Token goals

bigheroslix
bigheroslix Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
edited January 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm rubbish at hoarding token. Generally I open as I get them. Currently I have no space for new heroes and lots still to get. I am trying to get to at least 100 before I start opening. I am at 18 and hopefully having it written here will help me. Anyone else struggle with this?

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Totally. I have the compulsion to open as soon as there is 1 there. 

Be strong, don't be weak like me. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. Buy HP to open up more slots.
    2. Stop opening tokens.
    3. Prioritise the characters that would be useful to your playstyle.
    4. Roster either 1* spiderman or 1* Jug and discard the rest of the 1*.
    5. Don't roster Bagman.

Cove wastes are common early in the game, so what you need to do is to prioritise. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    it gets easier the more you do it. have goals and be prepared for when you do break into your hoard. (roster slots and iso available)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    I've always opened as I went, and what happened to me was that I was forever dumping 2 and 3* characters to make room for weak 4s and 5s. I kept a flex-slot for the required 2* and 3* that I'd rotate out per story since they are given out early in progression. I could usually roster them in time to use them. Just never clear out your vine - there were alliance events where I'd roster a 1-cover required 3* with a few on the vine, sell them to do some other sub with a different 1-cover 3*, then put them back on the next day to do it over again lol. You can sort of do that with the 4*, but you typically don't get them till day 2 or 3. I don't encourage that as an optimal way to progress, but i did eventually roster everyone. You can follow along with my attempt to Open-as-I-go into 5* play here if you want:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76726/the-grand-experiment-can-you-transition-to-5-s-pulling-as-you-go-as-a-progession-only-f2p-player#latest
  • bigheroslix
    Thanks guys. I only have a 1* for ddq. Nearly all 3*. Think I will wait till the end of the PvP season as I should have a 10 pack hero tokens from ranking. So that's 11 days. Currently on 31 tokens.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trying the same thing myself, i use CP the second i have it, up to over 200 now, and it hurts not clicking them!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Do you know what is 2* farming? This strategy will be helpful in increasing all your resources.
  • bigheroslix
    I have been 2* farming for a bit now and am on my 3rd rotation. Very helpful
  • DjinnBabba
    DjinnBabba Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Hodor Hodor Hodor 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    honestly it's just no fun for me to spend months with no 4* progress so I don't hoard much- when a new 5* comes out I hoard CP to use in their special tokens , if I don't get 1 I hoard LT until the 5* is in latest and use them.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    honestly it's just no fun for me to spend months with no 4* progress so I don't hoard much- when a new 5* comes out I hoard CP to use in their special tokens , if I don't get 1 I hoard LT until the 5* is in latest and use them.
    if you open event tokens and heroics you still get 4* covers. plus whatever champ reward covers you get from 3* not to mention progression and placement rewards. it's not like there is no progression happening from hoarding lt's and cp.
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    I always spent as I went until about 8 months ago & the only hoarding I did was with taco tokens. I'm definitely a convert now. I spend a few LT just to get the new 5* for essential nodes unless they're particularly useful & go right back to hoarding. It's almost hard for me to spend LT/CP. 

As far as the OP roster concerns, if you have all the 3* & your 2* farm is cycling, you should be fine spending everything except LT/CP as you get it. The HP you get from the farm should keep you from having to worry about deleting a character to make room for another. Once you've got a few solid champed 3* I'd start pulling the 4* as long as you can afford to roster them then hoard again until you can buy more slots. Before long you'll have all the 4* rostered, too. That's what I'd do anyway.

Another thing to keep in mind is taking a hybrid approach. You could spend LT when you get them so you don't feel completely held back, but hang on to the CP. Remember that the special stores for new 5* have boosted odds on certain 4* as well & you can use your CP there to target some of the better 4s.
  • bigheroslix
    Thanks guys. Lots of useful advice. At 51 now.