The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2018 in Theories and Statistics
I've seen people on the forum casually chiming in that they pull Latest as they go, and stay current on new release 5*s, but I wanted to put it to the test for my own play habits. I typically spend all my CP on Classic Legends draws as soon as I have 20, and Legendary Tokens as soon as I get them as well. I have evey >1* character on roster save Kingpin who I missed out on at launch. I have every 4* rostered, all save Bishop and Prowler (and Taskmaster/Spider-Ham) at 10-13 covers. Most of my 5* characters are in the 4-6 cover range with a few notable exceptions that came at a time when I was on a 3 or 4* champing spree, like Gho5t Rider (7/3/3), Lumbercap (1/4/4), Jessica Jones (4/2/2), and 5* Lord (5/1/3), or RNG Heroes like Hawkeye who is 1/5/3 only from Classics. With Robbie Reyes being so well covered, I've started getting the itch to try and push a 5* over to champion, but I'm not willing to save up resources for 4-6 months to do it at the moment. I briefly considered going hard on Ghost Rider and setting Johnny Blaze as my BH, but i still need 35 covers to get what I need out of him. There are 2 4* GR covers still waiting in my lvl 192 The Hood, but that's kind of a long road for a middle of the pack 5* (even if he has cool art) that requires me to have a marginal 4* about 40 levels higher than any other 4* on my roster when the dust settles. 

So my plan is this: As soon as Kingpin lands in Latest Legends, I'm going to spend all my CP and LTs as I get them strictly in Latest Legends. I'll post the results of my draws here, and y'all are welcome to follow along or chime in.

I generally play SCL8 to progression (unless someone good is boosted, then I'll move up to SCL9) and PVP to at least 575 if not 900 at SCL9. I don't attempt placement in either mode unless I am trying to hang on to points to get my season 10-pack or it's a character release event, after that I just let it go wherever it ends up, typically t100. I close out DDQ every day and burn the taco tokens as I go as well, so if an LT comes from that I'll mention it. I'm a commander in a very casual alliance that typically feels proud of ourselves for getting a single 4* out of boss events, but somebody in there spends pretty regularly since we get 1-3cp pretty often. 

So when Kingpin hits the LL store tomorrow, I'll have 1 draw's worth of CP hanging around, but otherwise no hoard to speak of. I'm going to leave my 5* BH on Ghost Rider rather than shifting it to Kingpin, but I suspect it may be necessary to set your BH to whoever is leaving latest first if you really want to do it.  I'm certainly hoping for more Cable (1/1/0) and Kitty (1/1/0) covers before they go, but I don't have any expectation of covering them like this. I shifted into pulling only LTs maybe 2 weeks ago, and my Loki is up to 3/4/1 as he's about to leave latest. I had most of those covers already from LTs along the way, but I've gotten 2 purples this week for him. It really does feel like they throw whoever is leaving latest at you shortly before they leave - I used to have that same experience with 4*s when there was such a thing as the Latest 12. #CognitiveBias

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 4 replacement 3*s waiting to get rechamped, and about 20 4*s that are just waiting on iso to champ, so I should have a decent supply of LTs across this release.  I'm not going to walk my bonus hero around chasing LTs though, I'm just going to play how I play and see what comes of it.
    I should note also: I don’t reallly care if Kingpin is actually any good, this is just an opportune time to try this experiment with him entering latest and me being mostly resource-free.
  • BigSoftieFFBigSoftieFF Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Glad you made this thread. When I have time later I may post along with you.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,332 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for starting this! Since I got lucky, and have Kitty nearly covered via this method, I'll keep an eye on it and chime in as well if anything worth sharing comes up. I have actually been hoarding just a little, because I didn't get Kingpin from his Vault, and there's no way I'm completing Loki, so I've got 14 LTs waiting to pull when they rotate, but otherwise, yeah, I'm just pulling latest as I go, ftp, PvP to 575/900. I do play PvE somewhat more aggressively than just full Progression, but not to the point where I'm getting any more CP from it.
    edited 1 January 2019, 06:32
    I wonder if you aren’t earning 3* rewards at a meaningfully higher rate than I am though, and how that is going to factor in?
    Admittedly enough my situation is quite different but I’m still very interested in the thread. Heres a basic rundown of where I’m at and how I play:

PVE — SCL7 as optimal as possible and usually T5-T10. I may be moving to 8 very soon.
    PVP — 1200 minimum and usually higher. No worse than T25 with a smattering of T5’s.
    5* — 2 champed (literally just happened), 1 fully covered
    4* — 46 champed, 22 covered that need champing, the rest are all over 10 except Prowler at 3/3/3 and Bishop at 1/2/4
    3* — 32 at 266 and rostering dupes.

I stopped pulling when Okoye left LL as I already had Loki covered and didn’t want more covers that were just gonna be saved. Blew 1800/3000 CP I had hoarded in FL store and got lucky covering both Thor and Okoye which are my two champs.

When the tokens change I will have 118 LL tokens and around 2000 CP.

Current LL 5*’s will start:
    Kitty 1/1/0
    Cable 0/1/0
    Kingpin 0/0/0

Should be fun and I look forward to following your progress 😃
    edited 1 January 2019, 15:06
    I have 39 4* champs, 15 are at lvl 209, and only about 20 still need covers to get to 13. Most of the unchamped ones have at least 1 saved cover, some approaching 10 banked up. I’m at Day 1062, shield rank 124. 

I wasnt paying attention to where I was in Prodigal Sun, so as as of this morning I’m up to 50cp exactly from the 18cp reward and incidental drops from nodes/DDQ. 
    I wonder if you aren’t earning 3* rewards at a meaningfully higher rate than I am though, and how that is going to factor in?
    Good call. That may well be the case. I am ahead of you on 4*, with Prowler and Bishop as my only 4* with fewer than 12 covers, and all the rest leveled to 209 (or 210 if they have 13 covers, just to make it easier to keep them sorted). That would seem to indicate that I'm making more Legendary pulls than you. That said, I do only play SCL7 most of the time, so you are getting a few more CP every week from the 5* Essential nodes.
    edited 2 January 2019, 01:16
    There is more loose CP than that in the nodes from 7-8 btw, if you’re just playing to progression it’s definitely worth it to move up a tier in my experience.

i shot myself on the foot during my 4* transition thinking I was being pretty slick by gutting my 183+ lvl 3*s to make room for all the 4s and 5s, so I don’t think my roster is completely representative of what a day 1000+ roster should look like. So I have a whole crop of 20 or so 3s that are below the “sweet spot.”

There is more loose CP than that in the nodes from 7-8 btw, if you’re just playing to progression it’s definitely worth it to move up a tier in my experience.

i shot myself on the foot during my 4* transition thinking I was being pretty slick by gutting my 183+ lvl 3*s to make room for all the 4s and 5s, so I don’t think my roster is completely representative of what a day 1000+ roster should look like. So I have a whole crop of 20 or so 3s that are below the “sweet spot.”
    IIRC, the only difference in node reward CP is the 5* Essential node, which is 6-7 CP/week on top of the difference from Progression. I do play SCL8 sometimes, but for whatever reason, I find it takes me way longer, and I usually drop below T100, which cuts into my HP income substantially.
    I feel like it has a cp or two on nodes that don’t have it on 7, like the 4* required and the final node, but I may be mistaken. If you’re placing highly in subs every day don’t you get a little CP from that too?

8 does take longer than 7, but the full points in the 5e node mean you only need 4x clears to hit progression. I can t100 in 8 by doing 6x clears even reasonably far part from each other, but I don’t have a good ending time where I feel like doing the final grind and then spending the time in the following Initial clear. So I just settled into progression only.
    edited 2 January 2019, 04:58
    You definitely get CP for finishing well in subs and that includes SCL7. Unsure about the node CP though.
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,287 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* essential in CL7 gives 1CP.
    5* essential in CL8 gives 2CP.
    5* essential in CL9 gives 3CP.

@BigSoftieFF looking forward to your pulls. Post them when you're done!

Picked up 11cp from a 2* Thor and Ragnarok champ level, and got all today’s prodigal sun cp for a total of 65cp. The 10cp in jubilee’s pvp will have me at 75 tomorrow
    I feel like it has a cp or two on nodes that don’t have it on 7, like the 4* required and the final node, but I may be mistaken. If you’re placing highly in subs every day don’t you get a little CP from that too?
    Those nodes both have CP in SCL7, too. I'm pretty sure the 5*E is the only node where the rewards vary in any SCL. There is some CP available for sub placement, but only for T10, which I rarely make.
    edited 2 January 2019, 14:19
    Ugh. Just went through and created a GamePendium for my whole roster without being in Edit mode, so it kind of just...went away. So frustrating

My 5*s are all that are saved at the moment. Maybe I'll go back at lunch and re-do it.
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/m4x/
    Got the 10cp out of Here to Chew Bubblegum, up to 77. Kingpin appears to still not be in Latest for some reason. 
    edited 2 January 2019, 17:17
    Also, I set a stopwatch on my initial round of 4X clears for the Hell's Kitchen sub of Prodigal Sun SCL8 last night - using my current fast-clear team of (boosted) 5* Lord (5/1/3 lvl 345)/4ocket/Thano5 (5/0/2 lvl 345) it took me 41:48.  

I'd say this event for me is a middle-of the road clear time, since most of the nodes have a tile mover flanked with goons and no wave nodes. On the far end of the spectrum is something like Simulator where every node is a decently crafted team, and on the other something like Strange Sights where everything is some kind of minion based team. 

So basically it takes me around a single episode of some show I'd probably be watching anyway worth of time per sub playing only to progression. But PVP tends to be a time sink for me across the day - I don't use shields typically, so I usually climb till i run out of health, let it come back, and then try to push up to 900 fast enough to not need to shield again. My ability to do that depends heavily on the boost list.
    Took 3 draws at Kingpin: 

jubilee: yellow
    teen Jean: purple
    jubilee: yellow

this takes my jubilee from 3/4/3 to 5/4/3, and is my 7th saved for teen jean. I haven’t pulled a Jubilee since she was new really, and now 2 back to back during her PVP. 
    edited 3 January 2019, 01:17
    Well I unloaded my hoard and came out quite nice:

Kitty went from 1/1/0 to 5/5/3 +1 saved
    Cable went from 0/1/0 to 5/5/2 +2 saved
    Gru went from 0/0/0 to 1/2/3

31/198 5* pulls with two bonus, 7 bonus 4* covers and every 4* except Porker 2/3/5, Mordo 1/5/5, Taskmaster 3,4,4 and The Duck 4/3/5 are covered now as well

@BlackBoltRocks