500 CP is not a bad deal

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    bbigler said:
    -so that's why I'm tired of the gamble and would rather spend the same amount of CP for a gauranteed cover. 
    I would generally agree, but 500 CP is too much IMO.  This statement to me is like, "I'm tired of entering a bunch of raffles to win a Corvette, I'll just go spend $75,000 and buy it instead" and just like that idea it's certainly not something that would be sustainable for most people to do regularly.

I'd me more likely to do it though if it was an extremely high amount of HP instead of CP, even 10K HP.  Trading a 40-pack for a guaranteed 5* is much better than trading a guarantied 20-25 4* or better, with estimated odds of ~3 of those being 5*s..
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Vins2 said:
    The only time it'd be worth it, is if it's a good skill.  If you're at 10-12 covers already, you can raise that character to a decent enough level.  Nothing happens at 450, just the champ rewards.  Going from 4 Court Deaths to 5 is a big deal.   Going from 12 to 13 covers, with that last one being Come and Get me, is not.  Same with Thor's green, or Okoye's black or Bolt's black. 
    Except that once you get that 13th cover and champ the character, you can re-spec. I've never coughed up the 250/500CP, but I did swap three saved Thanos covers for the final one needed to champ him, and could then re-spec Court Death to 5. With a 3/3/5 Kitty I'm vaguely tempted by the yellow cover currently in HfH, but I'm still waiting and hoping on a feeder. I could imagine paying the 250CP, but for 500 I'd generally rather take my chances with 20 pulls.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    @AardvarkPepper

Yeah, you gotta hoard.  And I am OK with it.  It's the most effective way to cover 5s.  But hoarding is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring.  But you have to do it.

I still can't get over the cost per cover to get a character to 13 covers.  Makes no sense to me.  I'm currently at 1100 CP.  To think how much I had to play to get that CP and it barely buys 1x 5* cover :neutral:

• Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    abenness said:
    My 3/4/0 Kitty was not entertained by the deal

To be very clear, 500 CP (or 720 CP) is too much for me. But when a future “classic” H4H is a Red for 250 CP, it would very much be a mistake to pass on that if you are in the same position.
    I don't plan on letting that happen haha. That store does come up I'm making sure I have cp left
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    bbigler said:
    -so that's why I'm tired of the gamble and would rather spend the same amount of CP for a gauranteed cover. 
    I would generally agree, but 500 CP is too much IMO.  This statement to me is like, "I'm tired of entering a bunch of raffles to win a Corvette, I'll just go spend $75,000 and buy it instead" and just like that idea it's certainly not something that would be sustainable for most people to do regularly.

Lol I get your point, but that example is a bit much. Who enters a raffle like that expecting to win?
    I'd use a crane game as the analogy. Would you rather pump $20 worth of quarters into a crane game trying to win a hat or just buy the hat. And if there is one specific hat you want but you might end up winning a different one, just buying it could be worth your time, money, and peace of mind.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    If you spent $75,000 on raffles and still didn't win a Corvette, you would be angry. In my situation, it's like I spent $300,000 on raffles and still didn't get the Corvette. If you have $75,000 and really want a Corvette, then what's wrong with just buying it? Or would you rather have 5 Corollas?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    I get the points on the bad analogy.  It's hard to compare to real life because Video Games are about the only facet in life where RNG is the primary means of acquiring items and spending is the outlier.  On second thought, let us not go to Video Games, tis a silly place.

@bbigler nothing is wrong with it.  I'm not meaning to imply that it's bad to do so or someone is wrong to do so.  I noted above if someone really wants it that bad they should buy it.  But for the whole of the game/people in it for the long haul, IMO it's a bad deal.  
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    I envy that you guys can even save up 500 CP. Once I get to 25 CP I HAVE to spend it. I'm far too indulgent.
    I'm worse off than that. Once I hit 20 I'm spending.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I normally wouldn't buy a 500cp cover (or a 250cp one, for that matter) but with my Kitty at 0/4/2 I paid up for her yellow. I'm a 4* player and I really needed that yellow... Two considerations tipped my scale: (1) Kitty's pretty unusual in being so useful even unchamped to players like me, and (2) other than the newest ones, my 4*s are fully covered so I'm feeling a bit less compelled to consider how many foregone LL pulls 500 cps represents.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    In a raffle you have a chance of not winning anything. If you spend 500 cp in Latest or Classics you always get something and that 20 or 25 times (perhaps even a BH). There's a pretty good chance you don't get what you wanted most, but all the rewards you do get certainly aren't a waste. I'd always choose to go for the many pulls.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    500 CP for a cover is an awful, terrible deal. Especially when placed in perspective. 

3 years ago this month, D3 eliminated the option to buy covers using HP. As long as you had one cover in each color, you could spend money and fully cover a 4* character. One cover was 2500 HP. Whaling a character cost $100 during a sale, and otherwise $150 with some spare left over for shield hopping. 

Since you can't do that now, obviously, you would have to use cp, and you can max a character for the low cost of 1200 cp. Those come with HP packs at a rate of 7 per $100. 

Let's not even get into the amount of time, money, or combination of the two it takes to get your 5* champed right away. 

The economy of this game is seriously screwy. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Anon said:
    I envy that you guys can even save up 500 CP. Once I get to 25 CP I HAVE to spend it. I'm far too indulgent.

The bigger the pile, the easier it is to keep adding to it. I am up past 6K CP at the moment, but I know that when I start using them I won't be able to stop...

Last time I really saved was when the latest 5*s were all meh. Can't remember who it was now...