card effects: needed animations and superfluous animations

andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
Being able to choose how much animations you want to see is a good step in the right direction, but the choices made what to show and what not are counter productive:

Needed animations: 
spells supports and creatures played by the opponent.
Also the cards you draw yourself (think of playing BFZ: know what is drawn gives you the insight what to play and what to pause.

Unnecessary animations: tokens spawing after the first (the reinforce animation is sufficient),
the big long streams of loyalty created by huatli. (just do it all in one go, or maximise it at 5 loyatly per animation),
end of game animation where you have to click on the amount of ribbons your earned, 
and the new player experience animation you have to click.

can we move some stuff around in the "no visual aid" setting?

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Disagree only on the enemys creatures (they pop up on the battlefield anyway), and partly on the own cards drawn (seeing them for around 1/5th of the time you see them now would be perfect), but that's personal taste.totally agree on the rest - especially the tokens and loyalty streams.. Mana streams could be cut as well although they're not that annoying.
  • Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Important animations:
    - cards played (only the card itself, not its effect) 
    - gem movement 
    - creature attacks (with a max of 3 creatures these arent really a problem anyway ) 

Superfluous:
    - anything secondary to cards/triggers
    -- mana/loyalty gains
    -- tokens spawning
    -- creature/support destruction
    -- mana drain
    -- buffs/ability gains

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    I agree with almost everything above. You do need to see what cards you draw or it would make some decks very difficult to play properly. I like the sped up booster pack opening idea, if i just hold my finger down it shows a quick glimpse of the card and moves on.

I don't think we need to see an opponent's creature card because it's pretty obvious when one shows up on the board. Supports are less obvious and spells are a total mystery so I wouldn't mind being able to have those pop up briefly and auto-dismiss just like with the card draw suggestion.

Token reinforcements however are a terrible terrible thing. If i cast March of the Multitudes with full mana, it should plop a 12/12 soldier token into play with an 11x. I don't need an animation showing it be reinforced 11 times. The same goes for loyalty and to a lesser degree spell and mana streams. Sure they look pretty the very first time you play the game but after years, they are just tedious time wasters. I like starfall's suggestion for a flash effect for damage and lifegain, the same could be applied to loyalty and mana gains.
  • uthread
    uthread Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2019
    I agree! Especially the mana/loyalty effects. And please turn off or speed up the draw card animations.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not greedy. Just getting rid of token animations and loyalty streams would go a long way towards making me happy.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    madwren said:
    I'm not greedy. Just getting rid of token animations and loyalty streams would go a long way towards making me happy.
    I'll wish for a streamlining of the end of game screens too: i'm always impatiently tapping my screen at that point.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    The token quickening definitely is a must to have. Currently, only newer tokens (such as Nissa's Elemental and the Lifelink Soldiers) have this fast effect, while the other tokens still slog through, which is kinda annoying.

Also, I personally would advocate that the game tone down the trail of light effect, such as when your spells buff ALL your creatures, Approach of the Second Sun damage/drain effects etc. Could help speed up the game (and reduce processing strain, methinks)
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler

I am quite satisfied with the current system. my quality of life has improved a lot and bugs also subsided without the pop ups
  • Mobyslick
    Mobyslick Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    I'm on board with most of these ideas, but I'm not sure why players need to see an animation and popup for the cards we draw. For most seasoned players I would say that we almost always slide open the hand every turn anyway, where you can see the card you just drew. After all, card draws throw a random card at the end; you probably need to move it to an optimal position in your hand, or disable it in some cases (you don't want to cast it yet or in the case of a creature card you want to hold on to, be spammed by being asked for "replace creature" constantly). Is there a situation where not seeing the popup is going to be a strategic disadvantage? I can't think of one... some of you diehards want to demonstrate one?
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mobyslick said:
    I'm on board with most of these ideas, but I'm not sure why players need to see an animation and popup for the cards we draw. For most seasoned players I would say that we almost always slide open the hand every turn anyway, where you can see the card you just drew. After all, card draws throw a random card at the end; you probably need to move it to an optimal position in your hand, or disable it in some cases (you don't want to cast it yet or in the case of a creature card you want to hold on to, be spammed by being asked for "replace creature" constantly). Is there a situation where not seeing the popup is going to be a strategic disadvantage? I can't think of one... some of you diehards want to demonstrate one?
    Yes, when you are using cards in your deck like days undoing, BSZ, BtB.... Or when using card draw like nissas revelation or prism array with green gem convertors. Basically any loop decks where you may not want to cast certain cards right away before other cards, midloop.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I'm less concerned about the pop-ups, but I would love the ability to choose to select 0 cards. There are times when those next four cards are exactly where I want them to be.
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:
    Why does using the Surveil ability come with two dialogue popups? There is one to select whether or not you want to Surveil, and another to select the cards you want to Surveil. Why not just use the second one, and allow the player to select 0 cards if they don't want to Surveil?
    There would be a difference between not surveiling and surveiling 0 cards for things triggering off surveil. But 0 should totally be an option when we are at the 4-card surveil popup, though that is another issue...