Best and Worst Rogues Galleries in Comics

2»

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

I actually wrote an article on this topic once, if anyone wants to check it out:

https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/05/26/stew-for-five-best-rogues-galleries-in-comics/

Now who has the WORST rogues gallery is hard. Wonder Woman would be up there, maybe. Does Martian Manhunter even have rogues? Aquaman.

In Marvel, I might think Iron Man, yeah. And Hulk, possibly.

You just had to have a link in there to something about Red Lantern Cat, didn't you. Welp, now I'm going to be useless for the rest of the day :(
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,043 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

I actually wrote an article on this topic once, if anyone wants to check it out:

https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/05/26/stew-for-five-best-rogues-galleries-in-comics/

Now who has the WORST rogues gallery is hard. Wonder Woman would be up there, maybe. Does Martian Manhunter even have rogues? Aquaman.

You just had to have a link in there to something about Red Lantern Cat, didn't you. Welp, now I'm going to be useless for the rest of the day :(
    My first introduction to said Cat was via Injustice 2 on the PS4 and now I hate that cat because my 8 year old constantly spams his attacks, which appear to be cosmicly powered balls of fire emanating from his butt...
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Daredevil

Kingpin, Bullseye, Elektra, Typhoid Mary... classic iconic villains

Then you have the people who were jokes but became kind of awesome due to good writing in Purple Man, Gladiator, Stilt Man. 

Then there’s people that you can’t even say with a straight face like the Owl (I know they tried to modernize him but he’s still a freaking owl), The Ox, Leap Frog, Matador (who used his cape to disorient DD’s radar sense- just like a bull), Joker... err... Jester, Mr; Fear.  

So Daredevil has some of the best AND worst (mostly worst lol). 

Seriously @Dormammu convinced me the X-men have the best. Well written!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,043 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kingpin - Spider-Man villain, until Frank Miller
    Elektra - Frank Miller
    Bullseye - lame until Frank Miller

Was there ever more a match made in heaven than Frank and Ol Hornhead?

Daredevil sure did struggle when he was just a Spidey-lite clone.

I quite liked some of Ann Nocenti's Rogue gallery such as Typhoid Mary, Bullet and Bushwacker though. Then she got super weird.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Top 5 Spider-Man Villains

1 Green Goblin: The father of your best friend, plus he kills your first love after you've been unlucky with girls your whole life? That's drama. His Jeckyll/Hyde persona adds to the soap opera.

2 Doctor Octopus: Those arms of his are great, a perfect counter to Spider-Man's abilities. His maniacal obsession with Spider-Man is interesting. Remember when he was so broken by it that even a spider on the wall sent him into the fetal position? It was so bad, Reed Richards had to play psychiatrist to try and cure him, because they needed Ock's brilliant mind to help solve some problem. Plus he dated Aunt May! Ouch.

3 Hobgoblin: The Hobgoblin Saga was probably the best Spider-Man story arc I've ever read. For four years readers were dying to know who this guy was.

4 Venom: He stole Spider-Man's costume. He is Spider-Man, only more formidable in every physical way. He was so scary, Mary Jane couldn't bear to see Peter in his black costume.

5 Kraven: He killed Spider-Man! Well, sort of. Then he took his prey's mantle. Kraven is a total bad-tinykitty.

Honorable Mention JJ Jameson: Has a hero ever had a thorn as large as ole JJ? Or one as untouchable? Spidey can't fight this guy with fists.

The next 5: Lizard, Vulture, Mysterio, Sandman, Carnage

The next 5 after that: Scorpion, Electro, Shocker, Rhino, Chameleon

I could keep going but this is a pretty good list. The great thing about Spider-Man's villain's are that so many of them are very personal. They are people Peter knows, or they are connected very closely to people he cares about. His struggle with them is more than the fisticuffs, it is a personal struggle in his head as well. Imagine having to fight your roommate or your favorite teacher. That's Peter's hard-luck. It never goes easy for him.
    Interesting list! Although it's intriguing that you left Morlun and the Inheritors off the list and also the Jackal. I take it you are not a fan of the Clone Saga or the Spider-Verse stuff?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

Dex-Starr is his name, and he is hype!

On topic: Spider-Man definitely.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find it slightly ironic that Rogue's Rogues Gallery is essentially non-existent.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting list! Although it's intriguing that you left Morlun and the Inheritors off the list and also the Jackal. I take it you are not a fan of the Clone Saga or the Spider-Verse stuff?
    No.
    I find it slightly ironic that Rogue's Rogues Gallery is essentially non-existent.
    She's a former villain. They don't get rogues galleries. They ARE rogues galleries. So Rogue is a rogue gallery, or in one... wait, what was I talking about again?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...a gallery of Rogue. Which artist has drawn her the best... ?
    Jim Lee, no question.