Unloading the hoard, but how?

Options
Zirtak_the_Second
Zirtak_the_Second Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
edited December 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
So I started hoarding to make the jump to 5* land, like many people here. I started somewhere before Loki was released, spent 1000CP in the Loki vault to finish Thor as my first and still only champed 5* and now I am sitting on 350 pulls.

I was waiting to see if the newest 5* would be a meta breaker, but alas, it's Kingpin. Luckily, Thanos is featured in the new release vault. I have him waiting at 5/1/3, so champing him now is a no brainer. Doc Ock is collateral and some extra Kingpin covers are fine for his PVE nodes. Will spend about 70 pulls, which should leave me enough pulls for phase 2. Will use bonus heroes to champ him if 70 pulls aren't enough. 

Here's the question I'd like to pose:

Will I finish off Loki (2/2/0), Kitty (1/1/0) and Cable (0/0/1) and start hoarding again for the next 3 charachters including Kingpin [option 1], or shall I wait until Kingpin enters the packs and then finish him together with the previous two [option 2]?

Advantage for option 1: will hopefully champ all 5* charachters from Loki and up.
Disadvantage for option 1: will have to hoard again until Kitty leaves the packs (which will be around the time that meta breaking 5* Captain Marvel is released???)

Advantage for option 2: if the drop rates are against me, I can still finish any of the characters in time
Disadvantage for option 2: won't have Loki champed or nearly now that I still have a chance to get him there.

I'm thinking option 1, but you know, you guys are always good in giving advice, so why not take advantage of that?

Edit: so it's basically the same question as this thread that I hadn't seen before I posted this. Glad I'm not the only one with my hoard in a pickle.  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76473/kingpin-puts-the-hoard-in-a-pickle#latest

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Save your hoard for better characters. Kitty is pretty good but not outstanding. The other two seem to be mediocre.
  • Zirtak_the_Second
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Save your hoard for better characters. Kitty is pretty good but not outstanding. The other two seem to be mediocre.
    But but but I've been at a standstill for months now,the hoard must be blown. Got 2.6m iso saved up and all. And its almost Christmas. I can't help it that the game is throwing mediocre charachters at me, but I'll make due... And I'll be able to hoard for new characters anyway after this
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    But but but I've been at a standstill for months now,the hoard must be blown. Got 2.6m iso saved up and all. And its almost Christmas. I can't help it that the game is throwing mediocre charachters at me, but I'll make due... And I'll be able to hoard for new characters anyway after this
    When you only have a few fivestar Champs, it is important to make sure they are top notch. Once you champ your second fivestar you will be locked into fivestar MMR in PvP, and there's no going back short of Selling your fivestars, unfortunately. Do go for Thanos, he is still very good and he and Thor make a decent PvP team (they are not an optimal pair, but good enough). But keep stockpiling the rest of the pulls at least until you know what the next fivestar looks like - the one that should replace Kitty. 350 pulls should allow you to cover Three Latest fivestars, but if you blow 70 pulls on the store (which I Think you should) you will only have 280 pulls left which is a bit low to bust a hoard.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Do whatever you want.  The history of releases over the last year is not exactly filling me with confidence about a meta shake up.

When Thor was released, we had a store with DD, Gambit, and Thor.  They are/were all very good and useful in certain situations at least (DD) or meta defining.  That was probably the best store we've had, other than perhaps Strange/Thanos/Panther at the time.

Then we had Archie, Ghost Rider.  Blah, fine, kinda fun but not doing much.  JJ next, she shines to this day.  Cap is fun for bosses, not doing much else.   Okoye transforms everyone's roster, if they can get her.  Then:  Wasp, Loki, Kitty, Cable, Kingpin.  Kitty being the standout as a PVE performer. 

Hoarding seems kinda silly when there doesn't seem like much to hoard for.  My final point is, there hasn't been an "Awesome 3 Latests" store in year, and at the soonest, we could have one in 20 weeks (5 months), if the next 3 5's are all really good.  Which I remain very skeptical of.  So if that happens, that will mean approximately 17 months between stores where all 3 5's are top notch.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    350 is gonna be cutting it close.

i agree with your priorities.  Thanos should be a priority.  Getting 4 thanks out of 70 pulls should be makeable.

the tough question is what to do about the last 280 pulls.

your current situation of Loki 4,  kitty 2 cable 1.  Is actually decent.  Keep pulling until you pull 9 of one char.  Hopefully,  your Loki should be 11/12 covers.

i don’t know if you’ll get the right color spread.  But you should be able to get Loki to 13, kitty 11,  cable 10 covers

good luck it will be tight
  • lakantanz
    lakantanz Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kitty is amazing for pve, I'm clearing with her particularly quickly (though she is boosted the current event).  In pvp I would say she will shine anytime the featured character produces special tiles such as iron fist recently did.

Definitely dont write off kitty, she has outpaced my thor okoye team fairly regularly.  In the last event phase my team took a total of 5k damage from every single battle (pve).

Loki is pretty ho hum, cable might blossom but I still find I barely use him, this hoard will all be about how much you value Kitty.

I'm in the other end of the position, have Kitty, Loki champed and cable already at 10 covers.  It will be an awfully long time to wait for a new group, especially if i do decide to only get a sole cover of Kingpin.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Phumade (as always) and @Quebbster, great comments, thanks.

bluewolf said:
    When Thor was released, we had a store with DD, Gambit, and Thor.  They are/were all very good and useful in certain situations at least (DD) or meta defining.  That was probably the best store we've had, other than perhaps Strange/Thanos/Panther at the time.

Then we had Archie, Ghost Rider.  Blah, fine, kinda fun but not doing much.  JJ next, she shines to this day.  Cap is fun for bosses, not doing much else.   Okoye transforms everyone's roster, if they can get her.  Then:  Wasp, Loki, Kitty, Cable, Kingpin.  Kitty being the standout as a PVE performer. 

Hoarding seems kinda silly when there doesn't seem like much to hoard for.  My final point is, there hasn't been an "Awesome 3 Latests" store in year, and at the soonest, we could have one in 20 weeks (5 months), if the next 3 5's are all really good.  Which I remain very skeptical of.  So if that happens, that will mean approximately 17 months between stores where all 3 5's are top notch.
    This is genuinely insightful (from my POV). The part I bolded, might well push me to drop 720cp on a cover. I don't have any 5* champs. I have JJ covered and Okoye at 12 (unfortunately at a 5+5+2, not sure of the mix, disincentivizing bonus heroing her). I'm in no hurry for 5* transition (at the moment), but I might well drop 720 on Okoye if I'm read to pull the trigger and she's not...

I only say this bc the fact is CPs are a renewable resource. There comes a time when they're ready to spend. It seems profligate to do it -- but I spent 120 to champ Peggy as my second 4* champ and nothing, ever, was better spent than that!
  • Yepyep
    Options
    lakantanz said:
    Kitty is amazing for pve, I'm clearing with her particularly quickly (though she is boosted the current event).  In pvp I would say she will shine anytime the featured character produces special tiles such as iron fist recently did.

Definitely dont write off kitty, she has outpaced my thor okoye team fairly regularly.  In the last event phase my team took a total of 5k damage from every single battle (pve).

So I definitely play a lot of PvE. What is she worth, expense-wise, to get covered? Is she 1st, 2nd, or what-tier? Or maybe she sits outside a tier, like Thanos does, w/r/t PvE.
  • lakantanz
    lakantanz Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Shes currently sitting as 2nd tier due to her reliance on 4 stars to do her magic but could become first tier if a 5star comes along that can produce special tokens quickly.

That being said with groot, I was often doing 30~40k damage by the third turn this event.

She is buffed right now but even so, it shows her potential.

She is sorta her own beast right now, on the cusp of greatness.  So your talk of her being outside a tier sounds right.

That being said she could get hit with a nerf if a good 5 star arrives to pair with her.
  • Zirtak_the_Second
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, they are certainly helpful. I prioritize pve over pvp, so getting Kitty seems like a good thing, even if that means my new army of 5* troopers will be mediocre at best. On pvp I play for 16 wins or 575 points, whatever comes first. More often than not I'll hit that mark and then get punched in the face right back to 250 points. Sometimes I shield when I hit 900+ for easier season progression. Looking forward to loot my own stash tomorrow, I'll post the results here.

Edit: a bit disappointed that after such a long wait the newest 5* turns out that he was not worth it, again, but c'est la vie, at least my roster will finally make some progression again 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yepyep said:

bluewolf said:

This is genuinely insightful (from my POV). The part I bolded, might well push me to drop 720cp on a cover. I don't have any 5* champs. I have JJ covered and Okoye at 12 (unfortunately at a 5+5+2, not sure of the mix, disincentivizing bonus heroing her). I'm in no hurry for 5* transition (at the moment), but I might well drop 720 on Okoye if I'm read to pull the trigger and she's not...

I only say this bc the fact is CPs are a renewable resource. There comes a time when they're ready to spend. It seems profligate to do it -- but I spent 120 to champ Peggy as my second 4* champ and nothing, ever, was better spent than that!
    Honestly since you're not in a big rush to go to 5* land I would just hold on to the cp. With the saved covers system it just seems like a waste these days just for one cover. I'd just BH her and then maybe you'll get lucky and snag the last cover you need without dropping all of that cp.
  • Yepyep
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Yepyep said:

bluewolf said:

Honestly since you're not in a big rush to go to 5* land I would just hold on to the cp. With the saved covers system it just seems like a waste these days just for one cover. I'd just BH her and then maybe you'll get lucky and snag the last cover you need without dropping all of that cp.
    Oh, for sure! I didn't mean now. Just that if I were looking to jump to 5* it might be worth it right before pulling that trigger.

Ain't no hurry. That's the motto of this game, I've learned...
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You can allot 70 pulls into this store to try and get those last 4 Thanos covers, but you should also have a cutoff number ready in your head in case of bad rng.  it took me 57 pulls when Cable entered latest to get just one cover.  Bonus heroes can help too, depending on where your Gamora's at, and that'll at most account for one more cover in.  And at the 5 star level, I've personally averaged a 5 star BH once every 80 pulls. 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    shardwick said:
    Yepyep said:

bluewolf said:

Oh, for sure! I didn't mean now. Just that if I were looking to jump to 5* it might be worth it right before pulling that trigger.

Ain't no hurry. That's the motto of this game, I've learned...
    Just wait till she is required (and the right one) and buy it from H4H.
  • Alphateam
    Alphateam Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I've got about 350 pulls and the current 4 are kinda Meh. I'm hoping the next 5 star is going to be great, then I'd imagine we'd be ready for a Captain Marvel, then an Avengers themed character. They gotta make the last 2 amazing. Its gonna be hard, but I've waited this long. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As expected, I want to chime in on Kitty's greatness (which I predicted); in PVE my Kitty is boosted to 460, buffing for about 400 x 5 each turn. Combined with Grocket and 3*Thanos I was able to rank #5 against 5* rosters in SCL 8. She's not even fully powered and I ranked #5 after 2 sub events. That's a testament to her greatness.

On a regular basis, a champed Kitty, max champed Grocket and 5*Thanos would probably beat Thorkoye or any other PVE team. Of course, this team would murder Grocket, but it would be fast! Plus, you can use 3 supports which all fortify specials, just in case. 

Hopefully we'll get a 5* in the future that passively spams strike tiles easier than OML. That could change the meta.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

I thought this would be a discussion on how painfully slow it is to open multiple tokens.  So many taps/clicks to open tokens and apply covers.  Wish it was easier. 

Last couple of times I've done large token openings I've done in the office sorta paying attention and sorta just randomly tapping.  LT/CP I tracked if I get a 5 or 4 to see the % of 5s and BH but didn't do detail of the 4s I got.  I usually do 40ish at a time then go apply covers to break the monotony.  Took a while though.

• Zirtak_the_Second
    Options
    Alphateam said:
    I'm in a similar situation. I've got about 350 pulls and the current 4 are kinda Meh. I'm hoping the next 5 star is going to be great, then I'd imagine we'd be ready for a Captain Marvel, then an Avengers themed character. They gotta make the last 2 amazing. Its gonna be hard, but I've waited this long. 
    I wish I had your resolve. But I don't. Will I regret it in some months? Probably. Will I still go for my mediocre army? Aye sir.
    Punter1 said:

I thought this would be a discussion on how painfully slow it is to open multiple tokens.  So many taps/clicks to open tokens and apply covers.  Wish it was easier. 

I'm gonna enjoy every annoying tap until the very last one
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

One pull at a time. 
  • Zirtak_the_Second
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Did 42 pulls in Kingpin store with good results:

KP: 2/1/1
    Thanos: 0/2/0
    Ock: 0/2/0

Did 179 pulls in Latest store with good results

Kitty: 4/4/3
    Loki: 4/5/1
    Cable: 6/5/4

One red BH kitty, one black BH Thanos.

223 pulls in total, with 45 legendary pulls, making the draw slightly below 1/5.

The only downside on a very good draw: I have Loki sitting at 5/5/1. He can suck it, I'm not gonna waste any of my 4K remaining CP . Gonna get my last cover of Thanos tho. Be back in a jiffy.

Edit after the jiffy: did 10 more pulls, got a green KP and a purple Thanos. Mission accomplished. 3716 CP waiting for meta breakers.