of surgical strike when it had AP shenanigans back in 2015, it's a mediocre power these days.  It's not bad, but I no longer want to build my team around it.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3/5/5
    If only there was a reverse version of 3* doom’s blue power. Then I could see this being quite good with domino as well maybe.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nope. Namor is garbage. Had to give Emma someone to hang out with in the whole OP in source but trash in game clubhouse. 
    Tinykitty shame on you devs. GED and Namor = headshaking mediocrity. But it's really a kick in the pants for players who have been clamoring for these characters.

Malcrof said:
    Looks like Namor will be fun with reed, all those free powers!
    Why? Just because he has expensive powers?
    He doesn't generate specials to work with Reed's stun, he uses black same as Reed, and I don't see how he would especially be benefiting from Reeds weak sauce burst heal? His board shake would destroy the specials you want to be matching more likely than getting free powers from a lucky cascade. and if you chase blue for Reed's stun then your not leaving them on board to capitalize on Namors conditional nonsense.

Meh Hulk is sooooo much better an option w/ reed. geez Emma Frost would be a better match for trying to get expensive powers out for free....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't know what to think about this moveset - he kind of reminds me of something between Kraven and Main event for power cost, but without really the interesting parts of either one. The powers all strike me as being very expensive for what it sounds like they do.

I have a hard time seeing a timeline where I would bring him in to a fight over say Vulture, or Gwenpool who has similar power costs and the same color spread, but is both more interesting and has an AoE on green. 

Black - there aren't too many characters who can inject AP into an opponent. Ares and Panth3r are the only two I can think of. But it only does a single one, and black at that, so it's not like you could pair him with say Mordo to fatten the calf and use Power with Purpose.

Green - i like novelty board shake powers personally, but this one costs a ton and doesn't seem that good. it would be ideal if this had some kind of Little Bit of Both to it, and would break anything that wasn't blue so it got better turn-on-turn. Or could result in more match-5 capability with the resulting leftovers that should be largely blue

Purple - is this better than running him with Nightcrawler and just Bamf!-ing your way to a blue board?

Maybe Mockingbird/Nightcrawler as his team? A lot of purple overlap, but if you use Nightcrawler to flood the board with whatever you can arrange (green or black to fire powers, or blue to stack damage), he also gives you a blue outlet that is pretty good. Mockingbird has a solid red nuke plus with all that blue you're trying to leave on the board, you're probably going to end up leaving some match-4s for the enemy to take. It's a gimmick team, but that's kind of my jam i guess
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    purplemur said:
    Nope. Namor is garbage. Had to give Emma someone to hang out with in the whole OP in source but trash in game clubhouse. 
    Tinykitty shame on you devs. GED and Namor = headshaking mediocrity. But it's really a kick in the pants for players who have been clamoring for these characters.

I saw a comment in the MPQ reddit that I wholeheartedly agree with: ever since the devs released character-specific supports, it seems as though almost all the characters that have such supports have been relatively mediocre. Just look at the Victorious support: why couldn't Victorious' perks just have been given to GEDoom right from the start? Why take them away from Doom, and give them to a support that the majority of the playerbase is unlikely to have access to?

Domino and Bishop, thankfully, were spared from this, as they don't have character-specific supports. Likewise Kitty; even though she has Lockheed, she's still plenty good enough without him.

Just to link the recent 5* with their character-specific perks, and how much better they would be if this was part of their moveset right from the start:

Wasp - Wasp Gauntlets. When Wasp makes a match-5 she has a chance to create a Swarm tile. If she simply created a Swarm tile on every match-5, it would speed up activation of Call the Swarm.

Loki - Mirror Image. Deals damage when Loki's Feign Death trap is matched. Eh...okay this doesn't really increase his viability.

Kitty - Lockheed. At the start of the battle, create a Protect tile for every X-Men on the team. Assuming this takes Kitty into account, it can speed up her tile boosting. Grockitty would be even more scary than it is now.

Cable - Hope Summers. Chance to deal damage whenever the enemy team matches a Charged tile. If this was a passive that always dealt damage, it would punish opponents for getting first dibs on the Green Charged tiles Cable creates, and make his Blue less sucky.

Fatpin - Vanessa Fisk. Chance to reduce the strength of an enemy Attack tile when KP makes a match. Simply make this a passive that reduces enemy S/A/P whenever KP makes a match-4 or greater, which would lessen the drawback of his Blue.

Doom - Victorious. When Doom heals his allies, deal damage to the enemy team. This would greatly improve his Yellow, as well as give an AoE on a colour that has only two other AoEs (Agent Venom and First Avenger).

So what support is Namor going to have? A perk that increases his chance to create Blue tiles? Another perk that has a chance of destroying more than 5AP in the enemy's strongest colour, or also destroys AP in another colour?
    Actually Cloak & Dagger have an AOE on yellow but it is conditional on the other team having no specials, otherwise it hits only the target (and removes specials).
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby
    Can you provide any information about the Beginner Support Tokens that will be in the Namor and Friends vault?  Will they be:
    1.  The same as the old Support tokens, pulling from the pool of 18 Supports that we had since last May, or
    2.  The current Support store tokens, pulling from the pool of Select 16 Supports?

I ask because I pulled a Beginner Support token from the DPvMPQ vault today, which still accessed the old Support Store.
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OJSP said:
    bluewolf said:
    @Brigby
    Can you provide any information about the Beginner Support Tokens that will be in the Namor and Friends vault?  Will they be:
    1.  The same as the old Support tokens, pulling from the pool of 18 Supports that we had since last May, or
    2.  The current Support store tokens, pulling from the pool of Select 16 Supports?

I ask because I pulled a Beginner Support token from the DPvMPQ vault today, which still accessed the old Support Store.
    DP vs MPQ started before the update, so the tokens still have the old odds/pool.
    Ah. That happened to me as well so this explanation makes sense.  
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It’s mr. Spock... in speedos... with a trident... quick, call Shatner🖖
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Whew you guy's really never fail to disappoint lately and that's really an achievement.

-Namor's Mercy: Drop this cost to 8 and get rid of the "then the enemy team gains 1 back", what even? 

-Imperius Rex!: Drop to 10 cost, I don't care that it can board shake, at 12 cost that damage it incredibly wimpy for a single target, high cost, conditional damage power.

-Atlantis Attack: Fine, really the only reason you would even consider using this guy.

Come on seriously, MAKE HIM SCARY, he has the potential to be but it's like you guys pulled out at the last minute and made him so slow to even consider using and not even scary to fight.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After using Namor in Shield Training, I find his purple ability weird.

Atlantis Attacks - 9 purpletilepng AP
    The Sub-Mariner uses ancient Atlantean technology to unleash a tidal wave upon the surface world. Convert 3 basic tiles to Blue. If there are 10 or more Blue tiles remaining after any matches are made, deal 1100 damage to the enemy team.

His AoE processes at the same time when you fire his power even if there isn't any match made, provided that there are 10 blue tiles or more on the board.

His Imperius Rex moves around, but it seems that it will always be the shape of trident. 

Because of Domino, the first ability that I always fire is Namor's black ability.

His purple power might be unreliable. It would be better if there are fewer blue tiles so that the randomness of blue tiles creation won't cause a blue match-3 and reduces the number of blue tiles on board to fewer than 10.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Namor feels like he came out of the gate with all the problems Thing has - relatively low damage for high power costs, but without the gimmick yellow that makes Thing worth rostering. I was shocked how often I was able to use his powers, but I guess that's what happens when you give him two wingpersons that create black like nobody's business. Domino/C&D are upper mid-tier at least on their own, and I found that I would rather prioritize their better, cheaper powers once I'd seen Namor's animations.

The power descriptions have fun flavor, but he just doesn't have any teeth. I do like the art, he really looks like Namor. I'm pretty happy with my Shield Training haul as well - got a Main Event and a Moon Knight for my trouble.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Domino is a slayer, I don't know if y'all caught on to that yet lol. 

@Brigby is there going to be an & Friends vault, or does that not happen when releases share tokens with the story store?