If it were possible, would you be in favor of a PVP option that would lock out 5 star characters?

Options
13»

Comments

• nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No
    You could look at your other marvel game for inspiration.  Allow character to be used only once within 2 hour windows.  Then it resets.  gives you more strategy to maximize points with your roster.
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes
    I would love this. I have a ton of 4* characters I would like to use, but I can't because I have 3 championed 5*s, so all I face are other 5*s.

I mean, sure I *could* use the 4*s (I have tried a lot recently) but they get crushed on match damage alone (which Is why I have to use 5*s instead of 4*)
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2018
    Options
    No
    No.  It is called "off season event you hate".
    All you will mostly see is Grocket, Gamora, and Medusa variants.
    On the forums you would see people complaining about it.
    They would complain they don't have those characters, and how it is not fair, or how come all the leaders have it.
    Some would also complain about seeing level 370 four star characters. 
    FYI I am a five star player and my medusa is 370. Grocket is 360 and is my four star favorite, so I might hate the event, but I would at lease place. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unsure
    nippy said:
    You could look at your other marvel game for inspiration.  Allow character to be used only once within 2 hour windows.  Then it resets.  gives you more strategy to maximize points with your roster.
    In practice this would probably be awful, particularly for new players with small rosters.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No
    You want variety, play pve and use who ever you want. I personally didn't spend 5 years chasing, acquiring, and building the best characters to never use them. We already have these in the off season and they're terrible.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes
    MPQ needs to add more game modes in general. It has been the same for years. Other games add other tweaks and extra ways to play, some seasonal. There should be the same 2.5 days PVP AND add on another with different arrangement - could be no 5*, could be buffed 5*, could be team affiliation based, 1 day long that pops up from time to time, whatever. We all want to use more of our roster that we build and enjoy a little variety in challenges.  
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yes
       Just to help me understand this more clearly; those who are saying that this idea would keep them away from using their 5 stars in PVP, could you please elaborate?  If there is a PVP that is open to 1*-5*, basically how it is now, or a choice to choose a separate PVP that only allows only 1*-4*s how would this alleviate 5* play?  I'm seriously not trying to be confrontational; just looking to see what reasoning I'm missing/not understanding.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes
    jtsings said:
       Just to help me understand this more clearly; those who are saying that this idea would keep them away from using their 5 stars in PVP, could you please elaborate?  If there is a PVP that is open to 1*-5*, basically how it is now, or a choice to choose a separate PVP that only allows only 1*-4*s how would this alleviate 5* play?  I'm seriously not trying to be confrontational; just looking to see what reasoning I'm missing/not understanding.
    Usually it's an optimization question.

If I say you can do a job for $200 or $250, is that really a "choice"?  It's basically a $250 job.

Then if I say you were happy with the $250 because you chose it, is that true?  Not really.  Maybe you think you should have been paid $350.

Stuff like that.

If there's an exclusive 5* part, who wants to do that if there's no better prizes?  Even if there's better prizes if it's more hassle than it's worth it's a no-go again.  There's a reason you see plenty of players with championed 5* rosters in PvE SCL 7, and it's not because they can't handle SCL 8.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

In the Gambit days, I would have voted Yes immediately.  Now I would probably still vote Yes, but only if the idea was extended to include all * ratings.  Something like selecting a clearance level, but instead it's the level of handicap:

• 1* only
    • Up to and including 2*
    • Up to and including 3*
    • Up to and including 4*
    • Anything goes.

I'd also be in favour of an amendment to the scoring system based on the relative strength of the teams in addition to the relative points in the rankings.

Beat the first seed team with 3 level 550 5*?  38 points with the modifier gets you 1 point.

Beat the first seed team with the loaner and a couple of 1*?  38 points with the modifier gets you 38 points.

Beat 3 level 550 5* with 3 level 370 4*?  75 points with the modifier gets you 150 points.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes
    No.  It is called off season event you hate and all you will mostly see is Grocket Gamora and Medusa. 
    I call that Shield Sim. I also call it an easy win for my Carol, Thing, XFDP team.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No
    4* player here.
    Team with a single 5*, often not well covered are a yummy thing to squash. And I like as well myself using one of my not well covered 5* to start a pvp event before switching to my real team.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes
    Yes
    I have 10-5* and 67-4* promoted and if i wanna play pvp i must use only the 5*, so, i don't play pvp from far because is not funny.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't play PVP
    I voted "I don't do PvP"  The reason I don't do PvP is because I don't have the "correct" five stars champed.  While my Thor is champed, Okoye is at eight covers and Jessica and Daredevil are both at seven.  Nearly all of the PvP teams I ran into once I got into the 5-star realm ran at least two of these people, if not three.  It was a good recipe for getting continually whacked.  I just do PvE now.  Even with Okoye as my bonus hero, it will take forever to get her champed...as bonus 5-star covers are like unicorns.

How about "Heroic" PvP, where you can pick only certain characters from your roster?  If you don't have them, you can still play and you the standard 1/1/1 loaner.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No
    shardwick said:
    No.  It is called off season event you hate and all you will mostly see is Grocket Gamora and Medusa. 
    I call that Shield Sim. I also call it an easy win for my Carol, Thing, XFDP team.
    Fair enough. But that is because the match making rating system has you face people in relative range of you.  I would also guess you also normally don't face players who have level 370 four stars.
  • shardwick
    Options
    Yes
    shardwick said:
    Fair enough. But that is because the match making rating system has you face people in relative range of you.  I would also guess you also normally don't face players who have level 370 four stars.
    I dunno because my MMR is pretty wide open. My best characters are in the low 300s. I see everything from people that use low level 4s to guys that have level 400 5s and even a 450 will attack me now and then. I'll just look at the retal and think "And people want pvp to be even more open? So I can get hit by like level 500+ 5s?"
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes
    I think this would solve many problems.
  • Toastedpet
    Toastedpet Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes
    Yes, but I don't think it has to be separate.

I would like them to sprinkle in more events like "balance of power"

That was really fun and forced me to use different combos, which reminded me I have 160 other different characters to play.

It also helps others which only have one or two 5*, that aren't JJ or okoye, and help them compete
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I I think PVP is antiquated honestly. I like the idea that rather than having one required character you have several and theme it that way (I.e. “X-men are required”)

I don’t like the idea of several events running simultaneously where you choose either 5*/4*/3* PvP because more events means fracturing the playerbase even more when PvP is already an unpopular game mode for many. This also means giving out wayyyy more rewards. And even though the rewards suck compared to PVE, I doubt the developers see it as a solution. 

But just like with “snowball fight” coming up, opening up the number of required characters (and boosted characters!) is a great idea. 
  • shardwick
    Options
    Yes
    I I think PVP is antiquated honestly. I like the idea that rather than having one required character you have several and theme it that way (I.e. “X-men are required”)

I don’t like the idea of several events running simultaneously where you choose either 5*/4*/3* PvP because more events means fracturing the playerbase even more when PvP is already an unpopular game mode for many. This also means giving out wayyyy more rewards. And even though the rewards suck compared to PVE, I doubt the developers see it as a solution. 

But just like with “snowball fight” coming up, opening up the number of required characters (and boosted characters!) is a great idea. 
    I think it could work if it was set up like the raid events. Or even have it just be one of your options when you're joining an event. You pick your clearance level, then you choose your time slice and then you choose whether you want 5s to be included or not.