Kingpin puts the hoard in a pickle

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Well, now my hoard is in a tough spot. I really, really want to get Kitty covered and have been hoarding to do so before she leaves latest, but I was waiting for Loki to leave the building. My hopes and prayers were that the 5-star to replace Loki would be hoard worthy but... I'm not convinced that is the case with Kingpin. If Cable was better I wouldn't think twice but I can't tell how good he is yet - not enough time has gone by where there's much player feedback on Cable. He seems middle of the road. I hate to blow the hoard for one character when the other two are mid-tier or worse. And it's not like Kitty is meta-defining herself.

So now the options are:
1 - Blow the hoard with Loki still in latest 3
2 - Blow the hoard with Kingpin in latest 3
3 - Maintain the hoard and miss on Shadowcat

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm also wondering about the hoard. Cable is very meh; his Blue isn't really all that good tbh.

At least Kingpin combos well with Kitty: Use Kitty to create Protect and/or Attack tiles, then use Kingpin's Blue. Which will then trigger Kitty's Purple. If you're really lucky, Kingpin's Blue and Kitty's Purple will both hit for their 13k damage in consecutive turns.

At least Kingpin's Green is better than Loki's. His Black...seems way too expensive. Honestly I think Archangel is a better Blue/Green/Black user than KP. And the soon-to-be buffed Doctopus might be as well.

@Dormammu looking at your roster, I'd say wait for Loki to leave. Partly because (as mentioned) Kingpin has a better green, partly because you already have a Purple user in Black Widow. Then decide if you want to complete Shadowcat
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you can’t run 5* sl with brocket, then kitty p4yde is a good 5* for your roster.  She solid for pve and will work well with 4* rocket
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Thanos is 1/5/5 +1, my Kitty is 3/3/2. I want both bad (and sadly Cable is already maxed +3). I have 300 pulls. Something tells me I’m going to end up with a ton of Kingpin as he is the constant in both vaults I’ll be busting my hoard in. 

Plan is:
    - Pull from Kingpin store, pray for a black Thanos; hopefully 2
    - If I can’t get a second black, try for two other colors so I can convert if needed. 
    - Switch to Latests, hope to finish Kitty and avoid Cable. 
    - If I can’t finish Kitty, hope she is in feeder range at least. 
    - If I can finish Kitty and get Thanos to 2/5/5 +3, I’ll go back to the Kingpin store and pull for another black so I don’t have to use saved covers for Thanos.
    - Ideally I’d max-cover Thanos, Kitty, and Kingpin (sure why not?) and be able to begin the hoard anew until Fisk is set to leave (this will require a ton of luck). 

We’ll see how it goes Thursday!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I stopped pulling once Loki was fully covered. My Cable is at 1/5/4 and Kitty is at 2/2/3. I don't really want any more levels on Loki (he's already my highest 5*), don't care too much about champing Cable (he's alight), don't care for Kingpin on paper, but I really want to champ Kitty. So I guess I'll be pulling once Kingpin enters latest and just hope for the best.
    It would be a lot easier if they announced some new feeders. Nightcrawler -> Kitty and Cyclops -> Cable seem like no brainers to me.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Well, now my hoard is in a tough spot. I really, really want to get Kitty covered and have been hoarding to do so before she leaves latest, but I was waiting for Loki to leave the building. My hopes and prayers were that the 5-star to replace Loki would be hoard worthy but... I'm not convinced that is the case with Kingpin. If Cable was better I wouldn't think twice but I can't tell how good he is yet - not enough time has gone by where there's much player feedback on Cable. He seems middle of the road. I hate to blow the hoard for one character when the other two are mid-tier or worse. And it's not like Kitty is meta-defining herself.

So now the options are:
    1 - Blow the hoard with Loki still in latest 3
    2 - Blow the hoard with Kingpin in latest 3
    3 - Maintain the hoard and miss on Shadowcat
    You’re telling me man. I’ve been hoarding cause I have Loki covered with 6 in the bank and am trying to enter 5* land. I really want Kitty but the other two are 🤷🏼‍♂️.

It would be nice to at least cover her then stop and hoard again. It’s pretty frustrating trying to get the right characters to move up 😑 
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm also wondering about the hoard. Cable is very meh; his Blue isn't really all that good tbh.

Who were you pairing with Cable?  I was very much looking forward to using him with Daredevil.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Loki is already champed, so I have been waiting for him to leave Latest too. I really want Kitty, so I will open once Kingpin is in the pool but perhaps only until I get Kitty champed.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personally I feel like I kinda have to spend some of my hoard on his special tokens, because my 2/4/5 Thanos is desperate for his last two covers and it could be my only chance of getting vaguely decent odds at them for years. If they'd just run these special tokens on a constant basis with a rotation for the three 5*s - like I keep suggesting - then maybe it wouldn't feel so forced. But as it stands, this seems like my best option, even with mediocre Kingpin and still-looks-pretty-useless Doc Oc in there with him.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same position, I have hoarded for Loki leaving and would like Kitty but not prepared to pull 2 low tier ones to get her. I will just have to go without. 

If they ever looked at feedback for new releases and tweaked them say for instance Loki’s green it was clearly too slow then I’d risk it. But when you know they are dead in the water for 2 years I’ve got to the point I will only pull for top tier. One cover is all I need and save 500k iso for someone else. I’m way past caring about champ them all for the five star tier.
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My suggestion would be to pull for Kitty since you have a champed JJ. JJ/Kitty/Valkyrie are JJ/Nico/Valkyrie on steroids. Just have to make sure red stays your strongest color and watch the strike tiles become unreasonably good. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think Kitty is really useful.  Champed for PVE with the right team she's gotta make it SUPER fast.  All of her powers are useful, especially in PVE.  Not sure how she breaks the PVP meta.  I can see her being great around level 350, fully covered, in 4* world PVP.

I've was able to use my 5/5/3 Cable in PVE.  So he was boosted to level 460.  His green is great in PVE, and would do quite well against 4* teams, but I struggle to see how his blue/green would work against 2x 5* and a champed boosted 4 in PVP.  Especially Thor/Okoye.  Meta is meta.  

Kingpin, sorry, I got no love for.  Seems like a flop to me.

I pulled the little I had left, finished some 4s, etc etc.

It's hoard for 5* Cap Marvel time.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It is very possible I am playing the game from a point of MPQ-Privilege, but so long as I focus on Latest I don't have any real trouble covering a 5* before they leave.  Of course, I get all the big CP rewards from PVP and PVE (always hit progression, rarely do better than top 50 for PVE or top 10 for PVP in placement,) so I'm sure that factors in.  So with me the choice to hoard is based on these three questions:

- Would I rather have covers for the oldest 5* in Latest or somebody new?

- How finished am I with the newer 5*s in the pool, and how much more fun will I have in PVE with them better covered?

I got a disappointingly low number of Okoye (she's 461 and I was literally pulling her until she was nearly completely out,) so I ended up with a lot of Wasp (459.)  When Wasp was out I wanted enough Kitty and Cable to actually get a feel for them (at least 5 covers,) but I stopped pulling when Loki hit 459 as well - I now have Kitty and 6 and Cable at 5.  At this point I'll probably finish Kitty when Loki goes out, probably Cable too, then either pull Classics or go back to hoarding.  As far as Kingpin goes, I'll probably finish him (knowing my luck, finish him along with Kitty and Cable, bleah.)  Unless any of his "Latest Littermates" are top tier, I'll probably just barely pull when they enter and fully cover them when Kingpin leaves...

I don't see any point in hoarding for the next top tier 5* - I'll get her when I get her and so long as I'm judicious, I will get her.  I may be the whipping boy for those who cover her instantly, but that's just 2-4 weeks...

#mpqfirstworldproblems

• Quebbster
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

It is very possible I am playing the game from a point of MPQ-Privilege, but so long as I focus on Latest I don't have any real trouble covering a 5* before they leave.  Of course, I get all the big CP rewards from PVP and PVE (always hit progression, rarely do better than top 50 for PVE or top 10 for PVP in placement,) so I'm sure that factors in.  So with me the choice to hoard is based on these three questions:

- Would I rather have covers for the oldest 5* in Latest or somebody new?

- How finished am I with the newer 5*s in the pool, and how much more fun will I have in PVE with them better covered?

I got a disappointingly low number of Okoye (she's 461 and I was literally pulling her until she was nearly completely out,) so I ended up with a lot of Wasp (459.)  When Wasp was out I wanted enough Kitty and Cable to actually get a feel for them (at least 5 covers,) but I stopped pulling when Loki hit 459 as well - I now have Kitty and 6 and Cable at 5.  At this point I'll probably finish Kitty when Loki goes out, probably Cable too, then either pull Classics or go back to hoarding.  As far as Kingpin goes, I'll probably finish him (knowing my luck, finish him along with Kitty and Cable, bleah.)  Unless any of his "Latest Littermates" are top tier, I'll probably just barely pull when they enter and fully cover them when Kingpin leaves...

I don't see any point in hoarding for the next top tier 5* - I'll get her when I get her and so long as I'm judicious, I will get her.  I may be the whipping boy for those who cover her instantly, but that's just 2-4 weeks...

#mpqfirstworldproblems

Interesting choice of pronoun.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kitty looks good and I do want to champ her but like many have stated already, I won't pull for one ok and two sub-par characters. I will add one cover for KP and keep the hoard for Cpt. Marvel's trio and just hope they are better.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Kitty looks good and I do want to champ her but like many have stated already, I won't pull for one ok and two sub-par characters. I will add one cover for KP and keep the hoard for Cpt. Marvel's trio and just hope they are better.

Kingpin should still be in Latest Legends when the Captain Marvel Movie is released. But maybe January's fivestar will be better.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was doing the math and you'll need to wait 20 weeks if you want to pull for a trio of (maybe) good characters that don't include Kingpin.  See you in May?
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I was doing the math and you'll need to wait 20 weeks if you want to pull for a trio of (maybe) good characters that don't include Kingpin.  See you in May?
    Which should be when the 5* tie-in to Avengers Endgame is released.
    Hoarding until that happens.  I won't be able to get Kitty and have to wait until MEH hits level 350 (only 68 covers to go!) to finish Loki.  Cable will also be gone at that point and I have him fully covered.  So, I hope the current LLs around Endgame release look like...

TBD but decent (next release after Kingpin)
    Cap Marvel
    Adam Warlock (or another strong endgame tie-in that I would HOPE is top tier)

Wishful thinking, but it's all I got :neutral:

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    GrimSkald said:

#mpqfirstworldproblems

Interesting choice of pronoun.
    Well, considering there's a decent chance the next top-tier 5* will be a woman, I figured I may as well default to the female pronoun.  It's an arbitrary decision regardless, though I suppose I could have used "they" instead.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wont you all feel silly when 5* turns out to be a dud and you hoarded for nothing.